Hello! I've been an avid hiker/camper since I was about ten, and took up kayaking while in college. But I have never been backpacking, and want to give it a shot. Unfortunately, I don't know ANYONE who does this sort of thing regularly (Which is unbelievable, since I live in NC - where there are a million places to go!). Anyway, I thought I would start with a short, overnight backpacking trip in one of the state parks or something, then move on to something longer and more strenuous. (Eventually, I would like to spend a week or two hiking part of the Appalachian Trail, but that's a long way off.)
So anyway, two very broad questions for anyone interested in answering: First of all, any tips for picking out a backpack? I've done some research, but there are a lot of conflicting opinions out there for what is best. I tried on this one today:http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/equipment-technical-packs/womens-terra-55-pack.html and so far it's my favorite. I have a small frame (5'4", 115 pounds) and it seems to fit well, and is narrow enough that I can actually move my arms. But I'm hesitant to shell out the money for it yet, until I get the opinion of people who have done this before.
Second question: Aside from the usual, food, tent, sleeping bag, bug spray, first aid kit, etc, what should I take with me? I don't want to overload myself, but I also don't want to overlook a necessity.
THanks in advance for your help!