Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#117342 - 06/16/09 10:03 PM How much light transmission at a given elevation?
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
I have done some searching to see how much light transmission is ok at a certain elevation for your eyes, but can't come up with a comparison or chart. I see where "mountain climbers" need 5% to 8% light transmission in glacier glasses/sun glasses, but would like a chart or comparision table for any given elevation. I just found out, that permissible light changes by 5% percenage points for every 1000'. I would like some eye protection good for an elevation of around 8000' or less, since my winter trips are at a lower elevation than that, but could go close to that if going to Lassen Volcanic National Park. I'm going to AK in a little bit and I guess we may visit a glacier while there and I want something finally to give my eyes decent protection that I can use in the future. Does anyone know, or have a chart? If I knew what the elevation was where a maximum of 5% light transmission starts at and could figure downward, I could figure this out.

Also, I need something to fit over my small glasses, someone mentioned Cocoons, but I can't find any info on their light transmission.

#117360 - 06/17/09 12:45 PM Re: How much light transmission at a given elevation? [Re: hikerduane]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Interesting question. I've never seen such a chart.

I prefer sub 10% transmission for any mountain travel. Most important: the glasses need 100% UV cutoff. While the sun is definitely more intense up there, it's only a true problem when traveling on snow, where you need to deal with reflection from below in addition to the direct sun. For that I like gradient tint lenses that are darker below and above, as well as more complete coverage (larger, wraparound lenses). Even better if they're also polarized (polarized and tinted lenses can be difficult to find, but some makers have them). That and a dark brimmed hat or cap and I'm good to go.

Originally Posted By hikerduane
I have done some searching to see how much light transmission is ok at a certain elevation for your eyes, but can't come up with a comparison or chart. I see where "mountain climbers" need 5% to 8% light transmission in glacier glasses/sun glasses, but would like a chart or comparision table for any given elevation. I just found out, that permissible light changes by 5% percenage points for every 1000'. I would like some eye protection good for an elevation of around 8000' or less, since my winter trips are at a lower elevation than that, but could go close to that if going to Lassen Volcanic National Park. I'm going to AK in a little bit and I guess we may visit a glacier while there and I want something finally to give my eyes decent protection that I can use in the future. Does anyone know, or have a chart? If I knew what the elevation was where a maximum of 5% light transmission starts at and could figure downward, I could figure this out.

Also, I need something to fit over my small glasses, someone mentioned Cocoons, but I can't find any info on their light transmission.

#117362 - 06/17/09 02:29 PM Re: How much light transmission at a given elevation? [Re: Rick_D]
hikerduane Offline

Info I have read, says a wrap around design gives better coverage and a better view to the sides, not sold on polarized lenses as it seems they don't give very good depth perception, where as a grey or brown works better. 100% UV protection is what I want also. I definitely need something, as the last couple years on snow camp trips, around my eyes I get pretty puffy the next day. Look funny, like I had allergies real bad. I may go with some Cocoons, I need to go in and see what they offer in light transmission soon, as my trip starts early August. I know Cocoons don't offer sub 10% light transmission.

#117364 - 06/17/09 03:13 PM Re: How much light transmission at a given elevation? [Re: hikerduane]
MattnID Offline

Loc: Idaho
Well, not that I'm very experienced in the details of this, but I'll try and contribute as far as suggestions go.

I've got a pair of Oakley M-Frames with polarized lenses(thank you Army) that I used a lot in Iraq as well as when I got back to Alaska and we did a lot of winter training. Now I'm not sure if these are considered " wrap arounds" but they cover a lot of space on the face. They did however work great in both enironments, Iraq with its ruthless, never ending sunlight and Alaska in the winter when it was sunny got pretty darn bright and snow blindness was almost instant once you walked outside.

As for polarized lenses depth perception thing, I don't know that I can believe that. But as I said, I'm not sure if M-Frames are considered wrap arounds which if they are not, might be why I didn't notice any affect on my depth perception.

But anyway, that's my own experience, whether it's applicable or not I guess is up to you, lol.

#117371 - 06/17/09 06:38 PM Re: How much light transmission at a given elevation? [Re: MattnID]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Since you mention Oakley, I have some A-Wires with Black Irridium lenses that are both pola and tinted, totalling 9% transmission (they need repair now, but hey...).

Anyway, they're the best high-altitude glasses I've ever had. They stay put on my face and provide very good coverage.

FWIW light reflecting from the snow and water and to an extent from haze is polarized, and polarized lenses definitely help cut glare and enhance details. But a solely polarized lens does not provide a 90% block, which is why it should also be tinted, otherwise transmission can be as high as 35%.

Cheers,

#117380 - 06/18/09 03:28 AM Re: How much light transmission at a given elevation? [Re: Rick_D]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
I have no idea as to the transmission factor, but I have an old pair of Bolle glacier glasses with the leather side panels. They are super dark and work great in the snow or even at the beach.

I also wear a pair of goggles over my prescription sunglasses when I ski. I can swap out the lenses depending on the weather. I have yellow and dark gray lenses. The combo works well.

Make sure you wear something, though. You can get "snowburned" really quickly at altitude and it will fry your eyes for sure.

#117382 - 06/18/09 08:56 AM Re: How much light transmission at a given elevation? [Re: TomD]
hikerduane Offline

I never heard of light transmission either until I started checking out glacier glasses. Pretty important at higher elevations and on snow. Just because the lenses are dark, does not mean they are protecting the eyes, as that will allow the pupil? to open up and allow more damage. Lenses need to stop UV, IR and a sufficient amount of light also to protect eyes from damage. So much to digest! Arrgh! Let me out of here! Ahhhh!!!

#117419 - 06/20/09 12:09 AM Re: How much light transmission at a given elevation? [Re: hikerduane]
Paul Offline

Loc: California
I think you really have 2 questions to answer. The first is about the level of light that will damage your eyesight, and the second is about how dark is comfortable for you. the second question has a different answer for each person, as there is definitely a difference in light sensitivity from one person to the next. I, for instance, like very dark lenses. I'm the first guy to put on shades while others are doing fine without. I have a pair of Julbo Colorado glacier glasses, 5% transmission, and I often with they were darker. I use them year round, with the side shields for backcountry skiing, and without for backpacking in the summer. At 12,000 feet in early May on the snow, I wish they were darker. In August, on the dirt and granite, they are about right, and I use them at elevations down to about 6000 feet just fine. Your eyes my be more or less sensitive than mine, so your needs may vary. I tried some photocromic Julbos. which adjusted from something like 7 to 3 or 4%, but they did not fit me as well. I can defintely recommend the Colorados as a good value, only about $50 for a quality pair of glasses. I would suggest that any pair of glasses for which you can't find out the light transmission should be ruled out right away. Don't take any chances with your eyes. Better to get a pair of glasses that may turn out too dark for you than the other way around.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
1 registered (), 202 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum