Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#131000 - 03/20/10 05:04 PM Enchanted Rock State Natural Area, TX
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods

Last weekend we took our Scout troop to Enchanted Rock State Natural Area just north of Fredericksburg, TX. It is a long way from East Texas over to Central Texas. In fact, we left at 5:30pm and didn't get to our destination (Canyon Lake Corps of Engineers campground) until 11:30pm. Unfortunately, the park closed at 10:00 and we didn't want to wake the host to let us in. So, we found some sheltered areas outside the gate, spread out our tarps and grabbed a few hours of sleep. We got up very early, broke camp and set out for Fredericksburg where we could grab some breakfast at McDonald's and head on over to the park.

We arrived at the park around 9:00am and there was already a line (opening weekend of spring break). We left a couple of the leaders at the check-in station to pay and register while we parked the bus and got ready to hike "the Rock". The weather was beautiful with temps in the mid 70's and sunshine. We left the parking lot around 9:15 and started the climb to the top of the rock. It's about a 20-30 minute hike to the top and the views are great. It's hard to take in exactly how big this dome of granite really is. There were several boulders on the rock that are bigger than a house. Just how did they get there? Once we got to the top, the Scouts went off to do some exploring of various caves and chutes in the rocks.

There were other groups of rock climbers there so it was interesting to watch them climb the various formations and do some rapelling.

Makes me wish I had a few days there with JimShaw to teach me some rock climbing.

Here's a link to the state park website:
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/enchanted_rock/

and here is the link to the rock climbing area:
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/park_maps/pwd_mp_p4507_119d.pdf

We left the summit around 1:30pm and made our way around the back side of the rock to the parking lot (30 minute hike). Along the way, we saw more interesting rock formations, took some great pictures along the streams and did a little bushwacking. Once we arrived at the parking lot, we found an empty table and set up for a relaxed lunch. We finished lunch and left the park around 2:00pm. There were cars lined up outside the park for 1/2 mile both directions waiting to get in.

The park has areas for remote camping and I think you could spend a long weekend hiking some of the other trails and exploring areas of the Rock. In fact, I would love to be able to spend the night on the Rock and watch the stars and see the sunrise.

On Sunday, we spent a few hours at the Museum of the Pacific War (aka Admiral Nimitz Museum) in Fredericksburg. They were having re-enactments that weekend but we did not get to see them. Fredericksburg is a great town to spend a weekend.

Here are links to pics of the park and some of the museum.
http://tango61.shutterfly.com/248

Enjoy,
Tango61

#131008 - 03/20/10 09:26 PM Re: Enchanted Rock State Natural Area, TX [Re: Tango61]
scottyb Offline

Loc: Texas Hill Country
It's a great place, kind of a miniture Ayres Rock. Too bad about the crowds. There are a lot less people when it's not a holiday or spring break. I live about 55 minutes away.

#131016 - 03/21/10 05:05 AM Re: Enchanted Rock State Natural Area, TX [Re: Tango61]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
That place is packed on Spring Break. Constant line of people walking up and down the big rock. The other domes aren't so bad.

#131017 - 03/21/10 05:35 AM Re: Enchanted Rock State Natural Area, TX [Re: Tango61]
skippy Offline

Loc: CO
E-Rock is a fun place to go and pretty unique. I've done two rock climbing trips down there several years ago and had a great time. Lots of rattlesnakes as I saw two in one day the last time I was there. One was way too close, both the snake and I were scared stiff for a second or two.

#131073 - 03/22/10 10:48 AM Re: Enchanted Rock State Natural Area, TX [Re: Tango61]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
So, did you go in the cave on the back side? I think it is on the east side. You enter from the top of the rock, and it goes down. That is the best part. laugh Anyways, according to my wife, I have spent way too much time there (especially when I went with her brother for 3 days when she had an ultrasound of our 2nd kid). We tried backpacking and climbing for 4 days, but ran out of park. When I was in high school, we would take dates there for the day and explore all the caves. It is a great place.

#131094 - 03/22/10 08:35 PM Re: Enchanted Rock State Natural Area, TX [Re: finallyME]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods

finallyME,

I didn't go down into the "caves" but the boys did. I was told that one ends up coming out the side.

I think I could easily spend 4 days there exploring all the various areas. If I had some rock climbing skills, I could spend a lot of time there.

The museum in Fredericksburg was really cool too. Your ticket allows you to tour the museum for two consecutive days.

#131109 - 03/22/10 11:40 PM Re: Enchanted Rock State Natural Area, TX [Re: Tango61]
ndsol Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas
Our camp one night with Enchanted Rock in the background:

On Turkey Peak with Enchanted Rock in the background:

And on top of Enchanted Rock:

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 62 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum