Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#137365 - 08/07/10 10:29 PM Looking for a tent.
Louisiana-Camper Offline

Im looking to buy a good 3 person tent. Spending no more than $200. And that has a full vestibule. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you

#137366 - 08/07/10 11:18 PM Re: Looking for a tent. [Re: Louisiana-Camper]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Maybe something like this-
http://store.eurekatent.com/products/364783/Mountain_Pass_3XTE_Tent

Check on Campmor's website and look through our sponsors (see list on the left).

#137369 - 08/08/10 01:07 AM Re: Looking for a tent. [Re: TomD]
Louisiana-Camper Offline

Thanks for the suggestion I like this one. Do you have one like this?

#137397 - 08/08/10 06:38 PM Re: Looking for a tent. [Re: Louisiana-Camper]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
No. I have an old EMS two person winter tent. Eureka has a good reputation for low cost tents. They won't be cutting edge design or manufacturing, but should last a long time and be reliable. $200 is a hard price point to match.

I would stay away from anything from Wal-Mart or any other "big box" store. The tents you find there are cheaply made, inferior designs that are made for car camping. I've seen far too many complaints about them posted on websites from owners looking for parts to replace broken poles, etc.

FYI, most tents these days, including some high end ones are made in China. That alone is not a determining factor as to whether or not they are good tents, but almost all cheap tents come from China or SE Asia. Two things I would add-stay away from any tent with fiberglass poles (they break and can't really be fixed in the field) and ignore "minimum weight" as that is misleading. Add about a pound to what you will actually be carrying.

Edited by TomD (08/09/10 10:32 PM)

#137420 - 08/09/10 07:59 AM Re: Looking for a tent. [Re: TomD]
fritz1255 Offline

I agree with Tom - Eureka offers an excellent balance between quality and cost. Parts can be had if you break poles - our Boy Scout troop deals with this situation all the time.

A followup to the comment about most tents being made in Asia - many of the high-end tents have had their production shifted from the US to Asia, without any reduction in price - the companies are pocketing the savings. Not saying they are not good tents, but you are paying more than you should be for what you are getting.

Walmart and similar tents are essentially disposables - use a few times and toss when something breaks or tears, which is fine if the price is right and you are only planning on using it a few times.

#137426 - 08/09/10 09:49 AM Re: Looking for a tent. [Re: fritz1255]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Minor point: as far as companies pocketing the savings, this is true. But, I doubt that much of this flowed to the bottom line of the (implied) "greedy manufacturers." Given the increases that were occurring in manufacturing costs in general, the pocketing of the savings may have been more a matter of maintaining existing profit margins while avoiding (or at least minimizing) price increases to the market (i.e.: you and me.)

I don't have any data to back this up, but my own anecdotal evidence indicates that there hasn't been much, if any, increase in prices except where there's been some innovation (such as carbon fiber tent poles.) I think my Pocket Rocket and Titan kettle cost about the same now as when I bought them four or five years ago; likewise, the Hubba tent I have isn't more than $10 or $15 more now than when I bought it.

Fritz, I'm not trying to dispute your comment that we pay more than we should for what we get. I've made several purchases this year that made me gulp hard a couple of times before shelling out the money. I'm also not trying to start any arguments about what constitutes a reasonable profit, or the motives of the larger companies in this industry. But, working with my own small owner-operated business clients (I'm a CPA), I've found that most of the cost-saving efforts they make are aimed more at avoiding price increases than at a quick-and-easy grab for more profits; in fact most are making just about the same profit (which, for an owner, equals his salary) now that they did 5 years ago.

Again, I think you make a good point, but as with most things, there are also some good points on the other side - and I'm not sure where exactly the truth lies. It would be interesting to hear from someone like Henry Shires, who has a foot in both camps (being a very successful owner-operator), has not had huge price increases, and who has not, yet, moved his manufacturing operation overseas. (Franco doesn't count as an overseas "operation." grin )

I'd be really interested to find out if my impressions are backed up by the data, if anyone has any. As my wife will readily tell you, I've been wrong before.

#137443 - 08/09/10 01:31 PM Re: Looking for a tent. [Re: Glenn]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
I'd argue for a Timberline 4 - similar weight (8lbs), 3.5 season, and enough space for 3 people + gear. Costs less to; can usually get one for about 170-180, less if you can get it on sale, or a factory second. However, Timberlines don't come with vesibules, and are 4 person tents.

As a way to further your search, suggest starting here:

http://www.campmor.com/gear/tents.shtml

Campmor specializes in discount gear. I like REI's comparison features better, but if you get a Campmor paper catalog your search will be made much easier...

There is a "slightly soiled" Timberline 4 on the Campmor site now for $140 - I recently spent my tent money, or I'd snag it out from under you.
I won't get into the economics behind the movement of manufacturing overseas; suggest you read "Naked Economics" to get into that topic. No, it is not salacious, despite the title.
Steadman

Edited by Steadman (08/09/10 01:36 PM)

#137446 - 08/09/10 02:25 PM Re: Looking for a tent. [Re: Steadman]
Glenn Offline

I'd agree with the Eureka recommendations. They make good, solid tents (I used a Timberline 2 for much of the 80's and early 90's with no problems); their low price is probably due to the fact that there's been essentially no change in the design or materials in this tent in the last 20 years. (Did they maybe replace the large-diameter aluminum poles with the smaller, lighter Easton-style poles? I haven't looked at one lately.) They aren't light, by today's standards, but they are well-made.

I'm not going to try to get further into the manufacturing movement either; my only reason for mentioning it was to keep things in perspective, and show that it's not a simplistic issue. (In fact, my history degree leads me to somewhat view this progression as the next step in the westward movement of manufacturing: manufacturing moved from Europe to the US in the early 1900s because - big surprise - it was cheaper to make here and import back; US wages were very low then. Lo and behold, US wages grew and, now, manufacturing is moving to Asia because - wait for it - it's cheaper to make there and import here. The next step, already beginning, is for wages to rise and labor movements to begin in China. Interesting to watch. And, even with the mass movement, I heard the other day that the US is still the largest manufacturer in the world.)

I don't intend to take the position of blindly supporting big companies and claiming that their motives are pure; just sort of playing devil's advocate, I guess.

#137447 - 08/09/10 02:34 PM Re: Looking for a tent. [Re: Glenn]
fritz1255 Offline

Yep, with wages rising in China, the next frontier is Vietnam. I work for a large, multi-national company that is doing just what I described - manufacturing in China and pocketing the (higher) profits. The thrust of what I said is that you should look for manufacturers who compete on price rather than brand name, and you will get the best value.

#137448 - 08/09/10 02:37 PM Re: Looking for a tent. [Re: fritz1255]
Glenn Offline

I completely agree, with the caveat that you have to factor quality into the equation (and brand name is not always an automatic guarantee of quality.)

#137452 - 08/09/10 04:34 PM Re: Looking for a tent. [Re: Glenn]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
My Rotary Club is trying to sponsor water pojects in Zimbabwe and Senegal. Chinese sweat shops would be an economic boom for them.

#137456 - 08/09/10 04:46 PM Re: Looking for a tent. [Re: Louisiana-Camper]
orclwzrd Offline

Loc: Illinois(I just live here)
If you aren't looking for a "lightweight" tent then Alps Mountaineering has pretty decent stuff. Their Extreme 3 is pretty decent. Though it pushes past your $200 limit a bit. Got them for scouts to use and they seem to be pretty decent.

John

#137461 - 08/09/10 06:49 PM Re: Looking for a tent. [Re: Glenn]
Louisiana-Camper Offline

Thanks for all the suggestions. I decided to spend a little more if that means I can get a better one. But Ive been looking at the marmot limelight 3. It looks like a good one an has good reviews. Has anyone experienced having one of these?

#137473 - 08/09/10 10:09 PM Re: Looking for a tent. [Re: Louisiana-Camper]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
You'll have to think about what "better" means for you.

#137476 - 08/09/10 10:12 PM Re: Looking for a tent. [Re: Steadman]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By Steadman
You'll have to think about what "better" means for you.

Exactly.

I own and am happy with tents from Tarptent, Six Moon Designs, and Black Diamond. (I don't use them for the same stuff smile
Browse my pictures

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
1 registered (), 202 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum