Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#120787 - 09/12/09 04:37 PM Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian
swau Offline

Loc: CA, USA
nevermind

Edited by swau (09/12/09 05:10 PM)

#120806 - 09/12/09 10:22 PM Re: Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian [Re: swau]
Roocketman Offline

Too bad. I just got a new one and wanted to chat about the pack.

It looks to me as if the 3800 cu. in. is based on use of the volume in the "convertable lid". That lid is roughly 3" X 6" X 12" or 216 cu. in. or call it 200 cu. in.

I held this up next to a Vapor Trail, listed as 3800 cu. in. and the vapor trail sack envelope was about 3" longer than the sack envelope for the Nimbus Meridian.

So, I'll have to count on either greater squeezing during packing, or trimming some volume out of my pack contents. Perhaps a higher loft sleeping bag as an expensive way to gain some internal cu. in. in a pack.

Or, I can make /buy some external waterproof side pockets for the thing.

#120840 - 09/13/09 09:43 AM Re: Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian [Re: Roocketman]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By Roocketman

It looks to me as if the 3800 cu. in. is based on use of the volume in the "convertable lid". That lid is roughly 3" X 6" X 12" or 216 cu. in. or call it 200 cu. in.

I held this up next to a Vapor Trail, listed as 3800 cu. in. and the vapor trail sack envelope was about 3" longer than the sack envelope for the Nimbus Meridian.

So, I'll have to count on either greater squeezing during packing, or trimming some volume out of my pack contents. Perhaps a higher loft sleeping bag as an expensive way to gain some internal cu. in. in a pack.

Pack manufacturers always list volume that includes all the pockets, so if it has a lid, or stupid side pockets, or whatever, that is usually counted in the volume.

I personally hate it, but pockets on a pack are a pet peeve of mine - I prefer my packs simple and light - pockets just add complexity and weight. everything I need immediate access to is in the top of my pack in my ditty bag, and I certainly don't need a plethora of outside pockets, convertable lids, or whatever...
Browse my pictures

#120842 - 09/13/09 09:55 AM Re: Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian [Re: phat]
Roocketman Offline

Originally Posted By phat
Originally Posted By Roocketman

Pack manufacturers always list volume that includes all the pockets, so if it has a lid, or stupid side pockets, or whatever, that is usually counted in the volume.

I personally hate it, but pockets on a pack are a pet peeve of mine - I prefer my packs simple and light - pockets just add complexity and weight. everything I need immediate access to is in the top of my pack in my ditty bag, and I certainly don't need a plethora of outside pockets, convertable lids, or whatever...

Well, I suppose that you wouldn't be interested in how to convert those inexpensive WalMart 3/$9.95 drybags into easy to use external pockets for most bags. :-)

You could save valuable future time by posting a list of all of your pet peeves.

#120934 - 09/14/09 06:35 PM Re: Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian [Re: Roocketman]
swau Offline

Loc: CA, USA
I actually was going to ask in my original post about the front flap (zipper part) not sewed to the bottom fabric. Then I found out that was normal looking at other pics and reviews from other users.

Being an absolute noob in backpacking, do you guys mind tell me where you stuff your tent and sleeping pad? I'm guessing the tent can go inside at the bottom layer and then the sleeping bag on top of it. The sleeping pad can hang outside latched to the compression straps near the bottom of the pack.

Thanks!

#120939 - 09/14/09 08:53 PM Re: Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian [Re: swau]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By swau

Being an absolute noob in backpacking, do you guys mind tell me where you stuff your tent and sleeping pad? I'm guessing the tent can go inside at the bottom layer and then the sleeping bag on top of it. The sleeping pad can hang outside latched to the compression straps near the bottom of the pack.
Thanks!

There is no hard and fast rule. I usually put my sleeping bag at the bottom of my pack. my clothing and shelter overtop of that. My pad (depending on the pack I am carrying, and the pad(s) I am carrying might be inside the pack, rolled up and carried outside, or (in the case of my usual pack) rolled in a tube with everything stuffed inside it, inside the pack.

Don't overthink it - it's still just walking while carrying stuff wink
Browse my pictures

#120965 - 09/15/09 11:42 AM Re: Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian [Re: swau]
Roocketman Offline

[quote=swau..... do you guys mind tell me where you stuff your tent and sleeping pad? I'm guessing the tent can go inside at the bottom layer and then the sleeping bag on top of it. The sleeping pad can hang outside latched to the compression straps near the bottom of the pack.

Thanks! [/quote]

I do pretty much like what you said. I elected to put the tent at the bottom because there are often overnights when the tent is not used at all. A noon rest or a dinner fix and move on stop doesn't need the sleeping bag to be out, so the sleeping bag is the next large item from the bottom.

These two steps serve to reduce the total dumping of backpack contents except for a Tent And Sleep stop.

I also carry an oversized silnylon bag into which the tent gets loosely placed if it is wet. You could opt for carrying a tight light water resistant stuff sack for the tent, but you can end up with a large hard ball that packs poorly. You could decide on a folding pattern for the tent, and neatly fold the tent and insert it into a custom made water resistant bag which makes an easy to pack consistent shape. Of course, there is the chorus of voices who claim that by repeatedly folding the tent the same way, you are ruining it from constant creasing. Somehow, stuffing it tightly into a sack with tons of wrinkles and creases, many of which get refolded nearly every time, does not cause fabric damage. :-)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 226 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum