Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#149331 - 04/18/11 09:31 AM Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1,..
BradMT Offline

Who's got one?

What do you think of it compared to, say, the MSR Hubba?

Seems to have more usable space for less weight.

Thanks.

#149332 - 04/18/11 10:30 AM Re: Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1,.. [Re: BradMT]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I've used both the Copper Spur 1 and MSR Hubba; I chose the Hubba (and, eventually, replaced it with the Carbon Reflex 1.)

The Copper Spur is a very nice tent, and if you're not as picky about gear as I am, you'll like it a lot. (The fellow who got mine does.) You're right: it has more floor space than the Hubba or Carbon Reflex, and that space is probably a bit better arranged. (Though, in practice, I didn't find much meaningful difference - but I don't carry a lot of gear that needs stowed, either.) The CS1 is narrower at the foot and wider at the head, so you get a bit more room in the head and shoulder area to store gear; it's a bit harder to store a pack in the foot end, though. As far as weight, the CS1 is a bit lighter than the Hubba - but a bit heavier than the Carbon Reflex 1. The CS1 and Hubba are both freestanding; the Carbon Reflex 1 is not (though you can steal an idea from Tarptent and use your hiking poles to make it reasonably freestanding.) The CS1 is the bulkiest of the three tents to pack, followed (in order) by the Hubba and the Carbon Reflex 1.

All three tents are roomy, well-ventilated, lightweight, and easy to pitch. They're both stable in the wind, and will keep you dry. So, why did I prefer the Hubba?

First, the CS1 has a definite high(head) and low (foot) end - which means that if, like me, you occasionally end up with the head on the low end of the site, you have to turn it around - which may put the door in an inconvenient spot. With the Hubba, you just reverse the head and foot of your sleeping bag; since it's a symmetrical tent, it doesn't have a specific head and foot.

The door placement is affected by that design feature, too: the CS1's door is at the high end, with the result that you have to get in and scoot around a little to sit up; it also means that you can only open one side of the vestibule. With the Hubba, the door is dead center: you get in, and you're sitting in the middle; you simply lie down, and when you sit up, your sitting motion follows the shape of the tent, which puts you at the high point naturally. It also means that the Hubba uses a split vestibule: you can leave either side open, depending on wind or rain direction. The vestibule on both tents is adequately roomy to stow your boots, or a stove and pot, without interfering with access or egress.

The fly on both tents forms a small rear vestibule - it might hold some small gear - say, the stove and/or pot. The CS1 does score good points here - it has a small zippered access panel that lets you access this vestibule from inside the tent. Neither the Hubba nor the Carbon Reflex 1 has this nifty feature.

The deal-breaker, for me, with the CS1 was the door hinge: the door hinges on the bottom, which means the door falls onto the floor of the tent. You can roll it and tie it against the threshold, but I never found this to keep it completely out of the way - I was always concerned that I might tear the mesh getting in or out. (Are you getting the impression that I'm not at my graceful best entering and exiting a tent?) I far prefer the side-hinged door, like the Hubba/CR1 has.

Another thing I didn't like about the CS1 was the vent on the rainfly (the Hubba/CR1 does not have this.) I've always been paranoid about holes in my fly, and feel better not having that feature. I never had any significant problems with condensation in either tent, and it never mattered whether the CS1's roof vent was opened or closed. This isn't to say I've never had condensation (I have, in both tents) - but it's never caused any dripping or other issues in either tent, it's just been a minor amount I noticed on the inside of the fly in the morning. The large amounts of mesh in both tents seems to allow adequate breeze at floor level to keep things under control. Of course, this equates to "breezy" in cooler weather too; the CS1's nylon wall goes a few inches higher than the Hubba's, which helps a little - the extra height may also be why Big Agnes designed that roof vent, too.

I really can't fault the CS1; it would be my second choice - and it didn't miss by a whole lot being my first choice. I think it may be that I'm a bit fussier about gear details than most folks - and maybe not in a totally healthy way. crazy

Either tent will work well.

#149340 - 04/18/11 01:15 PM Re: Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1,.. [Re: Glenn]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
What is this a gear review? smile Thanks for the info, considered the CS1, but want to help Henry out if I can next time I get another shelter.

#149345 - 04/18/11 02:46 PM Re: Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1,.. [Re: hikerduane]
Glenn Offline

I've tried Henry's Rainbow, which is half again as wide as, but otherwise a virtual clone of, the Carbon Reflex 1 (or maybe the other way around - the Hubba came out before the Rainbow, but the CR1 came out after the Rainbow.)

I really liked it, but it had one feature that didn't appeal to me personally: with the Hubba, I can leave the fly off and have nothing but mesh around me. With the Rainbow, I couldn't do that: the front is all mesh, and can be exposed; the other 3 sides are solid nylon wall and roof, except for a strip of mesh at the bottom and a small rear wall vent. I found that, on those hot, muggy Ohio nights, where the temperatures and humidity are both in the high 80's, the Hubba was significantly cooler and less muggy-feeling than the Rainbow.

Again, I may just be too picky, but the Hubba worked better for me, on the kinds of trips I take. That's not intended as a slam against Tarptent; I was mightily impressed with the quality and design, and if I were camping somewhere less humid than the open-air sauna we snidely call "nice weather" around here, I'd choose one in a heartbeat.

#149354 - 04/18/11 07:20 PM Re: Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1,.. [Re: Glenn]
BradMT Offline

Glenn, thanks for taking the time for such a detailed explanation of your choice.

I completely agree with the Hubba having the better door arrangement. I wish the CS1 had a "D" door instead of an up-side-down "U" door. However, I've lived with various U doors since I started BPing in 1974 or 75 so I can tolerate it. Not ideal, but it's ok.

Yes, the vent in the flysheet isn't perfect but my BD Firstlight has essentially the same thing and it hasn't caused me any problems.

Condensation really isn't an issue for me in the high, dry West but I do like the idea of an extra vent for warm summer evenings.

I sat in the Hubba the other day and I found it mighty confining... but I "could" live with it. I think if I went with the Hubba I'd go all the way and get the Carbon Reflex... save some weight.

Mainly I want a light, bombproof, freestanding tent that can take 60+ mph winds and blowing rain/snow above timberline, and a tent I can live in for long fall nights in November when elk hunting. I like keeping my rifle in the tent along side me at night, especially when pesky fall grizzlies are around, and I think the CS1 will give me the room to do that.

Again, thank you VERY much for taking the time to write such a concise and thoughtful evaluation.

Like you, I'm VERY anal about my gear...

#149355 - 04/18/11 07:44 PM Re: Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1,.. [Re: BradMT]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
BradMT, another double wall tent you may want to look into is the light heart solo. Its basically a 1.5 man tent with options for customization. Its not cheap (otherwise I would have one already), but it is sil-nylon and only weighs 27 oz for $245. There is a cuben version available also but Yikes! on price. I've been interested because I usually bring my dog so I need a 2 man tent.

Side note; I also don't like the door on that particular Big Agnes. It is much harder to keep things clean.

#149356 - 04/18/11 07:53 PM Re: Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1,.. [Re: skcreidc]
hikerduane Offline

light heart solo? Never heard of them.

Edit. Just checked them out. I like it, except I don't use trekking poles. Down side to me, only a 30 day money back guarantee due to the usual, but needs to be in new condition to be returned. I believe some of the other cottage industry gear makes can beat that guarantee. Not available for sale until May, no pre-orders, but available at the annual PCT kickoff thing here in CA. The thru hikers need it before that to try out I would think. We'll see.

Edited by hikerduane (04/18/11 08:04 PM)

#149357 - 04/18/11 08:04 PM Re: Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1,.. [Re: BradMT]
Glenn Offline

For another half pound or so, you could get a Carbon Reflex 2 or Copper Spur 2 (the CS2 is a few ounces heavier than the CR2); both have 29 square feet of floor space, and both have zipper access to the rear vestibule. (Not that I'd ever try to confuse the issue. ;))

It sounds like, for a one-man tent, the Copper Spur would be a better choice for you, between those two tents. Your storage needs would definitely exceed what I need, and the extra roominess would definitely be nice for extended stays. Also, I don't encounter the kind of winds you mention (deep, thick woods provide an excellent windbreak; we could hear the wind howl up in the tree tops last weekend, but felt virtually nothing down on the ground.) Although I have no experience to base it on, I'd have serious doubts about the CR1's ability to handle it. The CS1, with it's double-Y aluminum frame, inspires a lot more confidence about stability in a wind.

#149359 - 04/18/11 08:59 PM Re: Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1,.. [Re: hikerduane]
skcreidc Offline

Duane, there is an option to buy lite poles that go with the tent. Obviously, that adds weight and cost. But the big reason I couldn't pull the trigger is that there was a buzz about the tent but not a lot of real testing presented. Everyone was looking forward to doing some real miles with the thing. Moderator Tom turned me on to that tent design. The word on the net is that the owner is trying to make all the tents in China now.

I was going to pick up a Big Agnes Fly Creek 2 at REI. With the member discount and the dividend, the price was looking right. But I waited too long making up my mind. I am now leaning towards a 2 man tarptent.

Edited by skcreidc (04/18/11 09:02 PM)
Edit Reason: poor spelling

#149364 - 04/18/11 10:24 PM Re: Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1,.. [Re: skcreidc]
hikerduane Offline

I'm leaning towards nothing, my Squall still works great after 5-6 years, whenever the original came out. Some things I like to keep up on a little or trends. I still have space in my garage for collector stoves.:)

#149367 - 04/18/11 11:35 PM Re: Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1,.. [Re: hikerduane]
skcreidc Offline

Well, I am over what I have been hauling around for my family of 4+dog. A squall 2 is pretty high on my list at 2lbs 2oz.

#149369 - 04/19/11 12:51 AM Re: Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1,.. [Re: skcreidc]
knosaj Offline

Loc: Tx
like mine! im 5'8, 165 and have plenty of room for me and my gear. actually me and my wife use it although a bit snug. there are a few too many stakes and would rather have a side open. other than that, its a sturdy little tent and i def. dont regret the purchase. easy to pitch and packs up small

#149372 - 04/19/11 08:55 AM Re: Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1,.. [Re: skcreidc]
hikerduane Offline

My old floorless Squall is a pound and a half.:)

#149373 - 04/19/11 09:19 AM Re: Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1,.. [Re: hikerduane]
skcreidc Offline

Nice Duane! Tyvec ground cloth? Hummmmmmmmmmmmm. I was really excited about the liteheart solo cuben...with poles 1.5 lbs. But $500+....I waited for the tech high to wear off and I cannot justify the purchase. Wheeeew! Sounds like another glowing recommendation.

Edited by skcreidc (04/19/11 09:26 AM)

#149389 - 04/19/11 01:10 PM Re: Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1,.. [Re: skcreidc]
hikerduane Offline

I retired the Tyvek, I use stuff from Gossamer Gear, that polycryo stuff, 3-4oz or less after I custom cut it. Tyvek is too heavy smile at 6-7 oz. I think. Keep it out of the sun. I only had issues on one trip with it to Rancheria Falls. Still worked.

#149424 - 04/20/11 10:47 AM Re: Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1,.. [Re: BradMT]
acronym Offline

Loc: Boston - MA
I have Glenn's Copper Spur UL1 (thank you again Glenn) and I agree with everything he says - although I can't compare it with the Carbon Reflex or the Hubba.

The Copper Spur replaced a TT Contrail even though the CS was almost 20oz heavier (!). I mostly bring the CS when group hiking; especially with new campers. The extra room is welcomed since there is usually a few extra hours at night. Since I mainly hike in the Whites, we are setting up on platforms and the CS is (mostly) freestanding (this was the Contrails main fault-plus the front entry).

New England is humid, the double wall is a definite plus over single wall tents (try camping under a pine tree during a rainstorm with a single wall tent - I assure you it will be a sleepless night).

In all, the headroom is sufficient, side entry is nice - there is also a small door on the other side's vestibule, it is pretty light, easy to setup and it's long enough for me (6') a regular neo-air and winter bag. I've had it since '09 and it is holding up very well.

I don't mind that the door is inward falling instead of a D. It would be nice to shave a few more ounces; and I did hear the Big Agnes design team said it was too heavy, perhaps they will redesign it soon.

I've narrowed my shelters down to 3: the Copper Spur, a Hexamid and a REI 4 season. The CS and Hexamid share equal use until winter.

I'm going out with a former marine/ultra marathoner for an overnighter this Friday - and I'm definitely taking the Copper Spur, I'm going to really need the extra comfort for recovery...

#154229 - 09/01/11 01:57 PM Re: Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1 [Re: acronym]
ohiohiker Offline

I'm considering a BA Copper Spur UL1 after seeing it on a trip recently.

How high is the peak of the CS fly door? Anyone know if it lower than the Tarptent Moment?

I'm having difficulty picturing the wall slope at the head end. It seems there are no straight-on photos of the wall which shows how much it slopes inward. Even better would be a photo with a person or sleeping bag inside the tent and showing the wall slope at the end.

Here's an insightful review with great photos:
http://www.petesy.co.uk/big-agnes-copper-spur-ul1-review/

One photo shows the minimal side wall slope very well.

The guyout points seem to be not well thought-out. It apparently has 3 at the head end, which is the end containing the vent. It only has one at the bottom of the fly on the foot end. It seems like you'd want to pitch the non-vented foot end into the wind, but that end has less guylines. The tent structure seems to rely on the flex of the poles with the hub to withstand wind gusts, but apparently the poles still get bent sometimes. Guyouts seem like a better strategy. I wouldn't mind sewing on my own guyout points, but I'm sure that would void the BA warranty. Not a big deal, as I'll be in the forest 95% of the time anyway. It apparently holds up acceptably for even the open, windy, rainy UK.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 182 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum