Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#150765 - 05/25/11 12:11 PM Water filteration
kcdan62 Offline

Loc: Kansas City Missouri
So trying to get water filter system somthing lighter that takes less space than the first need one I have now . I am open to any advise you all have was looking at the little msr one but read some bad reviews that they clog up fast and some times will not back flush right. With my pack and gear I have little extra space the first need works great but its big and heavy.

#150766 - 05/25/11 12:52 PM Re: Water filteration [Re: kcdan62]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
If the water you will be using is clear and free from particulate matter, you might want to consider either chemical treatment (MicroPur) or UV treatment (Steripen). The chemical tabs weigh less than an ounce for a week's supply. The Steripen Adventurer weighs about 4 oz with batteries. Do some research on these alternatives though: not everyone likes them.

#150767 - 05/25/11 12:53 PM Re: Water filteration [Re: kcdan62]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Are you set on filtration as the only water treatment approach you're interested in, or is any of (various) chemical or UV light options something you would consider?

I guess the other factor in "something lighter that takes less space" is knowing the other criteria you might have in the back of your mind. For example, the Aqua Mira Frontier Pro is quite light, but must be replaced after about 50 gallons. Not a bad choice if you don't do a lot of long trips or share a filter among several people, and can accept a flow rate that's not super fast, and might tend to clog more ...

There are just trade-offs to make in going lighter; it's tough to make a recommendation without being pretty clear on what trade-offs you're willing to make, and which ones you are not.

#150771 - 05/25/11 01:20 PM Re: Water filteration [Re: kcdan62]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I've started using the MSR Hyperflow after being a big Miniworks fan for years. I'm still limiting the use of the Hyperflow to solo use, in areas where failure is an option (i.e., state parks that actually have a potable water source in the backcountry campgrounds.) I've read those same reviews, and have a friend who experienced all those problems and swore off it in favor of the Miniworks. Although the Hyperflow has worked fine for me so far, I still don't have enough confidence in it to rely on it for group situations or longer trips. The backflush routine is just enough PITA that I carry a spare filter element (about the size and weight of a tent repair sleeve) and figure that, if it does clog, I'll change elements and backflush the old one when I get home.

If the Hyperflow continues to work, my confidence will increase and it may replace my Miniworks as my main filter by the end of summer.

There is another light, compact option: the Katadyn Mini. It weighs 8 ounces, and has a field-cleanable ceramic element (similar to, but smaller than, the Miniworks.) It requires more pump force than the Hyperflow, but probably no more than your First Need. Since it is "mini," it might take a bit longer to fill a bottle, and it's not a great solution for group use, but it's a nice little filter.

Regardless of what filter I carry, I always carry a dozen or two chlorine dioxide tablets as backup. They take up virtually no room in my first aid kit, and give me options if my filter irrevocably fails (due to malfunction, or to my clumsiness.)

#150773 - 05/25/11 01:27 PM Re: Water filteration [Re: kcdan62]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
If you're not averse to gravity filtration look at the Sawyer filters. They use the same technology as the Hyperflow but reportedly don't have the clogging issues. They make two versions: one targeting bacteria and cysts and one adding viral filtration (at a lower flow rate).

Cheers,

Originally Posted By kcdan62
So trying to get water filter system somthing lighter that takes less space than the first need one I have now . I am open to any advise you all have was looking at the little msr one but read some bad reviews that they clog up fast and some times will not back flush right. With my pack and gear I have little extra space the first need works great but its big and heavy.

#150776 - 05/25/11 02:05 PM Re: Water filteration [Re: kcdan62]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
This may, or may not, work for you, but it's not a bad option:

Use the chemical treatments like Pika mentioned and a Water Bottle with a filter in it like this Camelback Groove bottle.

If you already carry a water bottle, then the space required may be a non-issue.

If water is easy to get, these can work pretty good. I used one for a long time and filtering the water after it's been chem treated does make it taste better. I really only quit using it because I could no longer find filters for the brand I had. It seems that they've become a bit more popular this past year or two, so I may get one again.

The one I used had a soft bottle that you could squeeze to get water out of. That made it easy to squeeze a couple cups into my cooking pot. This one looks interesting (and a bit expensive) to me.

Anyway, it's an option to consider.

"You want to go where?"

#150777 - 05/25/11 02:13 PM Re: Water filteration [Re: billstephenson]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Hi Bill,

The filter in that Sawyer bottle can be adapted to an in-line or gravity system, so it's pretty versatile.

I'll add on the chemical treat+filter option that it's better to filter first, even with a simple prefilter, and chemically treat second. That's because bacteria and viruses cling to particles and some portion of the treatment chemicals will be used up oxidizing dirt in the water. By prefiltering you have fewer organisms to treat and the chemicals will go further. (If the water is visibly very clear it may not make a difference.)

Cheers,

Originally Posted By billstephenson
This may, or may not, work for you, but it's not a bad option:

Use the chemical treatments like Pika mentioned and a Water Bottle with a filter in it like this Camelback Groove bottle.

If you already carry a water bottle, then the space required may be a non-issue.

If water is easy to get, these can work pretty good. I used one for a long time and filtering the water after it's been chem treated does make it taste better. I really only quit using it because I could no longer find filters for the brand I had. It seems that they've become a bit more popular this past year or two, so I may get one again.

The one I used had a soft bottle that you could squeeze to get water out of. That made it easy to squeeze a couple cups into my cooking pot. This one looks interesting (and a bit expensive) to me.

Anyway, it's an option to consider.

#150796 - 05/25/11 09:59 PM Re: Water filteration [Re: kcdan62]
Wolfeye Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
The lightest filter I know about is the Timberline water filter - 5.3 oz. You can either use it as a pump or as a straw. I've never used one or read any reviews, so I can't attest to its performance. All I know about it is that it uses replaceable filter elements.

One system I'm curious about is Polar Pure's crystalized iodine. I've used chemical tablets in the past, but this one sounds better in that it has indefinite shelf life, which is good if you're like me and forget to replace things like your tylenol every year.

I use chemical tablets for short trips, but I lug along a big MSR filter during longer trips or when I'm going with a group.

#150801 - 05/25/11 11:29 PM Re: Water filteration [Re: Wolfeye]
Cesar Offline

Loc: El Paso, TX
Might want to check out this video Jason Klass has on a light gravity feed system.
Ultralight Gravity Pro

If your interested in a steripen REI currently has the opti on sale

#150807 - 05/26/11 09:37 AM Re: Water filteration [Re: Cesar]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
The Sawyer filter that Walmart sells fits nicely in a 1 liter Nalgene Cantene. Under 6 oz with a wet filter, you can suck out the water or squeeze the bag to filter water for a pot.

#150809 - 05/26/11 12:16 PM Re: Water filteration [Re: Rick_D]
kcdan62 Offline

I thank every one for there good advise. I think that makes a lot of sence to filter first then treet. I have looked at the filters at walmart hey y not they are cheep and if you can adaped it like to a pladapus bag and grravity feed it kinda like the guy did in the utube it looked simple and light . If I get the chance this weekend like I hope to go backpacking this weekend trying to fined a good loop trail in the Oazarks where I can take the Samoyied with me. Any one from there ? On here know of a good trail 10 to 15 mile loop. I would canoe there but I bet its way high with all the rain and tornados my friend just got back from Joplain helping the ppl and animals out there she owns a moble dog klipery .

#150813 - 05/26/11 04:56 PM Re: Water filteration [Re: kcdan62]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Hercules Glades Wilderness should be pretty nice. The creek will be running strong and the weather forecast looks good. You can bring your dog there. I'm sure you'll need a leash, but there probably won't be a lot of people there.

There are plenty of trails there. Here's a good map with the trails shown. You'll want to enter the park on east side from Hwy 125. You can park at the Lookout Tower right off Hwy 125, or, from Hwy 125 you can turn west onto Blair Ridge Rd and park at the trail head there.

You can camp anywhere in the park.

Right now I suspect the low water bridges on the west side are not passable, and if we get any rain between now and Saturday they almost certainly won't be passable.

Inside the wilderness, Long Creek may not be crossable, especially the further downstream you get, so consider that when you decide what trails you'll hike. If you want to visit "The Falls" I'd advise you take the trail from Blair Ridge Rd.

Bring some bug spray to ward off the ticks, and keep an eye out for copperheads, especially at night when you're walking around (use a flashlight), and keep an eye out for cottonmouth water moccasins along the creeks. They'll be sunning on rocks and hanging around root balls on the creek banks during the day, and swimming around looking for food at night.

If you decide to go there let me know and I'll offer a few more tips. I'm not sure yet, but I may be guiding a couple from Columbia, MO on a day hike to The Falls on Sunday, so I might see you there smile

And, if I missed the chance earlier, Welcome to the Forums!

"You want to go where?"

#150914 - 05/31/11 03:53 PM Re: Water filteration [Re: billstephenson]
kcdan62 Offline

Hello Bill thanks for the Info I printed off that map. I ended up not being able to go like I wanted will half to save up some money for gas I was thinking in my converson chevy van it would take 300 in gas or at least 200 to get there and back to KC. If I take it right you live close by there . I think I have been there or realy close to it before it is south and west of springfield I. Well decided one time to take a short cut south of springfield to puxico and the road went through that area I rember all I kept thinking was omg I want to backpack here some day . So I ended up going with the kc hikeing meetup group at a place called Kill Creek in KS I packed every thing I would have taken backpacking and did 6 miles on Sat then did 3 on Monday at smithvill lake time for better shoes got nice little blisters on both feet should have stoped to treet earler. I think. I am defenetly going to go there. Just don't want to do it in the heat. I also got some stuff from my friends store called Chlor-Floc the military uses it it uses Chlorine and a floculating agent for clarification haven't tryed it yet has any one tryedit before its made by hq company

Edited by kcdan62 (06/01/11 03:00 PM)

#150979 - 06/01/11 04:22 PM Re: Water filteration [Re: billstephenson]
kcdan62 Offline

I was just looking up taney county. I have backpacked by there at Chadwick spent a week backpacking and camping there many years ago. Camped by a spring called stump water the spring came right up the in side of a tree stump like a drinking fountion . That was one of the areas you can forget pounding in tent stakes.

#151442 - 06/13/11 02:19 PM Re: Water filteration [Re: kcdan62]
kcdan62 Offline

I went out took a good look at every thing sujested. And got the Frontier Pro . It cheep and light and can be used in many diferent ways. Also going to use the millitary cloro floc chem with it.and pre filter. Ya can't get much smaller or lighter huh.

#151488 - 06/14/11 02:48 PM Re: Water filteration [Re: kcdan62]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
Late poster here.
First Need: For me, that’s the best filter out there for your terrain.
Several times in MO, all I came across was mosquito pools of black water. The First Need cleared it right u p. There is no other filter than can take dark brown water and make it clear.
Once you get used to the First Need flow rate, you’re spoiled; and it’s harder to get used to other filters.
And you never have to filter first ‘then treat’. Thus no waiting time.
You might think the filter weighs a hefty 16oz but a lot of people carry twice that in water waiting for it to be treated. So the First Need weight is mute since you don’t have to carry as much water. Just make sure you can find a water source often; several MO trails have that nicety.

Another nice thing about the First Need is you can easily tell if it’s cracked and not working. That’s near impossible to do w/ other filters.

Now that I’ve moved to Idaho, I haven’t found any dark water. It is so clear. So I’ve been using the lighter Steripen Opti.

-Barry

The mountains were made for Teva sandals smile

#151555 - 06/16/11 09:10 AM Re: Water filteration [Re: BarryP]
kcdan62 Offline

I should get a new filter for my first need mine is the older style. And I think you are right its as fast as u can pump it with blue test dye if it comes out clear your good to go. I know I can use it with out the pump. But the frounter pro is way smaller and lighter .. my pack is small the less space the better.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 371 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum