Hi,
I'm looking for some advice on backpacks. I am an avid outdoorsman, and have been on countless hiking trips. I tend to go for 3-5 days and an average trip for me is 40 miles. My wife decided she wants to come with me on my next hiking trip, and I feel its time to upgrade my pack. I normally carry a 65L pack totalling about 40-45lbs depending on duration of my trip. Im 6'2 and 240lbs, my wife is vietnamese and she is only 4'10 and 105lbs. Because she is so small, and this is her first hiking trip, I want to carry most-(if not)- all the gear. I will be carrying a 2 person hilleberg tent, 2 12in/7in around sleeping bags, food for both of us for 4 days, and all the normal gear (med kit, hatchet, compact spade, bathroom stuff, mess kit, etc. When I hike solo or pack solo, I am a minimalist. I find my 65l pack very spacious with enouph room for all my gear plus my camera and lenses. Is a 90L pack to big. I already did a test fitting, and I can NOT fit everything into my 65L pack. Im thinking 80+ but not sure. Would i be better of with a tight 75-80l (no accesories), or a 90L and bring a tad bit extra for her? I'm thinking once she experiences the outdoors, she will be bagging to go again! So buying a pack that I can use for longterm is importent. I might also be doing some long hikes in Europe next year (10 days+). Basically I want a pack that's big enouph for long hikes, as well as short 3-4 day hikes, but packed for 2 people. My budget for the bag would be $150-300 however a bit more or less wouldn't be a big deal as long as quality is there. I've been researching myself and am considering the 90l high sierra long trail, and the kelty Lakota 85l. Both have large capacity, high user ratings, and are budget friendly.

Edited by mason (08/22/13 08:20 PM)