Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#135947 - 07/07/10 07:11 PM Is this water purifying straw any good?
master4g Offline

I bought this water purifying straw at a garage sale for 50 cents. It is new in the package but it does seem to be quite old. The woman selling it said that they don't expire and this should still be fine. I couldn't find any info on this exact item online

What do you guys think? I plan on using it on my trip up to Half Dome.

-can the water going through this be trusted?
-do these things expire?

thank you

#135962 - 07/08/10 12:26 AM Re: Is this water purifying straw any good? [Re: master4g]
lori Offline

Uh, no.

http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/1996/April96/181.enr.htm

Take a reliable filter of .02-.03 microns, or chemicals. One of the proven sources of giardia (a common bacteria) has been the Merced River, which you will be hiking along on the way to Half Dome.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#135982 - 07/08/10 08:22 PM Re: Is this water purifying straw any good? [Re: lori]
master4g Offline

Whoa, thats good to know. Thank for that link

Also, the item I have in hand is different than the ones in the article. Probably still the same item repackaged... what do you think?

#135984 - 07/08/10 09:01 PM Re: Is this water purifying straw any good? [Re: master4g]
lori Offline

I think that any such item bought at a yard sale that's clearly elderly is not worth trusting your health to it. smile

Get yourself a real filter and do away with the question altogether. Some things you really don't want to cheap out on. Your health is more important than figuring out the hard way if it works.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#136002 - 07/09/10 02:19 PM Re: Is this water purifying straw any good? [Re: lori]
master4g Offline

Thank.

Actually, I also bought a "First Needs Water Purification device" from a garage sale for a dollar. This device seems to have good reviews but the only reason I also bought the straws was because it was smaller/lighter. I didn't get a chance to ask the seller of the First Needs how much he has used the device but I think the filter does up to 150 gallons which is quite a lot for one person to do and its in good condition so I don't think he used it much. I tested pumping green tea (brown) through it and it came out as clear tasteless water. I was quite impressed.

Edited by master4g (07/09/10 02:19 PM)

#136236 - 07/13/10 10:32 PM Re: Is this water purifying straw any good? [Re: master4g]
Mike1239 Offline

I saw one of these in a magazine recently, think it might have been national geographic adventure, so even if this one doesn't work you might check around for one that does. The one I saw was 39.95. Would be handy.

#136255 - 07/14/10 10:33 AM Re: Is this water purifying straw any good? [Re: master4g]
Cstolworthy Offline

Loc: American Fork, Utah
Found this article:
http://yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpress.nsf...74!OpenDocument

Here is an excerpt:
In addition, EPA is concerned that the claims and advertisements for these filters may imply that they can effectively purify raw water, when in fact they cannot. EPA officials recommend that consumers cease using the two filters, which are sold throughout the United States and internationally, and dispose of them immediately because they may pose a risk to public health.
The drinking water filters consist of a straw (AccuFilter Straw, EPA Reg. No. 64906-1) and a bottle (AccuFilter Bottle, EPA Reg. No. 64906-2). Each device is equipped with a silver-impregnated activated carbon filter designed to filter out sources of odor and taste from drinking water (EPA's registration approved the filters for use on potable water only). The registrant is AccuFilter International Inc., 9915 Southwest Arctic Drive, Beaverton, Ore. 97005.

The principal owner of AccuFilter International Inc., Bruce D. Spangrud, was indicted on Sept. 28, l994, by a Federal Grand Jury on two felony charges that he submitted false statements to obtain an EPA pesticide registration that allows him to sell the drinking water filtration devices. A criminal trial is scheduled in the Federal District Court in Portland on Dec. 20.

So in short, no, get rid of it.

Edited by Cstolworthy (07/14/10 10:33 AM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum