Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#127484 - 01/27/10 10:28 PM Backpack choices and hello
jmuir Offline

Loc: SE PA
Hi All-

New to the board and a newbie to hiking/backpacking. I have always enjoyed the great outdoors through kayaking, fishing and camping and am looking to expand into the world of hiking. My experience level of hiking would be none. My plan is to start off with a series of day hikes with a local hiking group and see where that leads me. So far I have been reading through the informational articles on backpacking.net and ordered the recommended books "Backpacking One Step at a Time" and "Mountaineering First Aid".

Just to get started, I would appreciate it if you could recommend to me some specific backpacks to look into for day trips that would not break the bank. Also what size would you suggest? My torso measurement is 19".

Many Thanks
John

#127504 - 01/28/10 11:05 AM Re: Backpack choices and hello [Re: jmuir]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
Originally Posted By jmuir

Just to get started, I would appreciate it if you could recommend to me some specific backpacks to look into for day trips that would not break the bank.

Breaking the bank is a very relative term, do you have a budget in mind? As for specific packs, it really depends on how much gear you take with you. The standard advise is to take everything you intend to bring with you on your trip to an outfitter and find a pack that fits you and your gear.

Originally Posted By jmuir

Also what size would you suggest? My torso measurement is 19".

If you mean size as in measurements, then a 19inch torso is, generally speaking, a medium for most companies-- but this is not guaranteed. I too have a 19" torso and more often than not I am a medium, but due to the fit of some packs on me, I need a large.

If you mean size as in volume, then the response to your first question applies, it depends on how much gear you are taking and for what length of time you intend to be out for.

Side note: You need to clarify if you are only interested in day hikes or if you plan to venture into backpacking. If you only intend to do the former then to be honest you could probably get away with a standard school rucksack and nothing fancy is really needed.

Edited by ChrisFol (01/28/10 11:07 AM)

#127506 - 01/28/10 12:46 PM Re: Backpack choices and hello [Re: ChrisFol]
jmuir Offline

My apologies, I should have been more specific. Teaches me not to post when I can barley stay awake.

I am looking at a budget of around $75. I will be starting off with just day hikes to find out what I am going to need and not need, then progress into overnight trips (one night). I would like to find a backpack that would be able to be used for both. For size, I was inquiring about suggested volume. Since I have not actual been out yet and do not have all the gear, I'm not sure what volume backpacks to look at. I have been looking at backpacks around 30-35 liters. Am I in the correct range?

For gear, I plan to start off by taking the recommended essentials from the beginner articles. Extra clothes, food, flashlight, first-aid kit, knife, matches, firestarters, water, insect repellents, sunscreen, mylar space bag and whatever else I find in my readings.

Thanks
John

#127509 - 01/28/10 02:09 PM Re: Backpack choices and hello [Re: jmuir]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
You're probably best off to start out with a cheap daypack (try thrift stores). There's not much point in spending money on an overnight backpack until you have at least some idea of how much space your gear, food, water and fuel are going to take up. You might consider renting or borrowing an overnight pack at first. You also don't know how much your gear will weigh. That's important--if you're going to carry 50 lbs. (I hope not!), you'll need a pack with a lot more "engineering" than if you're going to carry 25.

If the rest of your gear isn't too heavy or bulky, you might be able to squeeze it into your daypack for your first few overnight trips, which in any case should be short until you gain experience.

With your budget, you're definitely looking at a used pack, although it's always good to watch for sales. In the meantime, do a lot of research, including trying on various types of packs with loads. Pack fit is almost as individual as shoe fit, so there's no way to get around this step.

The articles on the home page of this site have lots of tips on gear selection, including backpack selection. I suggest you start there. Then go to Mark Verber's website which has lots of info on gear. Each section of his gear suggestions (which he updates frequently) has a low cost section. He also has links to lots of low cost ideas in his "Backpacking for Cheap" section.

EDIT LATER: Sorry, I evidently didn't process that you've already read the home page articles--good for you, 10 lashes with wet noodle for me! The Mark Verber site might be the next step. Since you're going out on dayhikes with a group, you'll get to see lots of different gear in action and probably will be able to borrow gear for your first few overnight trips. Do your research; don't be in a hurry. For dayhikes, as several of us have mentioned, any book pack will do.

Edited by OregonMouse (01/28/10 08:26 PM)
Edit Reason: more info for OP

#127510 - 01/28/10 02:19 PM Re: Backpack choices and hello [Re: OregonMouse]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
I second OM's advice-- for your current needs I would look through your local thrift stores for a used backpack. Other options are loaning an old one from friends or call into your local REI and rent one for about 20 bucks a day.

This way you can save your money and put it towards an actual pack when you figure out if this is really for you, and what gear you really need.

#127515 - 01/28/10 04:09 PM Re: Backpack choices and hello [Re: ChrisFol]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
ChrisFol

If you have a school bookbag, you are good to go for dayhiking.

Bring the "ten essentials", plan your water and clothes for your environment, and have fun. Remember a map!!

If you have fun dayhiking and want to invest in that activity, buying a camelbak that suits your desires can be a good investment, particularly if you want to keep moving in rough terrain and drink at the same time. Or you can just spend $20 on a bladder and toss it in your bag, running the tube out a zipper.

Earlier posts RE buying a backpacking backpack apply.

Sincerely

Steadman

#127523 - 01/28/10 05:36 PM Re: Backpack choices and hello [Re: Steadman]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I would basically agree with the advice already posted here. Start out cheap with whatever is available. On my first day hikes, I used an Army surplus gas mask bag. It worked quite well in the beginning.

I definitely recommend renting/burrowing when you are at the point of springing for a good, multiday trip capable, backpack. I did that before my last really big pack purchase, and it worked out extremely well - I believe I even applied the rental fee toward the purchase price.

If you and your pack don't get along, backpacking will not be much fun.

#127642 - 01/30/10 07:33 AM Re: Backpack choices and hello [Re: oldranger]
jmuir Offline

Thanks for everyones suggestions.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 105 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum