Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#111247 - 02/14/09 03:00 AM Bigfoot's Bright Idea.
bigfoot2 Offline

Loc: Eugene , Oregon
How many members out there that hike with four legged companions would be interested in an ultra-lite (10 oz. for a large dog--70 lbs.) dog quilt specifically designed for backpacking? Made of sil-nylon and Climashield Combat. I found a (unique)way to solve the "lop-sidedness" of packing it in the dog pack, too! I just want a general show of hands to see if it's worth producing for members. Sources for labor and materials are all set to go, but if there is no demand, i won't pursue it. Details and pictures will follow if there is enough interest.

BF cool

Edited by bigfoot2 (02/14/09 03:37 AM)

#111305 - 02/15/09 01:05 AM Re: Bigfoot's Bright Idea. [Re: bigfoot2]
Howie Offline

Loc: Canora, SK, Canada
I would be interested in the pattern. My wife is very handy at making this kind of stuff. My puppie actually wont be ready for it for a while, but I want to prepare ahead of time. Thank you for sharing with us bigfoot2.

Howie

#111359 - 02/16/09 11:09 AM Re: Bigfoot's Bright Idea. [Re: Howie]
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey
I will be getting a dog soon, just in that stage of finding the right one/scrounging cash up for one...but when I do I will be considering a dog pack.

#111363 - 02/16/09 12:35 PM Re: Bigfoot's Bright Idea. [Re: bigfoot2]
Paddy_Crow Offline

Loc: Michigan
I would be interested.

I have the Uhlr gear sleeping bag for my dog, it works very well because the velcro strips keep him from wiggling out of it during the night. My concern with a quilt would be that he could do just that. I will remain open minded until I see the design...

#111380 - 02/16/09 10:31 PM Re: Bigfoot's Bright Idea. [Re: Paddy_Crow]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Not for mine; a thin sweater (actually an old polypro base layer top of mine, cut and sewn to fit) keeps him warm well below freezing. If it's above freezing, his double fur coat keeps him plenty warm enough.

I would think that for less hairy dogs than mine, a jacket would be better than a quilt--he won't knock it off when he stirs in the night and then turns around three times before lying down again. Plus it can be used in the daytime if needed.

#111385 - 02/16/09 11:45 PM Re: Bigfoot's Bright Idea. [Re: OregonMouse]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
OM:

"a jacket would be better than a quilt--he won't knock it off when he stirs in the night and then turns around three times before lying down again. Plus it can be used in the daytime if needed."

Can I get it in a human "M?"

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#111392 - 02/17/09 08:53 AM Re: Bigfoot's Bright Idea. [Re: OregonMouse]
Paddy_Crow Offline

Loc: Michigan
My dog does really well in the Uhlr gear sleeping bag. He tends to burrow into it.

I've found that he doesn't really need much while he's on the move, but he definitely needs to be covered at night. As you can see, he does not have much of a coat...

#111398 - 02/17/09 11:26 AM Re: Bigfoot's Bright Idea. [Re: GDeadphans]
Fiddleback Offline

Loc: Northern Rockies
Keep in mind that dogs shouldn't be carrying pack weight until they are well past a year old, perhaps until they're close to two. And then the pack shouldn't exceed 15-20% of the dog's weight.

FB

#111408 - 02/17/09 01:19 PM Re: Bigfoot's Bright Idea. [Re: OregonMouse]
sabre11004 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I take my Beagle "Oreo" with me on a lot of trips in the back country and have really developed an intimate relationship with her. She carries a quilt in her little pack and I have watched her at night moving around inside the tent to try and get comfortable. Many times she has shed this quilt in all her moving around but I have learned that she can get it back on top of her just as fast as she can shake it off. It's actually amazing that she can do this so easily. This thing is only a few ounces and it has become very obvious to me that she does want to be under it because she continuously "gets back under it" while she is in the tent. Something else that I have noticed with her is that at home she will sleep for hours in the morning, but on the trail as soon as I move she is ready to get on with it. I think that being out in the woods actually excites her to the point that she shows it. When we do get ready to start walking, she starts to get all excited like she knows exactly what is going on. She's is older now and does not move as well as she used to, but take her in the back country and she seems revived. Sort of the same thing that it does to me I guess. Isn't that why we go into the back country????Hope this encourages every one to take their dog if the dog wants to go and I think that they do want to go...sabre110044...

The first step that you take will be one of those that get you there !!!!!!!!! awesome

#111414 - 02/17/09 02:02 PM Re: Bigfoot's Bright Idea. [Re: bigfoot2]
bigfoot2 Offline

I have Wednesday off and will work on getting pictures of the quilt up. It has a full length zipper directly up the middle with a full draft tube, that evenly splits the quilt for packing. No way to pack the quilt unevenly smile It also has a drawstring at each end to cinch the quilt around the dog in cooler weather. Two snaps at each end also secure it around the dog if they are "movers" at night (kind of like a jacket or cape). I am toying with a velcro attatchment at the corners (this assumes the dog would be using a small foam sleeping pad), but have not settled on just how, yet.

BF cool

#111580 - 02/20/09 02:49 PM Re: Bigfoot's Bright Idea. [Re: bigfoot2]
bigfoot2 Offline

As promised (a little late), here are the photos of my ground-breaking laugh new dog quilt:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31164103@N05/show/

BF cool

Edited by bigfoot2 (02/20/09 03:37 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 371 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum