Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#154422 - 09/07/11 03:42 PM Bear Canister Questions
longhair29 Offline

Loc: Floridad
My Bearikade bear canister is shipping out today. I am looking for 'link's for info on how to best pack different food items. Preferrably with pictures.

I bought the weekender model which they state it holds enough for about 6-days for one person. If I can get five days worth that'd be fine.

I've always repackaged stuff into ziplocks of various sizes but am wondering what people have been able to stuff in this model of bear canister.

#154424 - 09/07/11 04:20 PM Re: Bear Canister Questions [Re: longhair29]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
This completely depends on the shape and volume of the food you are packing into it. I'm not sure how others pictures would help you. The biggest problem is usually stuffing square items into a cylindrical container. Pack things tightly and fill up all of the volume and the more you will be able to pack.

#154427 - 09/07/11 05:05 PM Re: Bear Canister Questions [Re: longhair29]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge

#154430 - 09/07/11 05:38 PM Re: Bear Canister Questions [Re: longhair29]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
You need to get the air out of all packaging, including if you repack in zip lock bags. Get a straw and zip the bag with only the straw left, suck air out, quickly pull out straw and zip completely. If left in original package, prick a hole with a pin, squeeze out air and put a piece of scotch tape over the hole.

I am packing right now for a 9-day trip in my Bearikade Weekender- and it ALL fits-- 1.2 lb per day, 2,250 cal per day, to be supplemented by fishing. I cut out circles of wax paper and place between each 2 days food. Keep all the condiments on top (or other items that you use daily such as tea bags).

I have also labeled my can "heavy" on one side and "light" on the other. Because I have to carry my can vertical in my pack, it is important to have the heavier items closer to my back. This really does make a difference in the comfort of carrying. If you are lucky to be able to put your can in your pack horizontally, this is not such an issue.

#154431 - 09/07/11 05:58 PM Re: Bear Canister Questions [Re: wandering_daisy]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Originally Posted By wandering_daisy
I have also labeled my can "heavy" on one side and "light" on the other. Because I have to carry my can vertical in my pack, it is important to have the heavier items closer to my back. This really does make a difference in the comfort of carrying. If you are lucky to be able to put your can in your pack horizontally, this is not such an issue.

This is a new one to me--I'll have to try it (even if it means getting organized eek )

BTW, a half-step between buying a vaccuum sealing system and evacuating standard ziplocks are the Ziplock vacuum bags.
Ziplock Vacuum bags

They work pretty well (not widely carried, though).

Cheers,

#154432 - 09/07/11 06:03 PM Re: Bear Canister Questions [Re: longhair29]
lori Offline

Depends on the food and the person. I had room for a bottle of wine in a platypus, and six days food, and trash/hygiene stuff, in a weekender I rented.

Follow Oregon Mouse's tips and you'll do better than 6 days easy.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#154437 - 09/07/11 06:48 PM Re: Bear Canister Questions [Re: longhair29]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
I have gotten by with food for a nine day trip, first days meals outside of course. I believe Wandering Daisy had a thread a year or two back, maybe she linked to it in her post. Never bothered to add up the calories, I don't lose too much body weight, but get tired some days, so maybe I need a few snacks during the day, which could cut me back to a eight day trip. I repackage freeze dried meals and measure out trail mix, cereal, bulk items for daily consumption. If you eat it or it goes on your skin, it goes in the canister per FS regs.
Duane

#154473 - 09/09/11 12:16 AM Re: Bear Canister Questions [Re: wandering_daisy]
longhair29 Offline

Loc: Floridad
WD,

Hey thank you for that extra good bit of advice about the air issue. The people like you who have actually used this type of bear canister is what I needed to read. I quess bagels and cream cheese are out. :>)

#154508 - 09/09/11 10:39 PM Re: Bear Canister Questions [Re: longhair29]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Just remembered another thing. The Bearikade is almost but not totally waterproof. Be sure to set it upside down when storing outdoors. Also, be sure to dry it out a home between uses. It has some metal that can rust. I also carry an extra penny to open it, just in case I loose my sporke which I use most often to open it.

#154571 - 09/12/11 07:04 PM Re: Bear Canister Questions [Re: wandering_daisy]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I use the screwdriver blade on my knife to open it. I tried carrying 4 nickels and lost them all!

That "heavy" and "light" side is a great idea, W_D, and I'll use it from now on!

#154582 - 09/12/11 09:04 PM Re: Bear Canister Questions [Re: OregonMouse]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Heh, darn nickels. smile

I keep a washer on a ditty sack drawstring for the task. Haven't lost it...yet.

Oh yeah, sometimes those Dzus fasteners need greasing and spring-bending. They can get cranky.

Cheers,

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
I use the screwdriver blade on my knife to open it. I tried carrying 4 nickels and lost them all!

That "heavy" and "light" side is a great idea, W_D, and I'll use it from now on!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
1 registered (), 202 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum