Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#136802 - 07/27/10 09:44 AM No 2 my AT sectional Thru hike - need new ideas
MarkNM Offline

Loc: Pompton Lakes, NJ
so as you may or may not know, i was planning to start the AT GA to Maine is as big of sections as i could finish with my alotted vacation time...after a lot of planning and debate, i'm going to change my tactic

it will take me more than 10 years to finish the entire trail this way...and to be honest from what i've read alot of it is normal everyday trail.

so i was thinking why not use my vacation this year and next...maybe a third if need be...and really just hit up the highlights....

trail start, clingmans dome, that lookout point in VA

what do you guys think? will i regret not taking the 5 million steps?

I feel i'll still be able to appreciate the trail as i'll be taking in the highlest from the entire thing not just a section...
i can visit every major lookout, summit and waterfall...

i also think i'll enjoy having base camps and my vehicle for most of the gear, and then venture off with my daypack when i choose to summit clingmans and etc

also the main reason for doing it this way is it will enable me to visit the other jaw dropping places nature has to offter such as yellowstone, and arcs, and zion, and rafting in the GC....

let me know what you think thanks!

#136806 - 07/27/10 11:29 AM Re: No 2 my AT sectional Thru hike - need new ideas [Re: MarkNM]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
Visit the places you want to experience, and don't worry about artificial "milestones" like hiking the entirety of anything. Life is too short.

#136896 - 07/28/10 10:17 PM Re: No 2 my AT sectional Thru hike - need new ideas [Re: oldranger]
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey
Agreed. I like your idea Mark.

#136915 - 07/29/10 11:01 AM Re: No 2 my AT sectional Thru hike - need new ideas [Re: GDeadphans]
MarkNM Offline

so far i'm planning on driving to springer...and dayhiking the approch trail to visit the southern terminus...then i was going to drive up and tag blood mountain - just because
anything else in GA?

as far as i can tell the next major section is really the smokies nat park - i'm planning a 4-5 backcountry camp with several different day hikes to take in the waterfalls, few peaks and gaps that are the major draws -

is there anything i'm forgetting before i head up the blue ridge area and shenadoah with my remaining week?

#136924 - 07/29/10 01:00 PM Re: No 2 my AT sectional Thru hike - need new ideas [Re: MarkNM]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
To me (definitely not a long-distance hiker!) this sounds like a great idea! If I were going to "do" the Pacific Crest Trail, I'd just pick the highlights. So far, the parts of the PCT I've hiked have been parts of loops, and that will continue.

#136926 - 07/29/10 02:50 PM Re: No 2 my AT sectional Thru hike - need new ideas [Re: MarkNM]
Bearpaw Offline

Loc: Tennessee
If you want to hit highlights, I can give you some of the best highlights just off the top of my head.

Hike Springer to Neels Gap (38 miles if you are adding the approach trail). It gives you a good feel for the start of any thru-hike (including Blood Mountain) and will take 3-4 days.

Head up to Fontana Dam and hike through the Smokies AND continue on to Hot Springs, NC. You're really missing out if you don't hike Max Patch. It is an iconic walk along the southern AT. Going to Hot Springs will add about 37 miles to the Smokies section. Resupply at Standing Bear Hostel 3 miles north of Davenports Gap.

Then head up to Mountain Harbor B & B in Roan Mountain, TN. Park there (not safe to park at the trailhead) and have them shuttle you to the top of Roan High Knob (second highest point in the AT after Clingman’s Dome) and hike the 17 miles back to 19E and Mountain Harbor. I personally believe this section to be the prettiest in the south with two tracts of multi-mile 360 views from massive balds. Half-way there, you can overnight at Overmountain Shelter, a converted red barn with an incredible view down to to valley below.

Dayhike from Dennis Cove past Laurel Falls and take the Blue Blaze up to Hampton, TN, total of about 3.7 miles.

Head to Damascus and hike north to Mt. Rogers National Recreation Area HQ. This will take you through more balds, with lots of scrubby brush and wild pony herds. Gorgeous. You may want to hike south from MR NRA HQ back to Damascus. I HIGHLY recommend walking the Creeper Trail into (or out of) Damascus. It is about 10 miles versus 12+, level, follows a nice creek and crosses several old railroad trestle bridges. Much more scenic than the ridiculous ups and downs of the AT north of Damascus to where it rejoins the AT.

Dayhike out to Macafee Knob. The view is good, but the rock shelf from which one sees the view is among the most photographed areas on the entire AT.

Hike the 100+ mile length of Shenandoah National Park. Liberally follow Skyline Drive instead of the official AT route. Skyline Drive has most of the good views while the AT is a footpath that avoids the crowds while sacrificing many views. Your pack will be light. You can resupply at camp stores and restaurants/waysides every 15-20 miles. Consider resupplying in Front Royal, then continuing on to the ATC HQ in Harper’s Ferry, WV. It’s a neat experience.

I highly recommend hiking most of New Jersey. I know you’re thinking “What?!”, but if offers MANY scenic views from ridges, the beauty of Sunfish Pond, miles of boardwalk near a section of wetlands, and only 2-3 miles of road walk. I recommend starting in Delaware Water Gap, PA and heading the 65 miles to Vernon, NJ. NJ was my favorite section of the middle states of Maryland through NY.

From there, head to Cheshire, MA and hike over Mt Greylock, then cross into Vermont. Pick and choose your favorite spots. I highly recommend hiking Stratton Mountain at the minimum. I also would recommend a swim at Clarendon Gorge.

For New Hampshire, hike from Franconia Knotch near Woodstock to Pinkham Notch. This takes you over Franconia ridge and Mt Washington, some of the finest views along the entire trail if you get good weather.

From there, head up to Maine. If you can find a way to access and dayhike Mahoosuc Notch, do so, but I wouldn’t recommend backpacking the Mahoosuc Range. It was, by far, the most brutal section of the AT, making the Whites seem relatively tame. Head to Rangeley, ME and head north from there. The Bigelow Range, beginning near Rangeley is moderate in climbing with perhaps the prettiest views of forest and lakes along the entire AT. I would highly recommend continuing all the way to Katahdin, about 225 miles for the Maine section.

Be sure to blue blaze the Gulf Hagas area in the 100-Mile Wilderness. White House Landing, about 65 miles into the Wilderness, allows a resupply point that will lighten your pack as you climb the early mountains in the 100-mile.

“Blue-blaze” (take non-official white-blazed trail) liberally. You’re not hiking to complete the entire trail, so don’t sweat the “official” AT. Many of the blue-blazes used to be the AT. Most offer better views or features than the official AT which was rerouted in order to place it all on public land. Have a great hike. It yours to enjoy!

#136930 - 07/29/10 03:38 PM Re: No 2 my AT sectional Thru hike - need new ideas [Re: Bearpaw]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Thanks, Bearpaw! I'm saving this one in case I decide to go hiking back east. I have family in Ohio that may be interested!

#136938 - 07/29/10 04:09 PM Re: No 2 my AT sectional Thru hike - need new ideas [Re: OregonMouse]
MarkNM Offline

Yea man thanks i appreciate it! I'll have to figure out the parking and shuttling but this is great. I'll def check out the ponies.

#136956 - 07/29/10 06:50 PM Re: No 2 my AT sectional Thru hike - need new ideas [Re: MarkNM]
Bearpaw Offline

You folks are welcome. The northern stuff is simply the highlights that stand out from my thru-hike eleven years ago. The stuff from GA to southern VA I've hiked multiple times and can give some dope on the better alternative routes in the area versus the official AT.

#136957 - 07/29/10 06:54 PM Re: No 2 my AT sectional Thru hike - need new ideas [Re: MarkNM]
Bearpaw Offline

Originally Posted By MarkNM
Yea man thanks i appreciate it! I'll have to figure out the parking and shuttling but this is great. I'll def check out the ponies.

The ALDHA Companion Online offers excellent word about shuttles in various areas. There are four hard copy guides, the AT Guide, the Thru-hiker's Handbook, the ALDHA Companion, and the Appalachian Pages. I've been very impressed with the new AT Guide for use on trail, complete with mileage for key points and good, consistent elevation profiles.

#136963 - 07/29/10 08:48 PM Re: No 2 my AT sectional Thru hike - need new ideas [Re: Bearpaw]
MarkNM Offline

oh btw bearpaw i forgot to mention...where i live is about 20-30 min to either vernon or the gap...i frequent the area and the river as well

in fact saturday i'll be romping around the gap to beat my legs in a bit...perhaps i'll do a quick overnighter to vernon and get a ride home from my friend smile

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
1 registered (), 202 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum