Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#138858 - 09/15/10 11:30 PM Holsters & proper pack fit
mcw3734 Offline

Seeking advice on those who carry a handgun while backpacking/hiking regarding their choice of hip holster. This also touches on the subject of how to properly fit a backpack. This is not meant to be a discussion of should one or shouldn’t one carry.

So I’m looking for a holster while wearing my backpack. My concern is that with those hip pads, it might interfere with a standard belt holster. I looked and looked for something that might work and found a Drop and Offset holster by Blade Tech on-line. I received it in the mail the same week I got my Eberlestock Dragonfly backpack.

Retrieving the gun from the holster felt clumsy, though it’s adjustable and I’m going to try different settings. I think it would feel much better held tight against my hip. Also, the Eberlestock hip pads really aren’t all that poofy and it looks like a regular holster might work. I DO NOT want a holster on the pack itself, I want to be able to take the pack off but keep the gun on me.

It also got me thinking if I’m not wearing my pack like I should. I put about 80 pounds in it and strapped it on as it came out of the box. I understand how the weight should fit on your hips, but the way I have it, the hip pads were covering my belt. My friend tells me that that is too low. For him, his might touch the top of his belt or not at all. He’s done a bunch of backpacking so he’ll help me fit the pack.

So for those who pack a handgun on their hip, what hip holster do you recommend? My gun is a S&W 629 Mountain Gun. Thanks for the feedback.

Take Care,
MIKE
mcw3734@hotmail.com

#138897 - 09/16/10 07:07 PM Re: Holsters & proper pack fit [Re: mcw3734]
sarbar Offline

Loc: WA
Safepacker. That is if you conceal carry that is.

#138899 - 09/16/10 08:54 PM Re: Holsters & proper pack fit [Re: mcw3734]
bamarammin87 Offline

Loc: alabama
With a 629, I would carry it in a chest holster, or if you are dead set on a belt holster, open carry in a leather holster, cross draw. But id definitely use a chest holster myself. I mexican carried a full size glock cross draw for awhile while hiking, it gets old. Def go with a chest holster!

#138980 - 09/18/10 03:31 PM Re: Holsters & proper pack fit [Re: mcw3734]
dla Offline

Loc: Hillsboro, Oregon, USA
I carry the 329pd, which is about a pound lighter. I have a system that works for the pack and my hip.

I use a top-flap style holster constructed of cordura and closed cell foam - made by AMS. I've used it for 50 miles of trail and bushwhacking this year and it has worked great. It hangs on to the firearm, gives excellent protection from the brush, rocks, etc. and allows reasonable access speed. The link provided gives some visuals.

The pack attachment is done using the old military pouch keepers (keepers stay permanently on the pack). I have these on both of my packs pretty much as shown in the pics. This setup doesn't cost much and it allows me to remove the holster from the pack and put it on my belt - nice when I take off around a lake fishing.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

329pd holster setup

#138983 - 09/18/10 04:30 PM Re: Holsters & proper pack fit [Re: mcw3734]
prussicnot Offline

Loc: Lynchburg, VA
I use this pouch.
I very much prefer a secure, thumb-break paddle holster, but a regular holster isn't very comfortable with a backpack's waist belt over it, and unless you have a low-ride holster, the belt will probably still cover part of the gun. The pouch disguises a handgun (beneficial for several reasons), and can be moved forward or backward a bit on the belt to relieve pressure points. I know you don't want the holster on your pack, but I am able to remove the pouch from the belt and attach it to the packs' waist belt for hiking long distances where I don't intend to take the pack off for a while. I padded the inside with open-cell foam so that the gun won't move and is always oriented the same way.

#138988 - 09/18/10 06:31 PM holsters & hip belt fit [Re: mcw3734]
Wolfeye Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I've used a chest holster & shoulder holster while wearing my pack with good results. The shoulder holster had to be adjusted right in order to stay out of the way of the pack straps, and it was more comfortable than the chest holster. I found, though, that a chest holster distributes weight better with large guns; a 6" 629 dangling on one side ended up crimping my posture after a few days.

The chest holster I used was a borrowed one from my dad, and I don't think it's made any more. I'd start by looking at the major manufacturers (Desantis, Kramer, etc.). I hear Simply Rugged makes a good one in leather... I bought a belt from them once and think their prices are reasonable.

For concealed carry with a small gun, I clip one of these onto my waist belt: http://www.kgproducts.com/HANDIBAGS.html It works, but I wouldn't try it if your waist belt is really thick. It's big enough for maybe a 3" small framed .357. It's easy to transfer it between the pack, my waist, and a car safety belt.

As far as belt/waist strap placement goes, my strap covers my belt. Both are held up by the hip bones: my belt sits just below the tops of the bones while my waist strap keeps the tops of the bones centered in the middle of their fabric, if that makes sense. I'd think that if the waist strap were high enough to not touch the belt, then the bottom of the strap would be digging into the hips. I adjust mine so it basically cups my hip bones. I'd recommend getting the pack fitted at a good sporting goods store (REI, Cabela's), get the opinions of several different staff, and stick with the method that's most comfortable.

On a side note, when hiking I replace my pants belt with a length of spectra-cored string. It's lighter. Obviously it won't work with a hip holster.

Edited by Wolfeye (09/18/10 06:43 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
1 registered (), 202 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum