Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#146992 - 02/25/11 09:16 PM Decisions, decisions...
Banjopickin Offline

Loc: NC
Hey ya'll,

Ive been snooping around this forum for a while now, and reading a ton of posts on everything lightweight. First I must say that there are some pretty knowledgable folks on this forum and ya'll have helped increase my enjoyment of the outdoors immensely. Now the questions... Ive used what I've read and learned to finally get my packweight, including food and water, down to about 25 pounds for a 5 day 4 night jaunt into the woods. My current pack is a Mountainsmith crux and works great but is a little on the heavy side, weighing in at 4 lbs 8 oz. Im planning on buying a new lightweight pack and Im stuck between the Granite Gear Vapor Trail and Six Moon Designs Swift pack with the padded hip belt.
The Vapor Trail is a little heavier but has a greater capacity and it comes highly recommended from some friends. Also, they have an optional "lid" that goes on top and seems like a nice option. The Swift is very light but the mesh pockets seem like they would get caught on the laurel and rhododendren where I hike in the Southern Appalachians. Plus, I doubt I would use them for storing anything since they're on the outside.
So, my question is...has anyone ever used any of these packs and if so, what are some pros/cons? Is there another pack out there that is great that I dont even know about? The issues Im most concerned about are durability and comfort. since this will be my one big purchase of the year, any and all input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks ya'll and happy trails.

Edited by Banjopickin (02/25/11 09:49 PM)

#146995 - 02/25/11 10:07 PM Re: Decisions, decisions... [Re: Banjopickin]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
Not used any of those packs, but the standard advise is to get the pack that will best fit you and your gear.

Anyway-- other LW packs to consider: Gossamer Gear's G4 and Mariposa Plus, Mount Laurel Design's Exodus.

As for the mesh outer pocket-- I always use mine to either store wet items (rain gear, tarp, socks etc) or I put items that I need quick access to (tarp, windshirt, map, gloves, hat etc). I find it much more convenient than going inside my backpack.

However, if you do not like the mesh, then something like a Golite Jam is a nice compromise--55L, 29oz, full zip outer pocket and it is currently 40% off with Golite's coupon code.

#146996 - 02/25/11 10:18 PM Re: Decisions, decisions... [Re: Banjopickin]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Other packs to look at: Six Moon Designs Starlight (with the "optional" stays, which really make a difference), ULA-Equipment Circuit or Ohm, Gossamer Gear Gorilla.

Your load right now, assuming the total pack weight you list includes that 4 1/2 pounder, is borderline for a frameless pack like the SMD Swift (although adding the optional hoop stay would make a difference there), the Mountain Laurel Designs packs or the Gossamer Gear frameless packs. If what you have now is the maximum you'll ever have, fine, but for longer trips, desert trips where you'll have to carry extra water or cold weather trips it might be rather uncomfortable. Individuals vary considerably in the amount they can comfortably carry in a frameless pack, but for most it's about 20 lbs., including the pack.

The most important thing is that the pack fit both you and the load you plan to carry in it. You'll have to do some trial and error, including being prepared to pay return postage if a pack ordered over the internet doesn't work out. Pack fit is almost as individual as shoe fit, so this is something you really have to work out for yourself.

When you go try that Vapor Trail (carried by many outfitters, so that might be a good place to start), take along all your gear, including the weight/bulk equivalent of a week's food, to make sure it fits. If you haven't yet read this article on the home page of this site, it will provide some useful ideas.

#147015 - 02/26/11 08:55 AM Re: Decisions, decisions... [Re: Banjopickin]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I used the Vapor Trail when it first came out, for about 3 years, and really liked it. It has virtually no feature set, but that's not a problem if you're carrying minimal gear. It is a large pack - if you're carrying more compact gear, you may find that it's too much volume, so take your gear to the store and see how it fits.

It's a very comfortable, reliable pack; I never had any issues with construction or uncomfortable fit (as long as I kept the total pack weight under 30 pounds.) The suspension is full-feature: well-padded hipbelt and shoulder straps, trim tabs on the hipbelt, and load lifter tabs on the shoulder straps. (Some may argue that these aren't needed on packs intended for less than 20 pound loads; I really like having them.) However, it is a fixed suspension pack - if you're a bit too tall or short relative to the suspension, you might have issues with the fit.

If fit is a problem, take a look at the Escape AC60 (I would recommend the Nimbus Ozone, an adjustable VT clone, but I don't find it on their current website offerings - they may have discontinued it.) It weighs about 3 pounds, but has a tremendous feature set and adjustable torso length.

So, if the VT is a great pack, why am I no longer using it? Because a couple of gear changes put my load a touch heavier, and the pack just didn't seem to fit as well as it used to. (It certainly couldn't be that I'm getting older.) I gave away my original VT, and when I finally got my load back down to 20 or 22 pounds, the newer version of the VT didn't fit me right; they might have changed the length of the fixed suspension just enough to throw it off. Like everyone else said, the most important thing about a pack is how it fits with the load you intend to carry.

#147018 - 02/26/11 09:17 AM Re: Decisions, decisions... [Re: Banjopickin]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
I was kinda in the same boat. I started back into hiking with a MountainSmith Cross Country. This is a very nice pack but heavy. I currently am using My Homeade Gossamer Gear G4. I feel I improved it bye adding a arched aluminum support sandwiched between two layers of closed cell foam in the back pad. I went and did five miles loaded with this pack for the first time a couple days ago. I was Amazed! I would definatly look at Gossamer Gears offerings before you decide.

#147019 - 02/26/11 09:41 AM Re: Decisions, decisions... [Re: Glenn]
Banjopickin Offline

The heaviest pieces of my gear right now are my shelter, GoLite Shangri-la 1 at a little over a pound, and my cookset, a Snowpeak 700ml pot and Antigravity gear alcohol stove w/ 10 oz. of fuel, at approx. a pound. The pack is almost always going to be used in warm weather. I wear my rainsuit to sleep with a homemade fleece blanket that total, might weigh 2 lbs. My sleeping pad however is a walmart foam pad ive had for 5 years and works well for me but is long, at 19" and 5.5" in diameter. I have a weird quirk where I hate having stuff hanging outside or on my pack. Ideally I would be putting everything inside the pack, including said sleeping pad. I think the Vapor Trail might be the one to go with since it seems like it can fit all my stuff inside, and is more streamlined. Those mesh pockets on the Swift are liable to drive me nuts, grabbing every piece of laurel and rhododendren withing reach. Plus I'd be thinking about the stuff hanging in em' and constantly checking behind me to see if anything fell out. I'll probably order both and just send back the one that doesnt work for me. Thanks for all ya'lls help!

#147031 - 02/26/11 11:12 AM Re: Decisions, decisions... [Re: Banjopickin]
dragoro Offline

Loc: Michigan
I love my mountain smith pack. I accept it's extra weight for it's convienence, quality, and durability.

#147032 - 02/26/11 11:23 AM Re: Decisions, decisions... [Re: dragoro]
Banjopickin Offline

Me too!, but I usually backpack solo because my friends gripe that they dont have any gear. A new backpack and an opportunity to get my friends into backpacking using my older stuff is a win/win.

#147068 - 02/26/11 11:21 PM Re: Decisions, decisions... [Re: Banjopickin]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I like my Vapor Trail because it fits well. I tried the Ozone line and couldn't get them to fit right even with the adjustable suspension. With a compact down bag I can get my pad, hammock, alcohol stove and everything else for about 5 days inside. If I switch to my synthetic quilt or go longer then the pad has to go outside. Since the Vapor Trail holds the pad vertically along the back of the pack, that isn't a problem for me.

#147105 - 02/27/11 11:22 PM Re: Decisions, decisions... [Re: Banjopickin]
hafdome Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
I've had a SMD Starlight for several years. Its been on several multi-day trips. The optional stays do a good job of transferring weight to the padded hipbelt. Excellent volume, nice comfort, great pack for me to about 35 lbs.

I recently bought a SMD Swift with the unpadded wing belt with pockets. I carried 24 lbs. on a 9 mile 3800ft. elevation gain day hike and found the Swift very comfortable. I hiked long stretches with the belt unhooked. With a Ridgerest pad in the pocket as a frame it transferred weight quite well. It does have an optional stay option similar to the Starlight which I didn't get.

I have also carried the Swift on an overnight trip 15 miles 2800 ft. elevation gain. On the overnight I was sort of planning on snow so I packed a 3.75 season load which came to 32 lbs. According to my back and shoulders the Swift starts getting cranky at anything over 30 lbs. Since the waist belt is minimal transferring weight to it is kind of a waste. IMHO if you can keep your weight under 30 lbs. the Swift is a sweet pack. As far as the mesh pockets I have never had a problem with snagging on underbrush or losing gear.

The SMD packs are very well made but they are not designed to be bomb-proof. If you take care of the gear it will last for many years. Hope this helps.

Edited by hafdome (02/27/11 11:26 PM)

#147109 - 02/28/11 07:32 AM Re: Decisions, decisions... [Re: hafdome]
Banjopickin Offline

Since the pack is gonna be mostly a warm weather bag, I think keeping it under 20lbs. shouldnt be a problem, under 30lbs. definetley. I used my digital fishing scale to weigh my spring/summer/fall gear and it totaled out at 12lbs, with a full 2L platypus. Im really looking forward to the lighter weight and some new gear. BTW, has anyone ever used the SMD Webbing belt? thought of trying it instead of the WingBelt.

#147127 - 02/28/11 12:45 PM Re: Decisions, decisions... [Re: Banjopickin]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Just be sure to load up the pack with your gear (including the equivalent of food, fuel and water) as soon as you get it and go for several hours' hike around the neighborhood (if it's good weather, and making sure keep the pack clean) or even around the house (what I did, since it was pouring rain the day my pack arrived). Yes, a very boring hike, but you need to be sure the new pack is comfortable for you and your gear while you can still return it!

I hope you enjoy your new pack!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum