Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#118353 - 07/15/09 04:35 PM gear buying help
Marc Offline

Loc: Iowa
backcountry.com just emailed me yesterday with an offer to buy anything at half off.
I was estatic. Here is my credit card ... load me up.
I should mention that it is only one item half off but I was still excited. My brain ran through my wish list like Dick Butkus through a Packer left guard.
There is nothing on my list that they have.
Not the tent I want, not the cookset I want, not the GPS I want, nothing.
I have the sleeping bag and pad I want. Nothing else.
They must have something I need and am totally unaware of.
I have told you I am totally new to this, I intend to spend the entire summer ( hopefully 2010 ) in Yellowstone regardless of any obstacles.
Clothes will be the last thing I buy. They were the first things I bought: boots,pants,t-shirts,longunderwear,etc. Six months of retirement has made me rethink the pants. Point being clothes will have to wait ( or weight ).
There must be something I need, and only asking experienced people will give me that answer. I would hate to be miles from anywhere and wish I had it.
Any advice and help you can give me ( on top of the mountain of help already given ) would be very much appreciated.

#118354 - 07/15/09 06:00 PM Re: gear buying help [Re: Marc]
jpanderson80 Offline

Loc: Memphis, TN
What type of hiking will you be doing?

Will you be living on the trail for days or weeks at a time... OR... will you be taking short 1-2 day hikes?

#118355 - 07/15/09 06:03 PM Re: gear buying help [Re: Marc]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
The only advice I can give you is to check your gear list against those of contributors to this forum and others and to look for items you feel you might need. I have one posted at http://www.backpackinglight.com/backpack...a40f980fecd.pdf that has changed little and mainly in the tent I now use.

To quote my father, "don't let your money burn a hole in your pocket". Give each potential purchase a lot of thought especially along the lines of need versus want. Also, give each item a lot of thought along the lines of weight versus potential problems such as condensation; lightest is not always the best. Trust me, there is a lot of cool stuff out there, cleverly packaged and marketed that one can want ; far less that you really need.

Did I mention that I have a bridge in downtown NY City that I am thinking of selling? grin

#118357 - 07/15/09 07:07 PM Re: gear buying help [Re: Marc]
Bearpaw Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Originally Posted By Marc
Any advice and help you can give me ( on top of the mountain of help already given ) would be very much appreciated.

Take the $100 or so you would spend on gear, and finance a trip with it within the next 12 days. You'll appreciate the memories more than another piece of gear you don't need.

#118360 - 07/15/09 08:14 PM Re: gear buying help [Re: jpanderson80]
Marc Offline

Hi JP

I will be dayhiking on average 3 out of every 4 days.

The majority of my time will be at developed campgrounds, ie: showers, laundry, cheeseburgers, etc.

I will have to travel backcountry to get from one developed campsite to another. Depending on what is available I may be in the backcountry from 2or 3 to 10 days. All depends on me and what is available.

#118361 - 07/15/09 08:33 PM Re: gear buying help [Re: Pika]
Marc Offline

Thanks Pika

If I did not have my heart set on Yellowstone I might consider going to NY and give that bridge of yours a look see. It would be the first time I ever considered going there.
I trust it is a toll bridge.
When embarking on any new challenge, need and want can be a fine line. Not knowing the difference is why I am obviously displaying my ignorance in a public forum.

#118362 - 07/15/09 08:58 PM Re: gear buying help [Re: Bearpaw]
Marc Offline

Hi bearpaw

I basically have no gear and did not want to let an opportunity to aquire something at half off slip away.

I agree that memories are worth 1000 times more than any gear I may carry or could possibly purchase. I would prefer however that those memories be my own and handed down to loved ones by word of mouth. I would hate for a mistake in my gear to prevent that from happening.

#118363 - 07/15/09 09:14 PM Re: gear buying help [Re: Marc]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
Hey Marc, I have enough bridges that I'll save one for you. Actually, I would prefer Yellowstone myself but there is another guy who has it on the market. grin

#118365 - 07/15/09 10:27 PM Re: gear buying help [Re: Marc]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Golite had a deal a month ago or less, 40% off everything on their site. I was really tempted to get another pack, but really don't need another pack at this point. The current model pack I wanted would have been cheaper then the 08 clearance packs ever were this winter. Plus, I need new tires for my pickup. A good deal is no good if there isn't a thing you want or need.:(

#118509 - 07/20/09 12:21 PM Re: gear buying help [Re: Marc]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
“There is nothing on my list that they have.”
“They must have something I need and am totally unaware of.”

I feel the pain crazy.
Well, it’s fun having a wish list. These aren’t high expense items but they are handy with me. How about some 1L platy bottles?
http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/CAS0448/Platypus-Platy-Bottle.html

I know you already have the pad, but how about a loaner pad for your spouse
http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/Therm-a-Rest-Neoair-Sleeping-Pad/CAS0503M.html

I know you said you don’t want clothes, but ˝ price on a wind jacket looks good; such as http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/GoLite-Ether-Jacket-Mens/GOL0307M.html

Let us know what you decide!

-Barry

#118533 - 07/20/09 05:04 PM Re: gear buying help [Re: BarryP]
Marc Offline

Thank you for the suggestions Barry.
While both the water bottle and jacket are things I will some day need, I have decided it would be in the best interest for me and my bank account to make an attempt at patience.
There will be other sales.
I also shamefully realize that my original post was (to be kind to me) rather rediculous. I would like to apologize for wasting the time of everyone who read it.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 62 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum