Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#117878 - 06/30/09 11:23 PM Is a rain jacket really worth $300?
lostsol95 Offline

Loc: USA
Hello,

I'm brand new to backpacking, and I'm planning a two week trip to Alaska in August. I need gear. I've grabbed a bunch of Backpacker magazines, and live at my local REI window shopping. I just don't know what gear to buy. I'm planning for my Alaska trip this year, and a Nepal trip next year. Alaska will mostly likely be rainy. So I'm starting with the outer shells of jacket and pants, and then boots. Prices range all of the place for the jacket and pants, and I'm not sure if I should just take the plunge and get the $200 to $300 eVent material or the GoreTex(ie. Mountain Hardware Xenon or Cohesion jackets), or just get the cheapest. I'm thinking I should just get the lightest boots that I can find (ie. Vasque Breeze LT Mid Gore-Tex).

Thanks!

#117883 - 07/01/09 12:21 AM Re: Is a rain jacket really worth $300? [Re: lostsol95]
Wolfeye Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
For trail hikes, something waterproof-breatheable that's light and packable would work well. (I got my set from Cabela's, not REI, for something like $70 for each the top & bottom.) For off-trail, something waterproof-breatheable & tough from Helly Hansen might be your best bet. I use whatever lightweight eVent/Goretex boots I own at the time. Don't forget a backpack liner or cover.

Edit: Starting with a good shell is a wise first step for gear. Clothes that insulate when moist and that dry quickly are another must. The clothes I use most for summer hikes up there are nylon pants & shirt from Backpacking Light, medium polypropylene long undies, heavy polypro top, synthetic vest (I'm curious about the one from Montbell), Smartwool liner socks, and a wool cap & gloves.

I grew up in SE Alaska, and the rain is simply a part of reality up there. Figure on it raining at least one day of your trip, even during August.

Edited by Wolfeye (07/01/09 12:42 AM)

#117899 - 07/01/09 03:39 PM Re: Is a rain jacket really worth $300? [Re: Wolfeye]
lostsol95 Offline

The plan is to do Kenai - hiking around exit glacier, and kayaking/hiking around bear glacier. Then up to Denali for some backpacking. They say the weather early august is around 65 to 60 degrees during the day, colder at night. I've read people wear t-shirts and shorts during the day for their hikes.

I'll check out cabela and Helly Hansen gear. What boots do you currently own? I'm not sure if Vibram is much better than regular rubber, can you attest to that?

Thanks for your suggestions.

#117901 - 07/01/09 04:27 PM Re: Is a rain jacket really worth $300? [Re: lostsol95]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

I've done many many hikes in that kind of weather without a 300 dollar jacket, but it really depends on you, and how you hike. I'm a big fat guy, but I tend to hike all day, only taking a few short breaks. I don't tend to sit around in the rain, so I'm usually moving. What I take is a nylon windshirt and 100 wt fleece with quick drying nylon clothing. My goal is to stay warm, not necessarily dry, because I find that in most raingear or "breathable" clothing I tend to sweat a lot when I am moving and this will simply make me wet anyway. I carry a lightweight (waterproof) silnylon ponco (ID silponcho) for serious rain. It will cover me and my pack in a torrent.

Now having said that, it really depends on you, how you hike, how you sweat, and what keeps you comfortable.
Browse my pictures

#117905 - 07/01/09 04:50 PM Re: Is a rain jacket really worth $300? [Re: phat]
lostsol95 Offline

With this response, it sounds like I should just wear my cycling gear and buy a $2 poncho from walmart....

#117912 - 07/01/09 05:55 PM Re: Is a rain jacket really worth $300? [Re: lostsol95]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
You did not say what type of trip you were planning for Nepal. I prefer a poncho for wet & warm trips, but a waterproof/breathable jacket for alpine (multi-days above timberline)trips.

Above 6,000 m. your life could depend on your gear and yes, then a jacket could be worth $300.

#117924 - 07/01/09 11:04 PM Re: Is a rain jacket really worth $300? [Re: ringtail]
lostsol95 Offline

I haven't planned out the Nepal trip yet. I'll start planning after I return from Alaska. My main focus is to travel during the spring/summer/early fall seasons. I do not plan on backpacking during colder months.

Thanks

#117926 - 07/02/09 09:19 AM Re: Is a rain jacket really worth $300? [Re: lostsol95]
lostsol95 Offline

As far as boots go, is the Vibram rubber much better than regular rubber?

#117928 - 07/02/09 09:33 AM Re: Is a rain jacket really worth $300? [Re: lostsol95]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I think they last longer. But, they might not have as much grip as a softer rubber. At any rate, I don't usually use vibram soles as my deciding factor. It is more of an extra.

#117929 - 07/02/09 09:38 AM Re: Is a rain jacket really worth $300? [Re: lostsol95]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
A combination of DriDucks jacket (6.7 oz.) and Brawny Windshirt from BPL (3.8 oz.) would a better value and more versatile than an eVent jacket. Wear the windshirt over the DriDucks to protect it.

#117933 - 07/02/09 11:30 AM Re: Is a rain jacket really worth $300? [Re: finallyME]
lostsol95 Offline

Thanks, then I'll probably go for the Vasque Breeze LT Mid Gore-Tex since they are the lightest I can find.

Style Light-hiking
Cut Mid
Waterproof Yes
Upper Synthetic nubuck leather/nylon mesh
Lining Waterproof breathable membrane/nylon
Midsole EVA
Support Thermoplastic urethane plate
Outsole Rubber
Average weight 2 lbs. 2 oz.
Average weight - metric 0.96 kilogram

#117934 - 07/02/09 11:32 AM Re: Is a rain jacket really worth $300? [Re: ringtail]
lostsol95 Offline

And DriDucks for $20 bucks sounds like a plan

#117940 - 07/02/09 03:21 PM Re: Is a rain jacket really worth $300? [Re: lostsol95]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I just noticed that there are a couple of reviews on those boots over at Backpackgeartest.org. I have the Gore-Tex trail shoe version, and like them a lot.

Edited by Glenn (07/02/09 03:22 PM)

#117941 - 07/02/09 03:35 PM Re: Is a rain jacket really worth $300? [Re: Wolfeye]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
What Wolfeye said. I've been praising this set for two years on this site.

I also have the Cabela's Rainy River PacLite GTX rain suit. With excellent quality, design, an REI-type garantee and THE best price for PacLite you can find this side of a garage sale Cabela's has it covered.

Eric

#117942 - 07/02/09 03:46 PM Re: Is a rain jacket really worth $300? [Re: lostsol95]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Quote:
With this response, it sounds like I should just wear my cycling gear and buy a $2 poncho from walmart....

Pretty much true, however, search out places like Sierra Trading Post and the like for deals. I found a $200 GoLite rain/wind shell there for $39! It weights under 6 oz. and has been my main outer layer for the last 4 years. Otherwise, I bring a homemade Robinson poncho/shelter which cover me and the pack. Campmor sells an ultralite poncho/shelter for around $50. All the REI's here are across town and I've never found anything in the stores that suit me.
The bike stuff is a good idea if you already have it. Mine is a little too form fitting for hiking...to me anyway.

#117950 - 07/02/09 08:03 PM Re: Is a rain jacket really worth $300? [Re: lostsol95]
MountainMinstrel Offline

I got a pair of Vasque Breeze this tear and like them. They seem to be cut a little bit narrow but that is why I like them. They are light, have proven waterproof, and I have not slipped once even on wet granite or coming down the notoriously rolly Yosemite Falls trail.

#117955 - 07/02/09 11:28 PM Re: Is a rain jacket really worth $300? [Re: 300winmag]
lars Offline

Loc: Bay Area
Originally Posted By 300winmag

I also have the Cabela's Rainy River PacLite GTX rain suit. With excellent quality, design, an REI-type garantee and THE best price for PacLite you can find this side of a garage sale Cabela's has it covered.

Eric

Ditto on the Rainy River jacket and pants. I think for Nepal, it might be your best bet at about $70-80 per piece. It's a nice safe middle ground: not too light, not too heavy, not too expensive, not too fragile, not too sweaty.

The only downside I can think off over the $300 parka is no pit zips. And go for the long version unless you have really short arms.

Dry Ducks would be fine for moderate hiking in Alaska in the summer, but it is a bit fragile, and above timberline in Nepal, it might not be that easy to get a replacement if it rips and being in a sleet storm at 10000ft and hours from the nearest house or camp site without a waterproof jacket sucks.

If a jacket is worth $300 is completely in the eye of the beholder. I went through quite a few of more expensive ones (which you can often sell on eBay close to the original price if you shop carefully), and the Rainy River was the one I kept the longest and abused the most.

Obviously, the fact that I replaced it with a $280 REI Shuksan pretty much contradicts what I just wrote.

#117957 - 07/03/09 12:40 AM Re: Is a rain jacket really worth $300? [Re: lars]
lostsol95 Offline

Since I'm just getting into backpacking, then I'll probably spend the most on the boots ($130), and get the middle of the road rain gear.

Thank again for your replies.

#117961 - 07/03/09 07:52 AM Re: Is a rain jacket really worth $300? [Re: lostsol95]
scottyb Offline

Loc: Texas Hill Country
Originally Posted By lostsol95
Since I'm just getting into backpacking, then I'll probably spend the most on the boots ($130), and get the middle of the road rain gear.

Thank again for your replies.

I'm another big fan of the Vasque Breeze. They require little to no break-in. I wear them daily for work and on the trail.

#117974 - 07/03/09 07:22 PM Re: Is a rain jacket really worth $300? [Re: lostsol95]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Its not worth it if it doesn't have pit zips. Too many really light jackets skip the need for ventilation because it makes the jacket an ounce lighter.

Also if it were me, I'd take my goretex or packlite jacket. It works for me.
Jim YMMV

#117987 - 07/03/09 11:51 PM Re: Is a rain jacket really worth $300? [Re: scottyb]
lostsol95 Offline

Just ordered the Breeze. The Lite version, without the Vibram rubber. I'll let you know what I think of them. Thanks

#118024 - 07/04/09 11:02 PM Re: Is a rain jacket really worth $300? [Re: Jimshaw]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
My Dear Sir JAmes,

Yeah, I'm a pit zip man myself and the Cabela's GTX PacLite parka has none.

BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE! It does have very large slash front pockets lined W/a mesh fabric, so when unzipped the jacket breathes very well if you're overheating on a steep, miserably wet uphill slog.

Eric

#118025 - 07/04/09 11:24 PM Re: Is a rain jacket really worth $300? [Re: lostsol95]
midnightsun03 Offline

Loc: Alaska
One thing you need to know about Alaska is that the areas you're planning on visiting can have prolonged "rainy" periods, but the actual amount of precipitation is not all that much. In Anchorage it can rain all day and only have 1/4" of rain. Kenai is a little bit wetter, but it is usually pretty easy to dry out. The humidity is generally quite low. I've done plenty of hiking in the rain without any rain gear at all. Polypro is nice to have... dries quickly while you're still wearing it. Seriously, you don't need expensive rain gear here... the rain doesn't care, LOL! You might actually get more mileage out of a softshell jacket to tell the truth. I have close to a dozen of them now. OTOH I only have 2 raincoats and I rarely use them now.

MNS

Edit: LOL, I counted my jackets - 9 softshells, 7 smooth outside, 2 fleece outside, and 2 rainjackets - a Sierra Designs packable parka and a GoLite that has been discontinued for many years now (can't remember the name). The GoLite (my favorite) was originally over $100 IIRC, but of course I didn't pay that much for it.

Edited by midnightsun03 (07/05/09 12:12 AM)
Edit Reason: Correct my math

#118026 - 07/04/09 11:47 PM Re: Is a rain jacket really worth $300? [Re: midnightsun03]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Hi Midnight
Listen to the local... What she said.
Jim crazy

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
1 registered (), 202 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum