Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#121721 - 10/01/09 02:39 AM Outing for new scout backpackers- COLD expected
BpackerDon Offline

Loc: Northern Calif
This coming weekend (Oct 3-4), I will be leading a group of 5 youngish scouts and 3 adults. Two to the adults have backpacking experience. We are planning on going to the Sierra, and spending the night at about 7600 feet.

The question- this is the first backpacking trip for 3 of the 5 scouts, ages are about 11 years old. It is predicted to be from 33 to 24 degrees this Saturday night, maybe snow flurries depending on which weather web site you believe.

I have warned the parents about the predicted cold temperatures, and told them to be sure their sons have warm clothes for wearing at night, and a cap/beanie (fleece) for their head and also gloves and socks for in the sleeping bag.

I want the scouts to enjoy the trip, and not be turned off to backpacking.

Any suggestions on how to be sure the scouts are warm and have a good time on this trip?

Thanks!!

Don

#121726 - 10/01/09 09:36 AM Re: Outing for new scout backpackers- COLD expected [Re: BpackerDon]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
Almost everytime I have been cold on a trip the problem was not enough insulation under me. Sit pads for around camp are important. In the snow stand on pads.

Next problem is not eating and drinking enough.

Next is getting too tired.

Next is hat and gloves.

When everything else is in place then sleeping bag ratings begin to seem more reasonable. eek

#121729 - 10/01/09 10:36 AM Re: Outing for new scout backpackers- COLD expected [Re: BpackerDon]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
Good tips from food!
For beginner 11 year olds, usually a short first trip is nice; like no more than 5 miles. Any longer and they get turned off later.

Hopefully they wear something besides jeans; they attract cold and weight.

And if you can find out what their favorite outdoor game is and adapt it to where you’re going, that would be like frosting on the cake for them.

Good luck!

-Barry

#121732 - 10/01/09 11:21 AM Re: Outing for new scout backpackers- COLD expected [Re: BarryP]
BpackerDon Offline

Well--- the trip will be a little less than 4 miles one way. The scouts and parents have been told NO cotton!!!

Maybe I should bring instant chocolate for just before bed.

They have been told about sleeping pads, but I don't yet know what they have.

Will look into what games they like!

Thanks!

Don

#121737 - 10/01/09 12:09 PM Re: Outing for new scout backpackers- COLD expected [Re: BpackerDon]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By BpackerDon
Well--- the trip will be a little less than 4 miles one way. The scouts and parents have been told NO cotton!!!

Maybe I should bring instant chocolate for just before bed.

Yes. Also remember that you will be colder at night if you haven't eaten recently. As someone who sleeps outside in much colder weather than that, realize that if you feed them at 5 or 6 pm, and they are going to bed at 10 pm, they will be more likely to get cold. Hot chocolate and a sizable snack before bed will help them stay warm at night.

Quote:

They have been told about sleeping pads, but I don't yet know what they have.

You don't need a lot of pad for that sort of weather, but you will need something. They'll definately need something to sit on. My square of blue foam that is my standing/sitting butt pad is my best friend in the snow.

Make sure everyone has a pair of dry warm sleeping socks, and sleeping clothing - and keeps it that way. A toque (fleece hat, etc.) will contribute the most to keeping them warm at night.

Browse my pictures

#121739 - 10/01/09 12:17 PM Re: Outing for new scout backpackers- COLD expected [Re: BpackerDon]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
This advice only comes from what I have experienced as a Scout Master.

You MUST have a shakedown the day before. That would be tonight. eek (Oh wait, tomorrow night). If you do not have a shakedown, I guarantee that more than half the boys will NOT have what you told them to have. They will also all show up in jeans, including adults. You also need time to compensate for what they miss. I have a bunch of closed cell foam mattresses. If one boy shows up without one, I can loan him it. If one shows up with a bad sleeping bag, I can loan him it. I can't do this right before we leave, or after we have left. You must find out everything they are carrying the night before.

Two things are certain with scouts:
1. They don't listen to anything you tell them,
2. They don't read anything you give them.

Their parents, for some reason, don't either. confused

A shakedown will mitigate this problem. I have always been very happy that I held one.

Edited by finallyME (10/01/09 12:18 PM)

#121743 - 10/01/09 01:07 PM Re: Outing for new scout backpackers- COLD expected [Re: finallyME]
BpackerDon Offline

I agree about not reading- often the paper with the message is left behind after the meeting.

Shakedown- yes, we are all meeting Friday after work at the troop shed to go through each scout's pack, to be sure all items are present and as required, and crew gear and food distributed. We will then put the checked out pack in the back of a truck, where it will be locked up until we meet Saturday morning to start the trip. Hopefully this will give time to get things right for the trip.

We ask them to come to the shakedown in their hiking clothes. Some do, some don't. Grumble----

E-mail direct to the parents seems to help a bit with the communication problem with the parents. At least they can't say they did not get the message. Acting on it is another matter.

Thanks for the thoughts

Don

#121747 - 10/01/09 03:01 PM Re: Outing for new scout backpackers- COLD expecte [Re: BpackerDon]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
The only thing I might add is that you could bring some "Hot Hands" along with you. One for each person per night.

They're now included in my essential gear list. When it's cold I toss a "Body Warmer" in my sleeping bag about 1/2 hour before getting in and they help keep me warm all night.

Break them out as a surprise with the hot cocoa when they start grumbling about the cold and the scouts will think your a genius wink

"You want to go where?"

#121752 - 10/01/09 04:37 PM Re: Outing for new scout backpackers- COLD expecte [Re: BpackerDon]
Kieran Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
any old sleeping pad is not enough. realize that many inflatable (non insulated) sleeping pads have an r-value of 1. thermarest ridge rest is light, cheap ($25), and good insulating at an r-value of 2.6

check the cold rating of the bags they bring. many people at home just have a 50 degree bag for friend's sleepovers, and may not realize how little that will do for them at 20 degrees.

it's not enough to say no cotton - they must utilize layers - base layer, big socks, insulating layer, and a shell.

+1 for hot hands and other such chemical warmers - they can be activated and tossed in the sleeping bag with a cold scout to help warm them up.

wool socks only - wool insulates even when wet (in case someone's "waterproof" boot/shoe leaks)

have the scouts go to bed an hour before the adults, and watch for shivering scouts so that you can intervene early. recognize before you go on how to layer their sleep system in case it's not warm enough (e.g. don't lay stuff on top of their bags causing the insulation to become compressed).

I realize in hindsight that because me, my scoutmaster, and parents either ignored, neglected, or were ignorant of these safeguards, I came close to dying at around 12 or 13 years old on a winter camp.

#121754 - 10/01/09 05:21 PM Re: Outing for new scout backpackers- COLD expected [Re: BpackerDon]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Don, sent you a PM. Look for the icon next to My Stuff on the tool bar.

#121757 - 10/01/09 06:42 PM Re: Outing for new scout backpackers- COLD expected [Re: TomD]
BpackerDon Offline

Tom

Thank you, have returned your PM

Don

#121764 - 10/01/09 11:27 PM Re: Outing for new scout backpackers- COLD expected [Re: BpackerDon]
chuck Offline

To produce metabolic heat have the boys eat calorie dense carbs throughout day. Be careful of over exertion which leads to burning glucose and glycogen. Better to take your time and eat several times during day...

....AND WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT LET THE BOYS GO TO BED COLD.

If they go to bed cold they will most likely stay cold, wake up cold and be generally misrable. Before bed get them jumping up and down or some sort of exercise to increase their little heart rates and metabolism to generate internal heat.

Have fun

Bluesdog

#121766 - 10/02/09 01:55 AM Re: Outing for new scout backpackers- COLD expected [Re: chuck]
BpackerDon Offline

All-

We have decided to solve the problem by changing the location to a camp at about 4600 ft elevation, rather that the original plan of 7600 ft elevation. The lows at 4600ft are expected to be about 40 degrees, which will be MUCH easier to work with than the 25-28 degrees expected at 7600ft.

So thank you all for your suggestions, I'm sure they will be useful as the scouts gain experience and can handle cold weather better.

And a BIG thank you to those who suggested that cold and very young scouts is not a good mix

Don

#121767 - 10/02/09 02:28 AM Re: Outing for new scout backpackers- COLD expected [Re: BpackerDon]
TomD Offline

The big challenge for kids and cold weather camping is probably convincing parents to spend the bucks it will take to properly outfit a growing kid. Unfortunately warm clothes for camping aren't cheap. Setting up a system to recycle outerwear among growing kids in a Scout troop would seem to be an idea worth exploring-things like gloves, parkas, even boots could be passed along to younger kids.

Oufitting can be done on the cheap with some judicious shopping and patience. That parka in my avatar? eBay, half retail, like new. A class for parents on how to shop for kids would make a good Scout project.

#121769 - 10/02/09 09:15 AM Re: Outing for new scout backpackers- COLD expecte [Re: TomD]
Kieran Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I think Tom really nailed it here. I don't know that it's not so much that young scouts can't do cold weather. I think it's more of just not understanding and/or appreciating what's involved. A gear recycling system is an awesome idea too. Great motivation for some fundraising.

#121809 - 10/03/09 12:08 PM Re: Outing for new scout backpackers- COLD expecte [Re: Kieran]
skinewmexico Offline

I think Food hit all my high points. I know the problem in our troop with a campout in weather that cold would be gear; it's almost impossible to get the parent's to pony up enough money to buy quality gear that will allow a good experience. Most of them have no trouble dropping $150 on an Air Nike inflatable football helmet though.

Edited by skinewmexico (10/03/09 06:48 PM)

#121817 - 10/03/09 06:20 PM Re: Outing for new scout backpackers- COLD expected [Re: TomD]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By TomD
The big challenge for kids and cold weather camping is probably convincing parents to spend the bucks it will take to properly outfit a growing kid.

This is why I try not to mix backpacking with cold camping with the scouts. We do summer and almost fall backpacking, and then car camping for the winter months.

#121837 - 10/03/09 11:26 PM Re: Outing for new scout backpackers- COLD expected [Re: finallyME]
phat Offline

Winter fine - but 32 to 24 at night? Good lord, I get those temps year round! That is *not* that cold.. Yes, it's cold, but it hardly counts as winter winter..

Edited by phat (10/03/09 11:26 PM)
Browse my pictures

#121879 - 10/04/09 08:47 PM Re: Outing for new scout backpackers- COLD expecte [Re: phat]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
It doesn't generally get much colder than that here in the winter, and I like my winters that way, thank you very much.

And hey, I've seen some recent pics of you here, phat, and you aren't going to have as much insulation this winter as you've been used to, so that cold might get a little closer to the bone now wink

#121880 - 10/04/09 09:36 PM Re: Outing for new scout backpackers- COLD expected [Re: BpackerDon]
BpackerDon Offline

I just thought I would post the results of our weekend hike with the Scouts. This was intended to be a shoulder season first backpacking trip for some new scouts, rather that a full-on cold weather camping expedition. This is why we moved the destination from a 7600 foot elevation lake to a 4600 foot elevation lake, as suggested by some of you.

Anyway- this is what we did:

It turned out to be a very nice trip. Saturday was beautiful, sunny and warm. The hike in was easy, although route finding was a bit of a challenge as the Forest service has not maintained the trail for many years, so there were lots of blow downs over the trail, and alternate trails which are not on the map. It was almost a full moon Saturday night, about 48 degrees when we went to bed. All the scouts were told it would be cold, and to bring warm clothing. When we turned in at about 10 pm, it was becoming rather cloudy.

At 1:45am I awoke to snow/rain/hail on the tent, and it was coming down pretty hard. After the first round of precip, there was about a 1/4 inch of something white on the ground, snow or small hail.

It was mostly gone by morning, and the rain/hail/snow had become occasional showers. It got down to about 33 degrees outside the tent that night. (I took my indoor/outdoor max/min thermometer along) All the scouts did fine, we got up about 6:45, had breakfast, some of the scouts went fishing for a while, and then we broke camp and went home. As we were hiking out, the snow/hail showers continued, but were not a problem.

So- thank you all for your suggestions, the trip came out fine!!

Don

#121890 - 10/04/09 11:21 PM Re: Outing for new scout backpackers- COLD expected [Re: BpackerDon]
TomD Offline

Thanks Don for the trip report. Sounds like you made a wise choice and all had a good experience in spite of the overnight weather. I wonder what it was like up higher. A lot nastier is my guess.

#121895 - 10/04/09 11:52 PM Re: Outing for new scout backpackers- COLD expected [Re: BpackerDon]
phat Offline

Nice! glad it worked out for you and the kids.
Browse my pictures

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 109 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum