Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#129910 - 03/02/10 07:03 PM solo BPing the reality
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
phat doesn't think we should discuss the reality of solo backpacking in the Beginners group and I agree. So, how many of you who consider yourselves experienced solo backpackers follow safety guidelines, carry the ten essentials, stay off rock, tell people where you are going, carry PLBs, first aid or any of the stuff that we tell beginners to do? Do you feel that your experience makes up for what you leave behind, or do you simply not carry it/do it because you carried/did it for a long time and found that it was never required/used?

I don't have any matches, compass, fire accelerators, PLB cell phone or other electronic devices besides my GPS. No one knows where I go or what I do and I do very dangerous things while I'm there. My first aid kit consists of band aids and Tylenol with a couple vicodins and ear plugs. I also have 40 years of experience doing what I do. I solo 5.9 rock for example, while alone three days hike off trail. I don't feel unsafe doing this or sleeping in mountain lion country. I also happen to have a very healthy respect for avalanche, crevasse, stream crossing etc.

If I may be so bold, when I was a boy scout, sorry phat, we had tender feet, second class scouts and first class scouts. In the wild west "scouts meant" something different, it meant people with the experience and expertise to lead inexperienced people through wild country where common folk did not know the pitfalls, couldn't shoot rattlesnakes between the eyes from a horse or speak sign language to Indians. I submit that you need a lot of experience before you graduate to the level of "scout" and if yer not one, you shouldn't be off trail in wilderness alone.

Since this is being edited for spelling I will add this: There is a whole lot to learn before you are safe off trail alone. I personally do not feel comfortable on glaciers or around grizzlies and because I do not have that experience, I would avoid those situations while backpacking solo. Some places are just a walk in the park, others require actual skill.
Jim

Edited by Jimshaw (03/02/10 10:44 PM)

#129911 - 03/02/10 07:22 PM Re: solo BPing the reality [Re: Jimshaw]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By Jimshaw
phat doesn't think we should discuss the reality of solo backpacking in the Beginners group and I agree. So, how many of you who consider yourselves experienced solo backpackers follow safety guidelines, carry the ten essentials, stay off rock, tell people where you are going, carry PLBs, first aid or any of the stuff that we tell beginners to do? Do you feel that your experience makes up for what you leave behind, or do you simply not carry it/do it because you carried/did it for a long time and found that it was never required/used?

I don't take anything different soloing than I do with others.
In a nutshell, I don't buy into the "ten essentials" nonsense because everyone makes up a different list of ten. What I carry is in my signature on this message. I don't find my "experience makes up for what I leave behind" any more than any other trip I take. I carry *appropriate* first aid stuff (not "I wanna be a paramedic in a second life" stuff) - which means it's not much more than yours.. I normally carry a PLB - cheap insurance. I typically do not carry a GPS. I typically carry a compass and map (but sometimes not) I do tell someone where I'm heading, even if there is more than one possibility.

Quote:

I don't have any matches, compass, fire accelerators, PLB cell phone or other electronic devices besides my GPS. No one knows where I go or what I do and I do very dangerous things while I'm there. My first aid kit consists of band aids and Tylenol with a couple vicodins and ear plugs. I also have 40 years of experience doing what I do. I solo 5.9 rock for example, while alone three days hike off trail. I don't feel unsafe doing this or sleeping in mountain lion country. I also happen to have a very healthy respect for avalanche, crevasse, stream crossing etc.

I can probably only claim about 25 years experience. I *don't* climb anything more than scrambles, as I'm not a climber. I have a very healthy respect for avy terrain and crevasses (and stay away from them for the most part). as well as stream crossings - but I will do them solo if I don't judge them to be very risky.

Quote:

I submit that you need a lot of experience before you graduate to the level of "scout" and if yer not one, you shouldn't be off trail in wilderness alone.
Jim

I think it's perfectly acceptable to talk about where newer backpackers can go solo. (see my post in that thread).

Does that mean they should just undertake any solo trip as their first? of course not. Just as I wouldn't try climibing class 5 rock solo three days from nowhere. I don't have the experience to do it. but BACKPACKING is not climbing class 5 rock. a relative newcomer can solo nontechnical marked trails safely without undue risk if they are paying attention and have a brain.
Browse my pictures

#129914 - 03/02/10 07:57 PM Re: solo BPing the reality [Re: Jimshaw]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
If I didn't solo I'd hardly ever go hiking, so solo it usually is.

A big key is being comfortable out there, because stress gets in the way of solid decision-making. Problems arise when being comfortable is based on an inflated sense of one's abilities. It's the sophomore trap.

What was the question again?

Cheers,

#129916 - 03/02/10 08:22 PM Re: solo BPing the reality [Re: Rick_D]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
I'm with Rick D, if I had to depend on someone going with me, I would hardly get out. It used to be only me on every trip, but now I have a bunch of CA bpers who I get together with now and then, even though they are all from cities. Experience wise, out doing this on a limited basis to begin with for the first ten years but more as time goes on. Started bping just to go fishing in the early '70's, so I am just about to Jim's level but not with the Boy Scout training, more like the school of hard knocks. I have no compass, have a limited first aid kit, even less than Jim's, but I know I need a few more items. I've missed the easy to find trail junction and found the hard to find one and gotten way off course and just kept hiking to "correct" the situation after studying the map. After being tired, may not have been the best decision, but to me was better than retracing my steps. Always up or forward. I do envy and respect a number of people here, they have more experience than I do, knowledge, smarts. If I had to have more of everything, I would never get out.

#129918 - 03/02/10 08:39 PM Re: solo BPing the reality [Re: hikerduane]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Actually I used to solo a lot more than I do now. I still like to, but hanging around too many forums means there's often as not people who want to go with me who I don't object to, so I end up with company.
Browse my pictures

#129920 - 03/02/10 09:12 PM Re: solo BPing the reality [Re: phat]
hikerduane Offline

I'm just realizing this last Fall, why I am getting tired of longer,solo trips. My dog. I miss a dog being along with me, to watch them hit the water, lapping it up, with their pack getting wet, watching them shake after leaving, rolling in snow, with or without a pack. The happiness they exude. Good for the heart.

#129921 - 03/02/10 09:14 PM Re: solo BPing the reality [Re: Jimshaw]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Quote:
I submit that you need a lot of experience before you graduate to the level of "scout" and if yer not one, you shouldn't be off trail in wilderness alone.

I don't agree with that entirely.

I think if you've mastered your backpacking skills enough to stay out for a few nights with friends without needing anything but what you've brought your getting close.

If you've also mastered figuring out where you're at, your about ready. At that point, if the desire is there, test the water. Spend a night or two out and see how you do.

Venture out a little further and a little longer each time and soon you'll be ready to go wherever you want to go.

Solo trips don't have to exercises in survival. They can be a walk in the park too.

"You want to go where?"

#129925 - 03/02/10 10:10 PM Re: solo BPing the reality [Re: billstephenson]
Jimshaw Offline

Well as Bill says, some solo trips can be walks in the park, others are not.

phat, I hope that you didn't read in any disrespect in my post. I simply wanted to be able to explore the idea someplace other than the beginners group.

I DO think that you need time to learn not just to be cautious, but to have a sense of the wilderness. There are things that will getcha if you don't know about them and the only way to learn is by experience. For instance how to deal with bears, its one thing to read, its another to have experienced them close at hand, and I'm sure phat has a lot more of that experience, than I do, so I wouldn't count myself as a safe soloer in grizzly country, I simply am not experienced enough. The reason that I keep coming back to climbing is because its the same rock, the same shoes, the same techniques but one is safe on the rock whereas another is in mortal danger and experience is the ONLY difference.

I too wouldn't get out if I only went with other people because I have few friends that want to do what I do.

To reiterate though, its knowledge on a gut level that you simply do not get without a lot of time in the woods that makes you safe on those non-walk in the park solo trips.
Jim

Edited by Jimshaw (03/02/10 10:49 PM)

#129927 - 03/02/10 10:44 PM Re: solo BPing the reality [Re: hikerduane]
dolomiti Offline

Loc: houston, tx
Originally Posted By hikerduane
I'm just realizing this last Fall, why I am getting tired of longer,solo trips. My dog. I miss a dog being along with me, to watch them hit the water, lapping it up, with their pack getting wet, watching them shake after leaving, rolling in snow, with or without a pack. The happiness they exude. Good for the heart.

I like hiking with my dog too, because she doesn't gripe or offer opinions about what we should be doing. For more on my position on solo hiking, see my signature.

Originally Posted By phat
a relative newcomer can solo nontechnical marked trails safely without undue risk if they are paying attention and have a brain.

This is very true.
you can leave right now.

#129948 - 03/03/10 10:28 AM Re: solo BPing the reality [Re: Jimshaw]
Fiddleback Offline

Loc: Northern Rockies
So much is perception...of self and of environment and risk. What you do I probably never will. On the other hand, I backpack solo in grizzly country with caution but little concern.

May we both die of old age... smile

FB

#129952 - 03/03/10 11:01 AM Re: solo BPing the reality [Re: Jimshaw]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Solo backpacking off trail in the winter is one thing, and summer solo backpacking a few miles to a crowded campground is something quite different. IMO solo backpacking under certain conditions is entirely suitable for a beginner.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#129964 - 03/03/10 12:02 PM Re: solo BPing the reality [Re: Trailrunner]
Bobc Offline

Loc: SC
I used to be a solo, packer, I also did some climbing but not alone. . Now I am lucky if I day hike so here is my two cents.
Tell someone where you are and when you will be back, also a drop dead time (you need help) always contact this person ontime. I mean if SI shows up for the swimsuit issue you are still gonna leave to be back in time. First aid kit, is OK but training is better. Learn how to stop bleeding, bandaids won't stop you from bleeding out. I was luck as I was first aid trained by some Nautical gentlemen. Learn how to navigate, again I learned this in the military. Have the means to start a fire anytime, you will die of exposure long before you die of thrist or hunger. Have fun.

#129970 - 03/03/10 01:04 PM Re: solo BPing the reality [Re: Bobc]
hikerduane Offline

I took a First Aid/CPR class years ago at he local community college. A couple young college age kids just joked around in class or seemed to finish assignments early, especially the final. I believe they failed, the final takes longer than that to complete.
One July 4th, I xc over snow to a lake, had to consult my map as their shape was wrong. In my correction, I had to hike a full mile to the correct lake, which was still froze over at a 90 degree turn to the left, then I barely hit it, at least I was familiar with the wilderness. Coming out, some other hikers only had made it in less than a mile and asked if that was such and such lake. I said no, they were only at the meadow, they had another mile to go.

#129979 - 03/03/10 02:16 PM Re: solo BPing the reality [Re: Jimshaw]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I think you kid yourself if you think going solo is not risky. The point is to recognize the risk and be willing to accept it. This takes judgement gained from experience. Beginners do not have this judgement yet. In my opinion walking down a heavily used trail alone is not soloing. On a popular trail like the JMT you are essentially traveling like a large unorganized group spread apart on a well marked path. Being off-trail never seeing anyone for days is quite different. Beginners who want to solo should first get the basics down with others, then venture out on heavily used trails until they become more competent. I think the "sport" of orienteering is really great experience for those who eventually want to solo. As is a really comprehensive Wilderness First Aid course.

The thing about solo hiking is that there is less room for error. When you get to the point where you make few errors, you can solo with a lot more safety. There are pros and cons to solo travel. It is really true that for a lot of us, if we did not solo, we would not be going out much. But then, if we really felt solo trips were unsafe, maybe we would make more effort to find a partner! For me there always is an underlying nagging anxiety with solo travel. Some people may like that, but I do not. Yet I still solo on some pretty difficult off-trail routes. To me the ideal is to have someone who has the same agenda hike with you. I like to explore and get into some downright unpleasent stuff sometimes and do not like someone nagging at me for not being their "guide".

I have been injured once - hit by a rock and was mighty thankful to have others with me. It was on a climb of the Grand Teton and honestly, if I were soloing I would be dead. When you decide to solo you have to realize just how debilitating illness and injury can be. On the other hand, I have sprained an ankle a few times when alone and handled it just fine.

#130009 - 03/03/10 08:19 PM Re: solo BPing the reality [Re: wandering_daisy]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Daisy's post makes a good point. There is really no consensus here on exactly what "Solo Backpacking" actually is.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#130081 - 03/04/10 03:26 PM Re: solo BPing the reality [Re: wandering_daisy]
Jimshaw Offline

Daisy
Thank you, the main point that I wanted to make is about judgement. Without it you can get into deep doodoo quickly. Only experience gives good judgement.
Jim

#130194 - 03/05/10 09:59 AM Re: solo BPing the reality [Re: Jimshaw]
Fiddleback Offline

Loc: Northern Rockies
Amen!

And even before hitting the trail with My Lady, we would both leave location and hiking plans on our respective desks at work as well as with a neighbor. We left similar information and schedule on the dashboard of the car at the trailhead.

Now, we no longer work and My Lady no longer backpacks so I leave written info (often including a map) with her and on the dash...

FF

#130223 - 03/05/10 03:58 PM Re: solo BPing the reality [Re: Rick_D]
dla Offline

Loc: Hillsboro, Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By Rick_D
If I didn't solo I'd hardly ever go hiking, so solo it usually is.

A big key is being comfortable out there, because stress gets in the way of solid decision-making. Problems arise when being comfortable is based on an inflated sense of one's abilities. It's the sophomore trap.

What was the question again?

Cheers,

Yep - I wouldn't get out much if I didn't solo. But I still like company.

We all die as far as I can tell. There's nothing statistically super dangerous about backpacking. Common sense, a sober awareness of the risks and an honest assessment of one's abilities. Beyond that, "be prepared" and just have a good time. Refuse to be paralyzed by what "might happen".

#130373 - 03/09/10 10:48 AM Re: solo BPing the reality [Re: dla]
Keith Offline

Loc: Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Really appreciated the review of SPOT on your web site. thanks

#130399 - 03/09/10 10:02 PM Re: solo BPing the reality [Re: Jimshaw]
ConnallMac Offline

Loc: Eastern Indiana
I never really have a chance here in Eastern Indiana to get out far off the beaten path, but I always leave a detailed plan and usually a map with my wife before I leave on a solo trip. I also usually email or verbally tell my buddies who backpack where I'm heading and the basic info about the hike. Plus I remind my wife that the most dangerous part of the trip will be driving to and from the trail head.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum