Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#116064 - 05/15/09 12:09 AM Separate beginners and returnees forum?
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
I have observed that a lot of the "newbies" posting here, and that term is relative to being new here, not necessarily to one's level of experience, and not all are new at all, but are returnees to backpacking after a lot of time has passed.

Anyway the actual beginners here are trying to learn from respected mentors because they are smart enough to realise that they don't know enough to stay alive in the woods by their own wits, at least currently. They don't even know what they don't know yet.

Another bunch is looking at light weight camping and wondering if its for them and wanting to know what others more experienced have found. They have some experience, are often young and into trying new modern things, and they are becoming gear heads.

BUT, another very large group is the returning backpacker. These guys have some experience, own some gear that may be bomb proof, boots maybe, probably a pack stove and tent. This group needs to figure out how to use the gear they have, leave out what they don't need, and decide what new gear they want or need.

We often go through long theoretical gear lists for people with next to nothing, who are starting from scratch. The returnee needs articles on how to use the gear he has, what to leave out, how to go lighter without spending much.

just a thought, guess I need to go camping. Hey Mt bachelor closes its annual season on Sunday with the pond skimming contest, and no I do not skim ponds full of ice water. The day before is the biggest race around Bend, its the Pole, peddle, paddle. You cross country ski up at Mt Bachelor, bike down to town 20 miles (past our house where I ring my cowbell), run up the trail on the other side of the road and back, and then paddle down the Deschutes to cross the finish line.

Jim

#116080 - 05/15/09 12:00 PM Re: Separate beginners and returnees forum? [Re: Jimshaw]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
A few questions: Can't beginners learn something from our advice to returnees? And vice versa? And what about those who don't tell us much of anything about their status? My advice to both groups is quite similar, especially that of practicing with their new gear in their backyards or while car-camping!

I've also noted that a number of returnees wanting to replace heavy gear post in the Lightweight Gear section, which is fine!

We also get those beginners who have already started buying heavy gear (generally due to poor advice from REI or, worse yet, one of the low-end chain stores) and might want to return some of it. And they inevitably have bought an enormous 7-pound pack first!

It looks as though the Pacific Northwest is going to have a lot of melting this weekend, with freezing levels rising to as much as 13,000 feet and Portland temps into the mid-80's by Sunday. I'll be on the beach with my grandkids! I need to get out camping, too. The class I teach on Wednesdays has its last session next week, so I'm hoping to get out for an overnighter right after Memorial Day weekend.

Edited by OregonMouse (05/15/09 12:11 PM)

#116090 - 05/15/09 02:32 PM Re: Separate beginners and returnees forum? [Re: OregonMouse]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
I suppose the question for me would "beginner at what". There are many types of beginners. The beginner backpacker, the beginner hiker, the beginner camper, the beginner lite-weight backpacker, the beginner camp chef, the beginner over-40-backpacker, etc... I suppose other sections are more appropriate for specific questions... lightweight gear, or cooking for example but an in general beginner section seems to encompass all types of beginners and their respective needs.

#116095 - 05/15/09 03:41 PM Re: Separate beginners and returnees forum? [Re: DTape]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I'm hardly a beginner at backpacking after 29 years. I'm definately not a beginner at lightweight backpacking. I only weighed 125lbs in college and I simply couldn't carry those 60lbs loads very far so I HAD to find ways to lighten up from the very beginning. Yet, I still find interesting things to think about in all areas of this forum including the beginner section. Why divide people? Aren't we all here to share our enjoyment of backpacking and help others to enjoy it too?

#116119 - 05/15/09 09:14 PM Re: Separate beginners and returnees forum? [Re: thecook]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Hi
Well you all make good points, I was askin smile
We all have something to learn.
BUT
We try to be especially PC, LNT, etc etc, carry the ten essentials, etc with the beginners, while a lot of people seeking information, who are beginners at something, are not babes that need the gentle informative best practices start.

People who are returning may have a great deal of outdoor experience, enough that they are ok on their own, and may be more interested in how we ACTUALLY camp, vs the BS we feed beginners, pardon me.
I wouldn't suggest to beginners that they even try UL for instance, whereas I may suggest to a more experienced BPer that they should really look at their first aid, repair kit, extra stuff, etc and consider leaving most of it at home relying on their experience over heavy equipment.
Jim

#116121 - 05/15/09 10:51 PM Re: Separate beginners and returnees forum? [Re: Jimshaw]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
You make good points, Jim, but don't we all base all our answers on what we think the experience and desires of the OP are? For an extreme example, I certainly wouldn't point someone in the direction of my Minnesota winter gear if he/she were going camping in Florida nor visa versa.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 110 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum