Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#115649 - 05/07/09 11:04 PM Question for AT Hikers
JWE Offline

Loc: Salem OR USA
Which do you prefer. Rain gear top and bottoms with a pack cover or a poncho?

#115664 - 05/08/09 01:47 AM Re: Question for AT Hikers [Re: JWE]
JimmyTH Offline

Loc: Indiana
I prefer a poncho. You can get some protection from the rain but also some ventilation. Sometimes if it rains hard I hunker down someplace and just hole up underneath it for awhile. It at least keeps the rain off. I don't think I've ever had any rain gear that kept me actually dry. The pack doesn't sweat so you can keep that dry either way.

The rainsuit seems like a good choice but I always get just as wet in one as I think I'd get outside one and I just can't stand the trapped feeling. They are warmer, though, or at least the water under them is warmer than the rain outside.

The wind gets under a poncho really easy. I've tried the rainsuits when I'm out sailing, and if you're in a situation like that where you know you'll be battling winds they are a better but still pretty miserable solution. Some sections of the AT are pretty exposed. If wind chill is part of the issue a poncho isn't great. Most places I'd still prefer to get by with a poncho.

Gee, I don't see a comfortable solution for this, just makes me remember some miserable hikes. Always nice when the rain stops.

JimmyTH

#115676 - 05/08/09 11:09 AM Re: Question for AT Hikers [Re: JWE]
jpanderson80 Offline

Loc: Memphis, TN
If it is cold, then a jacket. If it is warm then a poncho or just a pack cover and a good hat. - every part of your body will be wet anyway. As long as its not too cold, several hours in the rain feels good to me. (I'm probably just a weirdo.)

#115682 - 05/08/09 12:12 PM Re: Question for AT Hikers [Re: jpanderson80]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By jpanderson80
If it is cold, then a jacket. If it is warm then a poncho or just a pack cover and a good hat. - every part of your body will be wet anyway. As long as its not too cold, several hours in the rain feels good to me. (I'm probably just a weirdo.)

Well then, you may be a weirdo, but you aren't alone in that thinking. I am a weirdo too. wink wink

Edited by finallyME (05/08/09 12:12 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#115688 - 05/08/09 01:38 PM Re: Question for AT Hikers [Re: JWE]
Bearpaw Offline

Loc: Tennessee
What JPAnderson said. However, I will say I usually have the pack cover even with the poncho. I hang the pack on a tree at night and it's worth the pack cover's weight just to have that extra protection.

In hot weather (just about the whole AT in August), I often hike with ONLY a pack cover. Even a poncho leaves me busting a heavy sweat. On my thru-hike in 1999, a drought year, I hiked from Harper's Ferry to Hanover, NH with no rain gear except a pack cover. I didn't regret it.

#115808 - 05/10/09 09:58 PM Re: Question for AT Hikers [Re: Bearpaw]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods

Ah, one of the proverbial question. In addition to what JP and Bearpaw said here are a couple of additional thoughts.

Depending on the size of the poncho, it can also serve as a small tarp that can be used for shelter (rain or sun) if needed.

Rain jacket and pants can serve as part of your layering system if there is a threat of cold weather.

You can wear your rain jacket and pants in town while you do your laundry.

I made a small pack cover out of a piece of 24in. x 36in. ripstop nylon (could have used silnylon) with a channel sewn around the edge and cord running through it. I use it for several purposes: pack cover if it looks like rain during the day or at night (I'm a hammock hanger so my pack is hung up in the tree), a gear-hammock that strings up beside my regular hammock if there are things I want to keep close, a mat under my hammock for a place to stand while putting on my boots, a place to lay out my gear when packing so I'm sure I don't miss anything. It is probably the most multipurpose item I use (you can see it on this website www.tothewoods.net).

As Bearpaw said, a lot of it depends on the conditions. You can always bounce the gear ahead to one of your resupply points.

Tango

#115915 - 05/13/09 12:57 AM Re: Question for AT Hikers [Re: JWE]
cpetterson Offline

Loc: Alberta
Personally, I would go with either poncho or raingear depending on your preference, but if you go with a jacket, I would substitute a pack cover for a pack liner. With a pack cover the shoulder pads will still get wet and seep through into the pack. If you have a down bag you will also want to put that in it's own bag. I find a heavy duty garbage bag or giant freezer bag will do if you want to save $$. Double up garbage bags for pack liners. With a pack liner though, you will need to watch that you don't put anything you want to keep dry in the exterior pockets especially the lid pockets, unless they are in a freezer bag.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Bear Facts
by balzaccom
05/10/24 10:47 AM
Aramark
by balzaccom
05/10/24 10:46 AM
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 179 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
dellagoss, StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky
13242 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum