Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#117452 - 06/21/09 12:19 PM Planning for long trips away from your home base
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Next week I will go to Wyoming (from N.Cal) to spend 2 1/2 months backpacking. I did this two years ago and learned some lessons. I thought some might be interested in my planning process.

I have 10 separate trips planned, varying from 2-days to 11-days. I have figured out 2-3 different routes for each trip - usually a shorter version and a reverse loop version. This gives me some flexibility if I get behind schedule. Sometimes simply doing the route in reverse solves some issues with too long or hard a first day. I try to keep my early miles on trails and save the challenging off-trial stuff for later when my pack is lighter. For each trip, I have one gallon size zip-lock bag with all the maps I will need and print-outs of the trip options.

I have used Google Maps to view each route and have tentative route lines drawn on my set of field maps, based on the satallite photos. This is especially helpful in off-trail travel to avoid bushwhaking.

I have made a master schedule with several permutations of the order that I could do the trips. I color coded each trip based on priority. I expect to have to drop a few of the low priority trips due to weather or getting behind schedule. I also expect that early snow conditions will dictate my schedule. My family at home also have this schedule and I call them every time I get out of a trip and let them know of changes I make. I have one mid-season 11-day trip where others will join me. This is my "set in stone" trip. With all others I can be flexible.

This time I am taking two large coolers with 8 trips worth of non-perishable food already trail-packed and put into 2-day, 5-day, 6-day, 7-day and 11-day sets. In each bag I have a print-out of what is in it, and a grocery list of what I need to buy. Last trip I depended on buying at local stores and found that the tiny stores just did not have what I needed. There are no Trader-Joes or Whole Foods in small towns in Wyoming! I am lucky to have friends in Lander, so this is my "base". The first thing I will do is drop off extra supplies and store them in a friends cool basement. I am hesitent to store food for two months in my car at trailheads. I will have to buy food for the last two trips - not sure I will even get to do this due to weather. I have two bear cannisters that I will store the food that I take with me in my car. I can set these outside the car at the trialheads where they will stay cooler.

I have also made little packets of items that are used on each trip - gas cannister, toothpaste, wipes, sunscreen. I also have some extra first-aid supplies and repair items ready to go if needed, and a few extra water bottles, an extra stove, and extra shoes.

I have selected and packed 4 sets of clothing that will need washing. This way I can avoid having to find a laundromat after each trip. I have put these in Eagle Creek cubes. I have print-outs of gear lists for each trip - sort of a check off list. I also have a master list with the weights of all my items so that I can mix and match if needed with full knowledge of what this will do to my total pack weight.

I have made a map of all the miles I will drive. It shows the highways, secondary roads and trailhead roads. Each segment has estimated drive-time as well as miles. Because I have an old car, and limited finances and time, I have been very careful about minimizing drives. Thus, I am basically first doing trips close to Lander, then will drive to Pinedale to do the west side trips. I have researched and listed services in each town - where to get a shower, motels, eats, wi-fi etc. For me, it is important to know where the auto repair shops are!

Because some trailheads are remote, I always carry about 4 days extra food in my car, 4 gallon of potable water, jumper cables.

I am taking a spare shoes, pack, tent and sleeping pad. These are items that could break and I would hate to have to buy in a hurry from what is locally available. I also have a car-camping sleeping bag that in a pinch could be used.

The planning is a bit daunting, but nothing wastes time like putzing around town between trips trying to find stuff. Also, from a pyschological standpoint, having everything ready to go keeps me from excuses to delay "just one more day in town".

I realise that there are non-planner types who would never to this amount of pre-planning. To each his own. Just thought I would share a few of the things I did. I would love to hear what others do.

#117456 - 06/21/09 01:28 PM Re: Planning for long trips away from your home base [Re: wandering_daisy]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Hi
Have a great time smile

I know you are really into food preparation and planning, so you do the same planning thing for overnights probably. I also know that you use a gear list and that you have been doing this for long enough that you are comfortable with your gear, as shown by the detail of your driving lists and food lists, yet no gear list. Yer kinda saying "the gears not a problem, food and travel is".

I am an awful food planner, so I generally take someone who can cook and is into it. I'm sure you will eat much better than I would, on a long trip.

As far as the long trips away from your car. Its a problem. You mentioned stashing spare bear cans full of food and not wanting to leave 2 months supply of food in your car at trail heads. My problem on any long trip is we have so much non-backpacking gear in the truck that I hesitate to leave it parked at trailheads, yet as you say - resupply is very difficult at small "smoke shops" in little towns. Its good that you have friends where you can leave stuff.

What kind of batteries does your camera use? How will you store the spares? Will you write your story by hand in a journal?

Anyway best of luck. If it were me, I'd add an axe and a chain saw and maybe a come-along in case I had to clear a log blocking a road. And finally - do not forget your towel and peril sensitive sun glasses.
Jim

#117463 - 06/21/09 06:48 PM Re: Planning for long trips away from your home base [Re: Jimshaw]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I did mention gear lists - they are packed inside my "clean clothes" pack-it cubes! Yes, gear lists are important to me.

As for camera- rechargable battery- I will have to find some electric outlets. There are lots of lodges along the back roads and I ususally just beg to plug in and recharge my camera for the "price" of a beer. I would be curious if there were a charger that I could plug into my lighter. I have a Cannon "Power Shot SD800 IS".

Chain saw? Not me. I probably would cut off my leg. Trees on roads have never been a problem - ruts and washed out roads are! Thanks, that reminds me, to pack a shovel. And as fall snows get near, I stay to trailheads not too high up and a bit less remote. Just in case.

I have a Toyota Corolla wagon so one reason I do not want to lug everything around is space. I lock it and never have had any problems. The FS says if food is inside your car the bears have yet to figure out that they can break in. I am skeptical. Since I have the bear cannisters, I rather put the food outside, in the shade under a bush, out of sight and about 50 feet from my car.

I am doing a "road trip" - backpack combination - a bit different than a through hike. But it still takes a lot of planning.

Last time I went, I was caught off guard when I went to a local outdoor store to buy a gas cannister, to find out that someone came in a few hours earlier and purchased EVERY cannister the guy had! He would not get resupplied for two days! I had to drive to the next town to get a gas cannister!

Well, I do hope to have a lot of fun. Can't wait. All I need now is for the weather to clear up a bit. They are having some nasty stuff in Wyoming right now. I am taking my laptop and when I get to wi-fi I will post a report on my wanderings! Believe it or not, one ususally can get public wi-fi in laundromats.

#117465 - 06/21/09 07:05 PM Re: Planning for long trips away from your home base [Re: Jimshaw]
Keith Offline

Loc: Michigan's Upper Peninsula
All the best to you. Of course . . . a full accounting would be welcome when you return. smile

#117466 - 06/21/09 08:30 PM Re: Planning for long trips away from your home ba [Re: Keith]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
All the best to you, WD! Like others here, I'll be waiting for trip reports!

Weather hasn't been great in the Northwest, either. We've had three weeks of thunderstorms, unusual around here. Friday the river (aka street) in front of my house ran brimful, to the top of the curbs, for almost 4 hours, and right now it's snowing at Timberline Lodge. The weather folk do hint at possible warmer, dryer weather later this week. I hope so!

My camera uses AA batteries, and I use rechargeables (Sanyo Eneloop). I've found that if I turn the LED screen off and just use the viewfinder, one set of batteries will last for weeks. With the LED screen on, I can run through a set of batteries in less than a day. I do have to spend more time editing photos on the computer, though. Yes, you can get a battery recharger that will work in your car's cigarette lighter!

Edited by OregonMouse (06/21/09 08:38 PM)

#117467 - 06/21/09 08:41 PM Re: Planning for long trips away from your home base [Re: wandering_daisy]
Eric Offline

Loc: The State of Jefferson
My (similar)Canon uses a NB-3L battery. Amazon has a car charger listed for under 4 bucks.

#117471 - 06/21/09 10:07 PM Re: Planning for long trips away from your home ba [Re: OregonMouse]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Mouse
I can keep the LCD display off cause I can't see it anyway, but I use fill in flash a lot. I think its worth the power to get the fill, especially if you shooting pro now.

Lets check out those car lighter chargers. Remember though, cameras are low voltage, mine -hp- may be 3 volts.
Jim crazy

Edited by Jimshaw (06/21/09 10:08 PM)

#117474 - 06/21/09 11:18 PM Re: Planning for long trips away from your home ba [Re: Jimshaw]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I am impressed by your level of planning! Although I do plan, my gear is stored and my general lists are prepared so that I can pack in one or two evenings, stop at the grocery store and the way out and just go. Maybe when my kids are grown I'll have the time to do the kind of planning you have. Best wishes and have a great trip!

#117477 - 06/22/09 01:02 AM Re: Planning for long trips away from your home base [Re: wandering_daisy]
sarbar Offline

Loc: WA
wd....get a power inverter that plugs into your power point/cigarette lighter/whatever it is called laugh Then you can simply plug your at home batter charger into it. We have a high end one we use when traveling to charge our laptops (didn't cost a lot either). We charge our phones, cameras, etc on it. Way easier than buying a dedicated car charger for each fun toy!

#117480 - 06/22/09 03:16 AM Re: Planning for long trips away from your home base [Re: wandering_daisy]
Marc Offline

Loc: Iowa
My only contribution is to wish you a most enjoyable trip and most importantly a safe one. I am looking forward to reading all about it.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 311 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum