Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#115779 - 05/10/09 02:04 PM What is the best all around water filter?
Palmer Offline

Loc: the thumb, michigan
hi, what is the best all around water filter? What will last a long time and not really flimsy, it can also take a good amount of abuse, and reasonably light weight. And also is not too crazy expensive. confused

#115782 - 05/10/09 02:23 PM Re: What is the best all around water filter? [Re: Palmer]
kbennett Offline

Loc: north carolina
I've owned three different filters. The Sweetwater was given away (to somebody I don't like <g>.) The MSR Miniworks is good, and can be field-stripped and cleaned, but it required cleaning after every few liters. The Pur Hiker (now the Katadyn Hiker) is the easiest to use of the three, pumps quickly, and doesn't clog. It's also reasonably light. It's what we use when we go on family hikes.

#115783 - 05/10/09 02:28 PM Re: What is the best all around water filter? [Re: kbennett]
Palmer Offline

thanks a lot. i will look into those smile

#115784 - 05/10/09 02:31 PM Re: What is the best all around water filter? [Re: Palmer]
Knaight Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
I also recommend the Katadyn Hiker. I've used it for a couple of years now with no problems. I've been tempted to get something a bit more lightweight, but this one works so well that I can't justify the purchase of another. And it's not like it's all that heavy anyway.

#115786 - 05/10/09 02:39 PM Re: What is the best all around water filter? [Re: Palmer]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
The Katadyn Hiker pumps more easily and rapidly than most other filters, mainly because it uses a fiberglass and charcoal filter element that needs to be replaced after about 80-100 gallons, depending on how much sediment was in the water you pumped. The replacement filters are not cheap.

Still, it is the one I use. I like it. People with ceramic-element filters sometimes watch me pumping two liters in about four minutes and turn green with envy. I feel their pain.

#115790 - 05/10/09 03:54 PM Re: What is the best all around water filter? [Re: aimless]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I also use the Hiker but when I need to replace the filter am going to look at the ULA gravity filter. It uses a hiker filter in a bag for gravity feed, weighs only 8 oz and costs only a little more than the filter by itself.

#115793 - 05/10/09 04:31 PM Re: What is the best all around water filter? [Re: thecook]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Big fan of the ULA-Equipment "Amigo Pro" gravity filter here. It weighs less than pump filters, and, guess what, no pumping!

#115794 - 05/10/09 04:38 PM Re: What is the best all around water filter? [Re: OregonMouse]
Palmer Offline

thank you to everyone who has helped me. But I made a decision. I went with the Katadyn Hiker Pro. I also bought A LOT of other things. I am now ready to go backpacking. THANKS AGAIN

#115804 - 05/10/09 08:41 PM Re: What is the best all around water filter? [Re: Palmer]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
For what it's worth, that's the same filter used in the ULA Amigo Pro gravity filter. I suspect that with a little ingenuity you could rig up your own gravity filter using the your pump filter!

#115811 - 05/10/09 10:43 PM Re: What is the best all around water filter? [Re: OregonMouse]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Enjoy smile

#115819 - 05/11/09 07:46 AM Re: What is the best all around water filter? [Re: thecook]
chris Offline

Loc: kentucky
Originally Posted By thecook
I also use the Hiker but when I need to replace the filter am going to look at the ULA gravity filter. It uses a hiker filter in a bag for gravity feed, weighs only 8 oz and costs only a little more than the filter by itself.

It's only $10 more than the filter element. I already have the Hiker Pro but I'm going to pick this up to try a gravity filter, even if I don't like it I'll have a backup filter element and just be out $10.

#115879 - 05/12/09 12:29 PM Re: What is the best all around water filter? [Re: Palmer]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
My main problem with all filters is “how do you know it’s working?”
If it cracked, how would you know?

Thus, that’s why I have stuck to First Need. You run blue-dyed water through it. If it comes out clear, it’s still working.

This test fails with all ceramic filters and, so far, every other charcoal filter I’ve tried (like katadyn hiker and hiker pro).

Charcoal filters are supposed to block organic masses/organisms, so the dye test should work.

Also, there are soooo many parts to look after and tubes to be kept separated (for contamination purposes) with the Hiker Pro that it made the First Need soooo much more enjoyable to use. I.e., First Need is extremely simple to use. As an added bonus, First Need will take out the viruses also.

Just more things to think about…

-Barry

#115883 - 05/12/09 02:40 PM Re: What is the best all around water filter? [Re: BarryP]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Well, that's kinda misleading on First Need's part. Charcoal adsorbs organic chemical constituents in water (such as dye) but it has no effect on cysts or bacteria or viruses (unless it's been formed into a mechanical filter element, e.g., by sintering it into a porous block--IIRC Safewater Anywhere used to do this). The charcoal added to typical filter elements that have it is composed of loose granules that you can hear when shaking the filter element. Examples are Katadyn Hiker and MSR Sweetwater. This carbon will reduce organic chemials in water but is unlikely to eliminate them because you need a lot of charcoal and appropriately low flow rates for complete removal of organics. In typical filters, the job of removing biological constituents goes to the filter fabric, ceramic element, or other physical filter media such as the hollow fiber filters. And this is where the dye test cannot demonstrate filter failure. It simply isn't a valid test of filters not designed for 100% organics removal, which includes the majority of backpacking filters because dye isn't a substitute for sub-micron particles (as an analogue for bacteria).

I confess I have no idea what's inside a First Need cartridge or how it supposedly works. Has anybody cut one open to see what's inside? It would probably be a good choice for anyone suspecting pesticide contamination in water.

Cheers,

Rick

p.s. MSR has a simple vacuum test for the HyperFlow that can demonstrate the cartridge's condition in the field. It's a nice verification from a peace-of-mind standpoint. They've also corrected the flow issues that plagued it the first year.

Originally Posted By BarryP
My main problem with all filters is “how do you know it’s working?”
If it cracked, how would you know?

Thus, that’s why I have stuck to First Need. You run blue-dyed water through it. If it comes out clear, it’s still working.

This test fails with all ceramic filters and, so far, every other charcoal filter I’ve tried (like katadyn hiker and hiker pro).

Charcoal filters are supposed to block organic masses/organisms, so the dye test should work.

Also, there are soooo many parts to look after and tubes to be kept separated (for contamination purposes) with the Hiker Pro that it made the First Need soooo much more enjoyable to use. I.e., First Need is extremely simple to use. As an added bonus, First Need will take out the viruses also.

Just more things to think about…

-Barry

#115891 - 05/12/09 03:59 PM Re: What is the best all around water filter? [Re: BarryP]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By BarryP

My Hiker Pro has fewer parts to bother with than the other pump filters I looked at; clean tube and connectors go in a ziploc, the filter and the dirty tube/prefilter are all that's left over. The only filter I've seen that's simpler is my ULA gravity filter. The First Need looks pretty much exactly the same - a plastic filter body, hoses, and connectors. And the Pro is lighter, too. Since I'm not in danger of viruses and the Pro is cheaper....

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#115961 - 05/13/09 02:10 PM Re: What is the best all around water filter? [Re: Rick_D]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
Rick,
You have some excellent science in your reply.
I can’t find it but someone has cut open a First Need Cartridge. It looked like something like volcanic ash; completely homogeneous. Thus if it did crack, it will let dye through and probably everything else. It appears to be an elegant concept. 25+ years of experience sounds like it is one of the few models that have withstood the test of time.

It was nice for First Need to publish unbiased studies of their product. I can’t find studies on MSR’s sight.

I’ve been using First Need for about 6 years. Last Feb was the first time I caught a cartridge that let the blue through. It so happened, it went below freezing that night. We were snowed on. If I was paying attention, I would have brought the filter into my sleeping bag.

The hyperflow has a good idea to see if it’s cracked. What I read last year (and maybe it has changed) is to see if bubbles come up. However, in practice, it seems all filters let out a few bubbles under water. Thus how would you differentiate the OK bubbles from the oh-no-the-filter-cracked bubbles? Also, it seems like several hollow fiber tubes have to crack before the naked eye can start discerning bubbles.

-Barry

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
1 registered (), 202 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum