Hi everyone,

I’m relatively new to lighter-weight backpacking, but as I look into next summer and the longer trips I’m planning, I’m realizing that I really need to figure out how to reduce my pack weight. To that end, I’m considering buying a canister stove. Can you help me with a couple questions?

These questions are with reference to the following trip: 3 people, summer, approx 10 days in the Sierra, camp altitudes between 7,000’ and 11,000’.

1. Is 3 people too much to ask from a MSR pocketrocket or microrocket?
2. How much fuel should I be planning? Here is our basic cooking strategy:

a. Breakfasts: 5 cold, 5 hot (oatmeal, probably 4 cups of water x 5 days). Will need hot water each morning for 2 people (4 cups of water x 10 days)
b. Lunch: cold
c. Dinner: All boil and re-hydrate meals. I sometimes like to give it a couple of minutes of simmer. Each meal will require about 5 cups of boiling water (total)

I calculate that to be approximately the water boiling equivalent of 110 cups of water plus miscellaneous simmer/other time.

The microrocket is rated as boiling 16 litres per 8oz canister (67.5 cups). Does that mean I’d be okay with 2 x 8oz cannisters? The math appears to work (I think), but it just seems light for 3 people and a 10 day trip.

Appreciate your thoughts and real world experience!!