Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#111407 - 02/17/09 12:56 PM Light Packs (without character assassination)
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
In the now-infamous ultralight pack thread, I said I was contemplating adding the Osprey Exos 58 to my gear pile. I pulled the trigger yesterday (keeping alive my string of never advancing beyond Step 3 of my 12-Step Plan.)

Anyhow, among other first impressions:

1) Between the main pack and the shove-it pocket are two side-by-side, vertical zipper-access pockets (drastically scaled down versions of the old Dana Terraplane pockets.) I found they are perfectly sized to put my solo tent fly and poles in one side, and inner tent in the other - freeing up considerable space inside the pack, and saving a few ounces in stuff sacks. It also separates a potentially very wet fly from a not-so-wet inner tent.

2) I'm not sure this really qualifies as an internal-frame pack. There's no frame sheet that I can find, and the frame is very light, thin aluminum tubes that form a rectangle, with a mesh panel stretched drum-tight across the back. Except for diameters, and the fact that this frame flexes, it impresses me as being an external-frame design. And you know what? That's fine! From my limited opportunity so far to load it and carry it around (with about 20 pounds), it seems to combine the best features of both internal and external design: the frame flexes with you, the frame more or less conforms to the shape of your back, yet it holds the bag itself away from your back, and supports a reasonably heavy load (relative to the small diameter of the tubing used for the frame.)

3) I think I'm going to like the unstiffened hip belt. Yes, it will be a limiting factor in terms of weight transfer. But, it's broad and can be snugged down without undulty restricting hip movement. I had a similar belt on an Arcteryx Khamsin 38 a number of years ago and found that, contrary to the apparent flimsiness, it really worked very well on the 25 pound load I was carrying then.

4) Given the light-duty hipbelt and shoulder straps, I'm a little skeptical of the Osprey claims of a 35 pound load being in the "comfortable" range - my uninformed guess would put it at 30. However, I am basing this clearly on having no hard facts whatsoever to back me up, and I am very willing to be proven wrong.

5) This pack has lots of bells and whistles (including Osprey's signature whistle on the sternum strap buckle.) I suspect that, if I were to take knife and scissors to it, I could easily cut off 4 to 8 ounces of unnecessary straps, toggles, cords, and other gee-whiz features. I probably won't (in the past, I haven't needed a feature until just after I cut it off.) However, I may make use of the option to remove the lid when I'm not carrying a very large load - that should save 8 ounces or more.

This is clearly a lightweight pack for lightweight loads, and performance may degrade quickly when loads exceed 30 pounds. Within those parameters (which I fit), it seems to have the potential to be a really good pack. I haven't had a chance to load it up and take a walk outdoors yet, but from what I've seen so far, this pack may become my first choice for trips of up to 4 days (where my loads typically don't exceed 25 pounds and are sometimes below 20 in hot weather.)

Anyone else have one of these? It's a new release, so any first impressions on this pack would be very informative to me - particularly if you've actually had it on a trip. (I'll find out if theory gets within shouting distance of practice weekend after next, when I've scheduled an inaugural trip for the pack.)

Edited by Glenn (02/17/09 03:57 PM)

#111415 - 02/17/09 02:06 PM Re: Light Packs (without character assassination) [Re: Glenn]
bigfoot2 Offline

Loc: Eugene , Oregon

#111422 - 02/17/09 02:58 PM Re: Light Packs (without character assassination) [Re: bigfoot2]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Actually, the pack I bought and was discussing is the Exos. blush

I don't know why I didn't catch that when I proofread the post - I suppose I should remember to get checked for Alzheimer's, huh?

Thanks for helping me catch it - I've corrected the original post.

#111424 - 02/17/09 03:38 PM Re: Light Packs (without character assassination) [Re: Glenn]
bigfoot2 Offline

Loc: Eugene , Oregon
In that case...looks like a nice pack! Let us know how it does for you.

BF cool

#111440 - 02/17/09 09:54 PM Re: Light Packs (without character assassination) [Re: bigfoot2]
skinewmexico Offline

I've had one in the garage for about 7 weeks, but I haven't used it yet. This weekend though. The only issue I see with it is the size, I bet the Exos 46 would have worked fine for me.

#111453 - 02/18/09 12:19 PM Re: Light Packs (without character assassination) [Re: Glenn]
alanwenker Offline

Originally Posted By Glenn

3) I think I'm going to like the unstiffened hip belt. Yes, it will be a limiting factor in terms of weight transfer. But, it's broad and can be snugged down without undulty restricting hip movement. I had a similar belt on an Arcteryx Khamsin 38 a number of years ago and found that, contrary to the apparent flimsiness, it really worked very well on the 25 pound load I was carrying then.

I recall reading a backpack review piece in Backpacker Magazine some years ago and one part which stood out was hip belt comfort. There were pictures of two hip belts, one was overly padded and stiff and the other was thinner and not stiffened. The point was not getting over sold on burly hip belts as the thin belt was just as comfortable. This may not be true on 60+ pound loads, but for lighter loads less may be more.

#111456 - 02/18/09 01:11 PM Re: Light Packs (without character assassination) [Re: alanwenker]
DJ2 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I've made and purchased dozens of hip belts and agree with what your are saying here.

My current favorite belt is a stiff nylon mesh and works great. It only weighs an ounce or two. I made it out of a military hat stiffner. The fabric is sort of like leno mesh dipped in plastic.

The fabric for the belt can be quite light and padding is not required. The fabric does have to be stiff enough so it doesn't fold or roll in on itself when force is applied, however. Otherwise the belt can go from being a flat piece of webbing to a rolled up cord like belt very quickly.

I used to get a rash like effect under belts padded with closed cell foam. With the padless mesh this doesn't happen.

I have a Jan Sport pack with a heavy duty looking padded waist belt. Looks great in the store but it is so ill fitting that it provides very little solid contact with my body. Fit is everything.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 263 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum