Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#136880 - 07/28/10 11:45 AM Re: had a meltdown not happy - limits stink [Re: Glenn]
Canyonero Offline

Loc: Four Corners, Colorado, USA
This is just what I'm doing these days. I've spent as much time scouting areas during day hikes lately as I have on the pack trips. I've found one really nice loop I'll go back to, stretch out for an extra night and check out more side trips. I've found another segment I want to explore further, maybe do an extended trip out a ways, and then back the same way. Just yesterday, I went up to an area that was nice, but not what I thought it would be for a multiday/night trip, so I feel like I saved myself from what would have been a bit of a disappointing overnighter.

Of course part of this approach depends on your proximity to nice areas, and the time you have available. If you have to travel a long ways, and can only do an occasional trip, maybe you have to jump right in and hit it hard.

#136882 - 07/28/10 12:01 PM Re: had a meltdown not happy - limits stink [Re: Canyonero]
MarkNM Offline

Loc: Pompton Lakes, NJ
thanks everyone for their advice and sharing the experience they def helped me stay committed to the outdoor life, and not selling my new tarptent haha - its awesome BTW

Jim- I like to think I do a bit of everything, but after thinking about your post...i've been on the water too much lately...ie no leg work at all...i prob need to do a bit more of vertical climbs prior to taken on such a peak...
I did think about the altitude as a potential, but the camps were all below 3k, and i've never really had a problem before. Including getting off a plane and doing all sorts of hiking in park city, Utah's olympic park...could be tho...i'm not ruling anything out

DTape - yea the newbie who wanted to go the route basically talked me into it...i was down for a 20 hour day hike and should have stuck to my guns...

I've actually been reinvigorated by all of this...determined to still hit the peaks and see what i want to see - as a result i've drastically replanned my AT section into a quick visit to the trailhead and blood mountain, then a nice lil stay in the smokies, followed by a week in shendadoh.

#136890 - 07/28/10 06:39 PM Re: had a meltdown not happy - limits stink [Re: MarkNM]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
It may have been mentioned already, but I think you just ran out of energy. Eat as much as you can in the morning. Take along some electrolyte replacements of some kind-gels or powder, plus high calorie foods and eat all day long. I'm guilty of not doing this sometimes and it makes a big difference. Eat a big meal at night and keep an energy bar nearby. If you get cold, eat half of it, you'd be amazed at what a difference that makes. Nuts and other sources of fat also help a lot.

Not everyone can carry 30-40 lbs. I can't anymore, that's for sure. I winter camp, so I was pulling a sled on skis and not all that far. I am usually at around 7K and live a sea level, so that makes a big difference as well.

You don't have to put in long miles day after day to have a good time. Different planning will make a big difference. I've done some short trips in Yosemite that are just as much fun as going really far.

Edited by TomD (07/28/10 06:41 PM)

#136961 - 07/29/10 07:54 PM Re: had a meltdown not happy - limits stink [Re: TomD]
kbennett Offline

Loc: north carolina
Hey, Mark,

Sorry about the trip. I know you were carrying a lot of water (yikes!), but have you considered that you might have been dehydrated? What was the weather like? The worst bonk I ever did on a trail was climbing up to a waterfall in the Smokies. It was freaking hot and humid, the trail was very steep, and I had had very little to drink the day before and that morning. Oh, and we live at 900 feet and the traihead was a few thousand feet higher. That was a miserable, miserable day. Felt just like you described most of the hike. I have since learned to camel up on water at the beginning of the day, and keep it up in very hot weather. (Also, I have read that the better shape you are in, the more water you need. Not sure if it's true, but there it is.)

As for total pack weight, well, yeah -- 30 pounds is a big chunk of your body weight. My first couple of trips I was carrying 1/3 of my weight (which is 70 pounds BTW) and it was not in any way fun. But if you took away your water weight, you'd have been at 18 pounds. Add two liters, and a total pack weight of 22 pounds looks a lot better. (Did you end up needing all that water??)

Good luck figuring this stuff out. I expect you'll be fine on the A.T., and in your future hikes. My personal feeling is that this was a "perfect storm" of elevation, exhaustion, heat, and dehydration.

--Ken

#137002 - 07/30/10 03:41 PM Re: had a meltdown not happy - limits stink [Re: kbennett]
JohnAr Offline

I agree with most above. You could have cut 1-2L of water and packed much lighter food (chicken breasts??).

I'm 5'8 and about 150lbs. Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think you're *way* under weight. I've been your weight, and naturally could just motor thru most any cardio (running, soccer etc). But the strength isn't there, and hiking with weight is totally different than running. I started bulking protein (eggs and egg whites, chicken, whey etc) and lifting heavy, and am much stronger now.

#137099 - 08/02/10 05:15 PM Re: had a meltdown not happy - limits stink [Re: JohnAr]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
What about a sugar crash? I know that if I am short of sleep both caffein and sugar can make me crash. Maybe think about more whole grains and less sugary foods to give you a slow release of energy. Also, you may be able to help with the pack balance by trying different ways of loading. For my smaller pack, the weight needs to be mid and close to my back, but my larger pack carries better if the weight is higher.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum