Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#137312 - 08/06/10 04:46 PM MSR MiniWorks EX Water Filter or Katadyn HikerPro?
humblefan Offline

I see the MSR is heavier and a little more but seems like will filter virtually forever without a new filter.

Is there a lighter better made filter than a MSR Mini or am I on the right track here?

#137324 - 08/06/10 08:49 PM Re: MSR MiniWorks EX Water Filter or Katadyn HikerPro? [Re: humblefan]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
You can't beat the Miniworks. I've never had the first problem with mine, ever. Nothing breaks, nothing falls off, it just filters and filters. It's very easy to clean in the field, and fairly easy to pump.

Having said that, I'm experimenting this year with the Hyperflow. It's very easy to pump, but I haven't built up a confidence level with it yet. I haven't had to backflush in the field yet; I've always done it in the kitchen, after I got home from a weekend trip. I'm worried enough about losing parts that I'm carrying a repair kit. I've also read a report that the filter element will spontaneously disintegrate on one end; my friend also had it happen to him. So, I'm also carrying a spare filter element for now. All that may change as I gain confidence in the filter. However, at the first sign of problem, I'm going back to the Miniworks.

You might also look at the Katadyn Vario. I've seen it used, and it seems quick and reasonably sturdy.

#137363 - 08/07/10 09:27 PM Re: MSR MiniWorks EX Water Filter or Katadyn HikerPro? [Re: Glenn]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
Have a hiker pro and like it. Pump works well; design is such that there isn't a pivot point to break (which is what sold me on the design over a sweetwater, now MSR, guardian.

#137371 - 08/08/10 06:31 AM Re: MSR MiniWorks EX Water Filter or Katadyn HikerPro? [Re: Steadman]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I used to use the Pur Hiker (essentially the same filter as the Hiker Pro, before Katadyn bought Pur.) This was back in the 90's, before the Miniworks was available; our Scout troop had several.

We had two problems with them: first, they clogged quickly enough that we always carried a spare element. Second, and more important, the handles invariably broke. (The store we bought them from replaced them all at least once, a couple of them twice.) You're right, there's no pivot point - but they broke at the right angle where the part you put your hand on meets the straight shaft. Just snapped right off. And it wasn't because 12 year olds were using them - I had one snap in my hands on its first use.

Having said that, I'd hasten to add that Katadyn filters are very good, and I've never known anyone to have problems with them. Although I've not used the Hiker Pro, I'd be willing to bet that Katadyn fixed the problem with the handle a long time ago.

#137378 - 08/08/10 01:46 PM Re: MSR MiniWorks EX Water Filter or Katadyn Hiker [Re: Glenn]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I have a Katadyn Hiker, which I don't think is much different in design that the "Pro". The nipple where the intake hose connects to the pump broke on one trip when I tried to remove the hose to pack the unit. It should not have broke and I considered it to be a very weak link in the design.

Katadyn mailed me a new body for the unit at no charge and it arrived quickly. It has not broke since. I could not see any change in the design, but they may have changed the plastic used to something more durable.

For the money I spent, and Katadyn's painless support for their product, I can recommend their stuff.

I have no experience with the MSR.

"You want to go where?"

#137400 - 08/08/10 09:26 PM Re: MSR MiniWorks EX Water Filter or Katadyn Hiker [Re: billstephenson]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I used a PUR scout for many years with no problems until they were bought out filter element discontinued. Then I "switched" to the Katadyn Hiker and have had no problems. I still use the Hiker for groups but am currently trying the Sawyer filter in a bottle for solo and really like the lighter weight and convenience, just dip the bottle in the stream, put the cap and filter back on and drink.

#137502 - 08/10/10 05:37 PM Re: MSR MiniWorks EX Water Filter or Katadyn Hiker [Re: thecook]
kbennett Offline

Loc: north carolina
I own both the Miniworks and the Pur Hiker. Hands down, I prefer the Hiker. It is much faster to pump, and unlike the MW it doesn't get clogged all the time. (Yes, I know that one major feature of the MW is that one can easily clean the ceramic element. Great. It's less great when one has to do this one or more times a day. Yes, I used a pre-filter.)

I've not had any issues with the Hiker slowing down or jamming on hikes. It does start to slow down as the cartridge gets to the end of its life -- then it's time to buy a new cartridge. No big deal for us.

#137587 - 08/13/10 12:22 PM Re: MSR MiniWorks EX Water Filter or Katadyn HikerPro? [Re: humblefan]
tjn Offline

My vote for the Katadyn... its seems near indestructible and has been very reliable after many trips.

#137867 - 08/21/10 12:15 AM Re: MSR MiniWorks EX Water Filter or Katadyn HikerPro? [Re: humblefan]
Paul Offline

Loc: California
Here's a monkey wrench in the works: I much prefer the Katadyn Basecamp gravity filter. uses the same cartridge as the hiker pro, which I had found very reliable and easy to maintain (until I cracked the case on my hiker), weighs the same (despite the specs I have seen online) and no pumping. I love it, I'll never go back to a pump filter.
Oh, and it costs less to boot.

#137881 - 08/21/10 12:54 PM Re: MSR MiniWorks EX Water Filter or Katadyn HikerPro? [Re: Paul]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Another gravity filter fan here! I'll never, ever go back to a pump! I just made my own using the same pattern as the now defunct ULA Amigo Pro filter--Katadyn Hiker Pro filter cartridge, a Sea-to-Summit Ultra-Sil dry bag, 5/8" tubing and plastic connectors from US Plastics. It really doesn't look much different than photos of the Katadyn Base Camp.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum