Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#150679 - 05/23/11 03:43 PM Stove Help
Skyquest Offline

Hi,

I am a student and avid backpacker. I recently was allocated a project that requires finding a solution to a problem. I chose backpacking and one of the problems I have run into is with the stoves. I never seem to have level ground for the stove so have to hold the pot or pan on the stove to stop it from slipping off. Was wondering if anyone else has this same problem and if you see it as a minor inconvenience or a real pain.

Any feedback appreciated
Andrew

#150680 - 05/23/11 03:45 PM Re: Stove Help [Re: Skyquest]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
Minor inconvenience. It is always possible to create or find enough of a level area to accommodate a small backpacking stove.

#150682 - 05/23/11 03:53 PM Re: Stove Help [Re: Skyquest]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Only a small burner atop a narrow fuel cartridge seems to be a challence to balance. For that you can 1. find a flat rock or piece of wood 2. place in soft sand or dirt or 3. get one of the tripod cartridge leg gizmos.

Other types of stoves seem to rely on three legs or supports to enable leveling on most surfaces. Four-legged stoves can be trickier.

Cheers,

#150683 - 05/23/11 03:55 PM Re: Stove Help [Re: Skyquest]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Minor issue, solved by sticks, stones or moving dirt etc. no additional gear required.

#150689 - 05/23/11 07:39 PM Re: Stove Help [Re: Skyquest]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Sorry. I am like the others, never have really given it a thought. Most of the problems I relate to involve functionality vs weight vs cost.

#150693 - 05/23/11 08:14 PM Re: Stove Help [Re: Skyquest]
lori Offline

Makes me wonder where you are backpacking. Mountains where I go have lots of surfaces of varying grades, and finding a square foot of flat isn't so difficult.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#150694 - 05/23/11 08:24 PM Re: Stove Help [Re: Skyquest]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Minor to non-existent issue; never had a problem finding a level spot 5 or 6 inches in diameter.

#150695 - 05/23/11 08:39 PM Re: Stove Help [Re: Glenn]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
Probably the worst case scenario for level surfaces would be big wall climbs where you would be using portaledges hanging on vertical rock walls. In that situation a hanging stove would solve the problem.

I've only done one wall bivouac, a long time ago. We had a small ledge and a hot breakfast.....

#150703 - 05/23/11 11:57 PM Re: Stove Help [Re: oldranger]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Yeah...we have those little tripod legs, and my wife loves them. Just dig them into the dirt a bit, and you have a much more stable stove.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#150704 - 05/24/11 01:03 AM Re: Stove Help [Re: Skyquest]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
This has never been an issue with me. There's always a level piece of ground close by. Yes, my pot has gone off the stove a couple of times, but that's because I bumped into it!

#150727 - 05/24/11 12:41 PM Re: Stove Help [Re: Skyquest]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I guess I am one of the few who agree with you. I agree it can be annoying getting the stove level and stable. I've certainly spilled pots of water and even dinners because the stove wasn't stable. It isn't so much that there are "no places" available, but the convenient places are not level. You set-up camp, and then there are natural places to set-up for cooking and eating. Those most convenient places rarely offer a perfectly level spot to set-up the stove on and cook.

However, I have to agree with others sentiment that the inconvenience does not mean I would be willing to carry an extra piece of equipment. I think you have a real issue, but your solution would have to be ultra lightweight to be worth lugging up a mountain.

I think this is akin to a pouch cozy. Pouch cozies certainly aren't necessary. Many dinner rehydrate fine without them (even at elevation). Some end up a little crunchy. The problem isn't that bad, but the solution is ridiculously lightweight so people bring the cozy along.

If you get a solution around the weight of a pouch cozy... you have a winner.

#150732 - 05/24/11 01:57 PM Re: Stove Help [Re: Skyquest]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I've struggled with this problem a bit. It's as much a morel struggle as it is a gear issue, and both are generally a minor problem, but even minor problems can be a pain.

As for the gear part of the problem, ideally, a tripod of adjustable legs on a stove stand would be the solution, but every piece of added gear equals more weight, and sometimes added complexity, and we all want to avoid that.

As for morals, ideally, there would always be a level spot and I'd never have to tear up the earth to use my stove, but that's seldom the case around here. You either have to scrape a spot level, or dig in at least one leg on your stove. No one wants a wobbly stove, and a rock or piece of wood doesn't always easily solve that problem, so it's hard to avoid some scraping or digging and rearranging.

While I may be in a minority here on this, sometimes I don't like moving rocks. Sometimes it really bothers me to do that. Often, there are little ecosystems that develop in, around, and under rocks and I don't like disturbing them, and I am always cautious not too.

"You want to go where?"

#150746 - 05/24/11 04:07 PM Re: Stove Help [Re: Skyquest]
Skyquest Offline

This is great feedback. When you go backpacking does anyone take a camera(with lens) or binoculars with them? I ask this as the solution I came up with for the stove is very lightweight, works on almost any terrain, takes a few seconds to setup and is very non-complicated but can also be used for steadying a camera or binoculars on rocks etc. so has multiple uses.

many thanks for the feedback - this is an interesting project smile

Edited by Skyquest (05/24/11 04:29 PM)

#150747 - 05/24/11 04:16 PM Re: Stove Help [Re: Skyquest]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
After you present it for you class, be sure to share the solution with the rest of us, too.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 93 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum