Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#103738 - 09/24/08 02:42 PM Sleeping Mats
HikerMatt Offline

Loc: Michigan
I've been scouring the boards here trying to see if anyone else uses the same "sleeping pad" method as I do and I didn't see anything that caught my attention.

I really don't like the extra weight of the sleeping pad, even though I know that it does help to keep you warm from the cold coming up from the ground. I have been using the silver emergancy blankets under my sleeping bag to keep me warm from the cold and also keep my sleeping bag clean from dirt.

Does anyone else use this method at all? I know it doesn't give much comfort, but I would rather sleep on the hardwood floors in my house sometimes rather than my pillowtop matress.

#103739 - 09/25/08 07:46 AM Re: Sleeping Mats [Re: HikerMatt]
Heber Offline

Loc: St. Louis, Missouri
I've used this method when I was a kid. Back then I didn't seem to need much cushion between me and the ground. Now that I'm older I need a lot!

But a pad provides more than comfort. It should keep you from getting cold at night. You really need something like a CCF pad between you and the ground when the ground gets cold. Perhaps some of the engineers/physicists can correct me if I'm wrong here (I'm an economist, not an engineer) but the reflective coating on the emergency blanket only works to reflect back (some of) the heat you are losing by radiation. But this is a very minor thing compared to the other potential sources of heat loss. Your sleeping bag reduces the heat loss do to convection (circulating cold air). But when sleeping on the cold ground a huge (and perhaps the major) source of heat loss is by conduction, i.e. the heat loss you feel when touching a cold object. This is where a substantial pad becomes important.

Go ahead and use the emergency blanket in mild weather. But get a pad for the months ahead.

#103740 - 09/25/08 09:09 AM Re: Sleeping Mats [Re: Heber]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
You are right on Heber. Conduction is the major heat loss when laying on a huge heat sink like the ground. A CCF pad weighs very little and costs little as well.

#103741 - 09/25/08 09:24 AM Re: Sleeping Mats [Re: HikerMatt]
Wolfeye Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
You sound like you might be happy trying a thin sleeping pad, one that is meant to add warmth rather than cushioning. The only ones I know about are made by Gossamer Gear. (link)

I prefer closed cell pads to inflatables; you can trim them to fit, and they can double as back padding inside a pack. Just let the pad unroll inside the pack & stuff your gear in the middle, or fold it up like an accordian. Many ultralight packs don't come with back padding for this reason. I find it works best with torso-length pads, or thin ones.

#103742 - 09/26/08 06:25 AM Re: Sleeping Mats [Re: finallyME]
motorbikegeek Offline

I like my thermorest roll-up pad. It's the short one, only goes from my head to the back of my knees, but that's plenty. It's surprisingly comfertable for how thin it is, and it's not too expensive. Best piece of gear I've bought so far. I wrap it up with my sleeping bag for easy storage. It does tend to slip around a bit, some suggestions to prevent this I haven't tried are velcroing it the tent floor, putting a shelf liner between it and the tent floor and even adding dots of silcon caulk to the tent floor!

Some of my fellow hikers are larger men, at least one is a bit overweight. (I'm 5'8'', 140 lbs) These men tell me that the thin thermorest pads aren't sufficent enough padding for them, as their weight compresses the pad to the point where they feel like they're laying directly on the ground. These men use the inflatable kind and are quite happy with them I believe. One however did tell me his inflatable has a slow leak now and by the middle of the night he wakes up to find he's on the ground again.

As much as I love my thermorest, I think I might be upgrading to an inflatable soon (at least for the colder months of for whenever I get to a trip longer than a few days).

#103743 - 09/26/08 10:26 AM Re: Sleeping Mats [Re: HikerMatt]
HikerMatt Offline

While I do know the benefits that a sleeping pad (inflatable or not) does offer against the cold, I normally don't go out much past October or any earlier than April, so the ground temperature doesn't worry me to much. I don't really use the blanket for anything more than keeping my sleeping bag clean, because I don't use a tent when I camp. I have a lightweight tarp that I either string up with my hiking poles and some stakes and parachute cord, or tie up with the parachute cord between fallen tree branches.

Aside from that, I sleep warm, as my wife tells me, I have an overabundance of body heat generation capabilities, and once I'm alseep, nothing aside from an alarm clock can wake me up. I'm sure things will change in time and then I will investigate picking up a sleeping pad, but for now, I'd prefer to keep the extra weight off my pack since my pack is heavier than what I want it to be and I can't get a new one for another year or so.

#103744 - 09/29/08 01:19 PM Re: Sleeping Mats [Re: HikerMatt]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
“I have been using the silver emergancy blankets under my sleeping bag to keep me warm from the cold and also keep my sleeping bag clean from dirt.”

And

“I don't really use the blanket for anything more than keeping my sleeping bag clean”

This is ironic since these metalized polyester emergency blankets start flaking after a few nights. Then you have these hard-to-get-rid-of flakes all over your bag (and other items).

It’s great you don’t need a pad to sleep soundly. You’re lucky.

-Barry

#103745 - 09/29/08 04:54 PM Re: Sleeping Mats [Re: BarryP]
HikerMatt Offline

Quote:
“I have been using the silver emergancy blankets under my sleeping bag to keep me warm from the cold and also keep my sleeping bag clean from dirt.”

And

“I don't really use the blanket for anything more than keeping my sleeping bag clean”

This is ironic since these metalized polyester emergency blankets start flaking after a few nights. Then you have these hard-to-get-rid-of flakes all over your bag (and other items).

It’s great you don’t need a pad to sleep soundly. You’re lucky.

-Barry

Very interesting...I've been using the same one all season and haven't had any "flaking" issues at all...other than some dirt that got stuck on it, it's been very reliable...might help that I didn't buy the cheap @$$ ones that cost 97 cents. I actually spent about 8 bucks on this one to make sure it lasted. I did however pick myself up a cheap blue pad to put under the blanket.

#103746 - 09/30/08 12:19 PM Re: Sleeping Mats [Re: HikerMatt]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
“…haven't had any "flaking" issues at all…”
“I actually spent about 8 bucks on this one to make sure it lasted”

This sounds nice. By chance, do you have an internet site of this product?
Thanx,
-Barry

#103747 - 09/30/08 08:06 PM Re: Sleeping Mats [Re: BarryP]
HikerMatt Offline

Unfortunately I got it at a local store, but it is similar to the one Coleman makes...
http://yhst-8743696515742.stores.yahoo.net/coembl.html

Hoping to get at least one more season out of it. It's getting a bit of wear from the folding and unfolding.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 371 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum