I'd like to use this thread to discuss some troublesome moments that have been encountered and how they were dealt with. I'd also like to hear alternative solutions.

I'll start this off with one I went through this week. I told people we were going to have a relaxed pace hike, so they should feel free to stop, take in the scenery, flora and vistas; don't feel rushed. Well, I had a fellow that came out to take pictures. I don't mean a few. I don't mean hundreds. I mean thousands. He had five different cameras, cases, accessories all strapped to his body.

It was a small group of eight, quite manageable, so I thought. I took to the rear and patiently waited while he took photos. After about ten of these multi-minute stops, I was losing patience. It wasn't fair to the group to have to wait for him. Even the slowest of slow hikers greatly outdistanced him. It would be one thing if he couldn't hike faster (stamina, injury or unforeseen circumstances.) Here was someone who demonstrably could keep up the pace, but decided not to. That's a problem.

I politely told him we needed to move along. He took his finger off the camera trigger and moved along. That was good for about 15 minutes, then he started to stop again. I encourage him again.

I'd had enough. It would be midnight to the destination at this rate. So I did what I once did to my dog. I told the group to move ahead. I continued to move ahead keeping my eye on him while he was clicking away. I then gained enough distance that he could not see me. After about five minutes, this fellow is running up the trail! I then stepped out in front of him,said not a word and quickened the pace mach schnell to rejoin the group. I did this three times before he got in the groove.

He did take good photos!

What would you have done? Got any good stories?

Edited by Bill Tarkuli (08/27/13 05:42 PM)