My recent trip (see trip reports) was in an area heavily used by horses and even a grazing allotment. The trails were really pounded to dust. The several inches of fine powder of dirt and horse poop comibned played havoc with my allergies! Nevertheless, I do think horsemen have a right to have available wilderness areas too. I really do not know what is the appropriate level of use, but it seemed to me that it was exceeded. Commercial packers were making 2-3 trips a day on one trail.

I knew that some of the trails I would be on are used by horses, so it was not a surprise to me. Walking on those trails was not pleasent but I knew what I was getting into. I pity the backpackers who encounter this without prior knowledge. After the first day I had plenty of options to go off-trail or use trails less used by horses.

Probably the larger issue of damage was to water quality. Camps were loaded with horse manure and the runoff obviously overloaded the lakes and streams with nitrate leading to excessive algae. It seemed a bit rediculous as I dug my little 6" hole for my tiny little turd!

So I have mixed feelings. I am not against horsemen per se, but if resource protection is important, something is not right here.

How do you all feel?