Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#154593 - 09/13/11 10:29 AM Clark Ultralight
Blue_Ridge_Ninja Offline

Loc: North Georgia
So after borrowing a friend's Grand Trunk, I've officially converted to hanging. I've done my fair amount of hammock homework, and I think I've decided on a Clark Ultralight.

Did a search on here but didn't see much mention of Clarks. Any chance one of you can give some feedback on the Ultralight (or any other Clark model for that matter)?

#154594 - 09/13/11 11:05 AM Re: Clark Ultralight [Re: Blue_Ridge_Ninja]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
There are a few hammockers here. Check out Backpacking Light too. They have one topic area devoted to hammocks. Another place, can't recall now, devoted to hangers. I gave it a little thought earlier this summer, but it will be like started from scratch just about to get set up for hanging. Too many parts/pieces. Maybe someday.

Duane

#154606 - 09/13/11 05:35 PM Re: Clark Ultralight [Re: hikerduane]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
You don't have to start from scratch unless you want to completely retool. You can use your pad in a hammock, especially in warm weather. Either get somthing cheap and use a tarp you already have, or get a HH which comes with a tarp.

#154607 - 09/13/11 05:56 PM Re: Clark Ultralight [Re: Blue_Ridge_Ninja]
lori Offline

I researched a lot over at Hammock Forums and deduced that I wouldn't like a Clark due to claustrophobia, budget, weight of the setup and not being able to get a nice, flat lay - the Clarks are too narrow to get a lot of diagonal.

A lot of people like them okay tho. I'm doing fine with a less expensive, more open, lighter weight, and flat option - Warbonnet Blackbird.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#154608 - 09/13/11 05:59 PM Re: Clark Ultralight [Re: hikerduane]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By hikerduane
I gave it a little thought earlier this summer, but it will be like started from scratch just about to get set up for hanging. Too many parts/pieces. Maybe someday.

Duane

One of the myths about hammocking. It's not that complicated. Pads and sleeping bags work fine in a hammock. All you need is a hammock and tarp. Being able to get the tarp you need for the place you go specifically for the conditions you face is a feature, not a problem. With the right tarp, any hammock will work.

#154610 - 09/13/11 06:35 PM Re: Clark Ultralight [Re: Blue_Ridge_Ninja]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
There is a Hammock Forum. Check is there is anyone in your local area that will show you tha hammock before you buy. I have had a couple of Hennessy's, a Claytor No Net, an Eagles Nest, and now have a Warbonnet Blackbird. Matching your style to the hammock is very important.

A double layer hammock makes it easier to use a pad.

I can set up and break camp quicker than ground dwellers. There are more good hanging spots that tent sites.

Welcome to the hangin' group.

#154614 - 09/13/11 07:36 PM Re: Clark Ultralight [Re: lori]
hikerduane Offline

Thanks Lori.

#154619 - 09/13/11 08:36 PM Re: Clark Ultralight [Re: lori]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Lori, talk to me here. (serious question, no worries...just in a more aggressive mood) Is the tarp that effective in minimizing heat loss? In 1972 I tried a hammock with a pad an a sleeping bag (0 degree)(in a heavy snow year I'll grant you) in June (Mt. Lassen). I froze my butt off and got about 3 hours sleep that night...the first 3 hours, then the cold got me. My dad laughed at me in the morning, the popsicle that I, and I have not tried it after that experience. I was 15 then. But when I saw what that shugemery dude was doing in winter, that underquilt made a LOT of sense to me. But, with my dog, I haven't tried the hammock deal YET. I will get to it though,...soon too.

#154629 - 09/13/11 10:35 PM Re: Clark Ultralight [Re: skcreidc]
lori Offline

Tarps aren't for heat retention, unless you are talking about having a wind break to reduce wind chill. A large tarp with four pullouts on each side can become a hammock hut, with closed ends. I've got one of these, does pretty well for me in a good wind.

For very cold nights a single pad isn't sufficient. As on the ground, pads are additive - two pads plus one to put lengthwise across the shoulders, or a pad extender, to block side breezes that come through the hammock fabric alongside the narrow pad, help a lot. You got cold, I'd guess, because the pad was 20" narrow, and the fabric against the sides of your bag allowed cold wind through while compressing the insulation. Additional pads or a wide (40") pad or two to provide more coverage help.

A pad plus underquilt is also additive. Some people use emergency blankets and underquilts - this is particularly effective below 0F, when you want a moisture barrier between you and the underquilt so your continual moisture loss doesn't end up with ice chunks in the insulation of your underquilt.

I have awakened with ice crystals on the shell of my underquilt after a warm and comfortable night's sleep - how I know the Jacks R Better 3 season quilts are accurately rated.

Most hammockers with dogs either have the dog on the ground under them or alongside in a dog hammock.

#154630 - 09/13/11 11:16 PM Re: Clark Ultralight [Re: lori]
skcreidc Offline

Very interesting Lori...

Quote:
You got cold, I'd guess, because the pad was 20" narrow, and the fabric against the sides of your bag allowed cold wind through while compressing the insulation. Additional pads or a wide (40") pad or two to provide more coverage help.

I'd have to say you nailed that part. I had a full length foam pad with a torso length Therm-a-rest pad on top...no tarp. Water bottles were partially frozen in the morning and there was still lots of snow on the ground. To keep my boots from being frozen stiff in the morning, I tossed them in my stuffing bag and in the sleeping bag they went.

Quote:
Some people use emergency blankets and underquilts - this is particularly effective below 0F, when you want a moisture barrier between you and the underquilt so your continual moisture loss doesn't end up with ice chunks in the insulation of your underquilt.

This makes sense too!! Great stuff Lori. Thanks

#154631 - 09/13/11 11:18 PM Re: Clark Ultralight [Re: lori]
hikerduane Offline

A dog hammock? That I gotta see!:)

Duane

#154655 - 09/14/11 06:20 PM Re: Clark Ultralight [Re: lori]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
My dog sleeps under the hammock on the ground. But, she does have a lot of hair.

#154770 - 09/17/11 12:53 PM Re: Clark Ultralight [Re: skcreidc]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Last winter I posted about using "Bubble Foil" over my pad while sleeping in my hammock.

I found I did make an error in my posts back then though. I said I was using single layer bubble foil, but actually, I was using a double layer.

I scrounged a piece of single layer this summer that I'll be trying out soon. The single layer is lighter, of course, and it rolls up much smaller, and is more flexible. Hopefully, it will provide the same amount of heat reflection back into my bag.

In any case, since it also offers some insulation with the air bubbles, it should still work better, and will certainly be more durable, and heavier and bulkier, than the foil (mylar) emergency blankets.

"You want to go where?"

#154778 - 09/17/11 08:41 PM Re: Clark Ultralight [Re: billstephenson]
skcreidc Offline

Bill, let us know how it works out.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum