Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#120065 - 08/29/09 06:51 PM Asked in Health, didn't get a response...
5arah Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Howdy folks. About 15 years ago I spent five months backpacking all over the four-corners area. Since that time, I've graduated from assorted institutions and managed to get settled into the sedentary lifestyle of corporate life. Needless to say, I've packed on the pounds and have lost all my training in that time.

I'd like to get back into backpacking, as I am now near the AT, and have found other places in the area that I can hike around. My goal is to do the top of the AT in Maine in a couple of years, so was wondering if I could get some feedback from people on some of my plans. I came across the Backcountry Forum, which seems to be populated with some good folks with good ideas.

My first question to the group is:
I started training by just walking, should I be walking in boots to get my feet used to them again?

My second question is:
How long should I train without weight before strapping on a pack again?

Thanks in advance!

#120069 - 08/29/09 08:26 PM Re: Asked in Health, didn't get a response... [Re: 5arah]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
No claim of expertise here, but I would wear whatever you intend to wear while hiking. This way, if the boots need breaking in (which many new ones these days do not, btw, unless they are full leather), you are doing that while training.

I'm old school, I do wear boots, but many people here do not-they wear trail runners of one sort or another which you may want to consider. My boots are Asolo FSN95 or something like that, a lightweight boot compared to traditional ones but they still give me ankle support, which I like. Otherwise, I wear running shoes all the time, except for those rare occasions where a "real shoe" is needed for appearance sake.

Second, I see no reason not to wear a light pack from the get go. Don't go overboard, but wearing your pack will get you used to it as well. You can use bags of rice, gym weights, sand bags, whatever works and is handy to add weight to it for just walking around. This way you will know if the pack is comfortable, for one. An ill fitting pack is something you want to avoid-it can cause back and shoulder problems, so if you're going to find that out, now is the time for that.

Edited by TomD (08/29/09 08:29 PM)

#120072 - 08/29/09 10:44 PM Re: Asked in Health, didn't get a response... [Re: 5arah]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
A similar question is here.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#120173 - 09/02/09 12:04 AM Re: Asked in Health, didn't get a response... [Re: Trailrunner]
Steven Offline

Loc: United States
I seem to remember that post. smile

Having recently taken a bunch of weight off, I am also shooting to do part of the AT. The other end of it though in Georgia. smile

From what I have learned here getting out and walking would be the first thing. Add biking to your training plan to build yourself up. One thing that I learned from my marathon training is to go slowly and try not to exceed a 10% increase in anything. So if you start walking an hour with no weight, don't try to walk 5 hours with 40 lbs the next day.

I am trying to build up a training plan for my AT hike. I plan on starting in March or April hiking against the flow of traffic. smile I use a training plan for my marathon training and I think it will be helpful to others like us trying to get back into the hang of things. I will post it here when its done for comments.

The boots question is an interesting one. For my marathon I know I want to run in the shoes I train in, but I don't want to exceed 400 miles on the shoes, and I want to run the marathon in broken in shoes, not new shoes. With Hiking boots I would assume the break in process is just as important, however good hiking boots are designed to help you support the weight of the pack. If you don't have a pack on, walking in the boots is probably going to be awkward. This is probably a good place for trail running shoes, or lighter weight trail boots.

Someone mentioned clothing. Well one thing I learned in a couple of weeks back during two back to back 5 mile hikes is I like to hike in my running clothes.

I sweat a lot and the moisture wicking materials in the underwear and the shirt make a big difference in comfort. I literally hiked the first 5 mile hike in all cotton and the second day in my running clothes. It was a big difference.

Good luck getting going.

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation. It is better to be alone than in bad company.
George Washington

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum