The thread about SAR gear made me think about hiking style. I have friends that demand “done in a day” activity. They are willing to leave at Oh dark thirty so they can get home about the time Leno starts his monologue. I prefer to leave mid morning, have a nice night in camp and get home mid afternoon the next day. I suspect the “done in the day” people have various reasons. Maybe it is they do not sleep well in the backcountry, maybe they do not like camp chores, maybe they do not like the time away from family, maybe they do not like camp food. I think dusk and dawn in the backcountry are magical times. The shadows add dept to the scenery and the colors are more vibrant. I try to find reasons to spent more nights in the backcountry.

I do not like the long nights of winter camping, but I try to do a full moon trip each year.

Locally I prefer two night trips. Only use one day of vacation time. Two nights makes the drive seem more worthwhile. I can use a virtual frame pack with only two nights food.

Out of town I prefer four to six night trips. I generally hike a frame pack and maybe even the “beast hauler” if I need to carry a lot of water. I do not like carrying more than six nights of food. The trip can usually be done using a week of vacation time.

What is your style?

Why?

How does that change your gear choices?