Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#117867 - 06/30/09 09:08 PM Solution for Sleeping Pad?
MattnID Offline

Loc: Idaho
Well, I'm wondering if anyone has a solution possibly for a minor issue I've been having with my sleeping pad. I'm even curious if anyone else has has any similar issues.

My problem would be that when I get around to blowing up my sleeping pad, it eventually loses much of its air throughout the night. At first I thought it might be leaking air somewhere, so after this trip I returned from this past weekend I blew it up and let it sit all day. It was still inflated just fine.

So, knowing now that I don't have an obvious leak, I can only assume it loses air because the temperature goes from the 70's down into the 40-30 degree range as the night progresses. So while I start out with a comfortable cushion of air in the late evening, by morning it is probably half as full as it was.

While this really is only a minor inconvenience as far as I'm concerned, it is one of those things that bugs me merely because I can not currently see a way to prevent it at the moment. So I've come here to see if collective thought may provide a solution. I know I could go buy a new pad that doesn't recquire being inflated, but like I said, it is a minor inconvenience and more or less something that pokes at my brain to be solved.

#117869 - 06/30/09 09:23 PM Re: Solution for Sleeping Pad? [Re: MattnID]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
Sorry but like trying to fight against gravity , you cannot defeat Boyle's law.
Of course it was much better when I was young and these kind of laws and regulations were not in place...
Franco
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boyle's_law

#117871 - 06/30/09 09:39 PM Re: Solution for Sleeping Pad? [Re: Franco]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Franco: Are you trying to get us to believe that you tested the prototype "dirt"? wink

Matt: I agree with Franco. My pad does the same thing; always has. Your only option is to suck it up (groan!) and reinflate. Since I'm of a "maturity" that requires a 3am stroll to answer the call of nature, I just do it then.

Edited by Glenn (06/30/09 09:41 PM)

#117873 - 06/30/09 09:48 PM Re: Solution for Sleeping Pad? [Re: Franco]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
FWIW, mine stays fairly full/tight all night. Maybe I just live a more virtuous life of something (good thing no one that knows me reads this stuff ...).

I've got a Montbell UL pad and toggle-to pillow, and used those a great deal on the trail last year, never felt the need to reinflate. It's a pretty thin inflatable, and I fill it pretty full/tight too.

#117879 - 06/30/09 11:24 PM Re: Solution for Sleeping Pad? [Re: BrianLe]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Sorry - didn't mean to imply that mine went flat. It just deflates slightly; if it was very firm when I went to bed, it's just slightly firm by 3am. Were I lucky enough to sleep through the night, it wouldn't ever deflate enough to wake me up. (Mine's a Thermarest Prolite 4 short - which works, because so am I.)

#117886 - 07/01/09 09:04 AM Re: Solution for Sleeping Pad? [Re: MattnID]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
It appears you do have a small leak. Inflate your mat/pad. Let a 40lb weight sit on it overnight. I use a 5 gal bucket of water. If there’s a small leak, the weight will be touching bottom in the morning.

To go from 75F (297K) to 35F (275K) is only a 7.4% drop in pressure. This is hard for a human to notice unless you are the princess and the pea. And it might be a less drop since your warm body is lying on the mat.

Pin-hole leaks are so hard to find, even under water, because you get micro bubbles that are hard to see. I had a thermarest with a pinhole leak that I couldn’t find. I sent it in. Cascade Designs found it and patched it. Actually they found two! So I won’t strap my thermarest to the outside of my backpack anymore. blush

-Barry

#117889 - 07/01/09 10:13 AM Re: Solution for Sleeping Pad? [Re: BarryP]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I am with Barry, I think you have a pinhole leak. They won't be noticed unless there is weight on the pad.

#117902 - 07/01/09 04:29 PM Re: Solution for Sleeping Pad? [Re: finallyME]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

I agree, you have a pinhole leak - or a slow leak at your valve (I've seen that fairly often too..

put a weight on it.
Browse my pictures

#117917 - 07/01/09 08:15 PM Re: Solution for Sleeping Pad? [Re: phat]
MattnID Offline

Welp, I put weight on it to see if maybe there is a pinhole leak or the valve is leaking. The weight sat for about 8 hours or so. When I took the weights off and went to blow air into to see if it had lost any air, I couldn't blow any air into because it was still full. So I can only now rule out a pinhole leak or leaky valve.

I have had to make a change slightly to my initial temperatures though. Instead of a high of around 70 degrees, it has to be more along the lines of the 90 degree range roughly since the air is coming out of a body that is more than 98 degrees warm. This may be one of those things I'm going to have to wait until winter to confirm since it isn't cold at night here and I can only get those temperatures while hiking.

I'm thinking maybe I'll try blowing it up again though, adding a bit more weight and leaving it for longer since the weight that was on there today was not comparable to my own weight, despite being on there longer than I'd sleep on it. We'll see how it turns out here in a few days I guess.

#117978 - 07/03/09 08:31 PM Re: Solution for Sleeping Pad? [Re: Glenn]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
As a teenager nobody in my village had the money to buy tents and I was not aware that there was such a thing as a "mat" so we slept cowboy style only one night at a time, in the middle of summer, a few times a year when we took our chances with the weather. That was at around 8000', home was at 3600'. We had sleeping bags made from animal hair....
Now a 1" mat is far to thin for me.
Franco

#117980 - 07/03/09 11:28 PM Re: Solution for Sleeping Pad? [Re: MattnID]
MattnID Offline

Welp, I put about 100lbs spread over the pad for around 12 hours and I didn't lose any air. That therefore rules out the pinhole idea, which means I'll pretty much just have to roll with a slightly flatter pad in the early cold mornings. I can't complain to much at the end of the day of course. It is far better than sleeping plainly on the ground like I used to have to do, lol.

#117992 - 07/04/09 03:17 AM Re: Solution for Sleeping Pad? [Re: Franco]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
Boyle's Law is persactly why I ret'd my Neo Air to REI - that and the bounciness of it. FElt like an inflatable doll - not that I would know about those things.

NEWS FLASH! I got lucky! At a Sierra Club Outings leadership course near Donner Lake in California a few weeks ago there was an end-of-training raffle for some outdoors equipment. I got The Grand Prize:
1. Trail pro Regular matress
2. fitted top sheet
3. snap-on quilted blanket
4. pillow

(Even a blind squirrel gets a few acorns.)
Eric

#117998 - 07/04/09 12:36 PM Re: Solution for Sleeping Pad? [Re: MattnID]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Do you inflate completely with your mouth, or do you let it inflate with ambient air and then top up by blowing in it. With
thermarests this works better because you end up with predominantly colder denser air in there and only a little bit of warm air from your mouth..

Alternatively be sure to inflate first thing when you get into camp and top it up later. before going to bed.
Browse my pictures

#118000 - 07/04/09 12:38 PM Re: Solution for Sleeping Pad? [Re: phat]
MattnID Offline

I actually can't think if I let it sit or not before I blow it up when camp is set up. Either way though I do blow in it again before I actually lay on it for the night.

#118002 - 07/04/09 12:47 PM Re: Solution for Sleeping Pad? [Re: MattnID]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Funny

Not everything expands when it gets warmer nor contracts when it gets cooler and the air in your pad isn't at ambient anyway cause yer layin on it. Sure Boyles law applies to the air, but not to the container. My Warmlight down air-mattress gets harder during the night and often I have to let some air out to soften it a bit. Since its 3 " fully inflated, it can lose some air and not suffer. I have to be careful not to over inflate it.
Jim crazy
Jim

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
1 registered (), 202 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum