Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#180294 - 10/18/13 07:12 PM How NOT to be a good Scout leader
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I assume you have all seen this:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/10/...-to-save-lives/

I have only one question: Are we allowed to use profanity on this forum?

At the very least, it appears obvious that these guys' parents were never married.

#180296 - 10/18/13 07:52 PM Re: How NOT to be a good Scout leader [Re: Glenn Roberts]
enthusiast Offline

Loc: Auglaize CO., OH
I believe this is being displayed on msn.com now. Sure to get attention there

#180297 - 10/18/13 08:58 PM Re: How NOT to be a good Scout leader [Re: Glenn Roberts]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Are we allowed to use profanity on this forum?

Simple answer: no.

You can have any opinion under the sun, but like carry-on luggage, your chosen mode of expressing it must fit into the small box conveniently located near the ticket counter, and certain prohibited expressions may be confiscated before boarding. grin

#180298 - 10/18/13 09:27 PM Re: How NOT to be a good Scout leader [Re: aimless]
Glenn Roberts Offline

I know; it was more the expression of an opinion about the vandals than a question. smile

There are a huge number of dedicated, decent Scout leaders who teach their boys appropriate outdoor ethics. Then these louts come along and give every one of the good leaders a bad name.

This is even worse than Mark Sanford making a joke out of hiking the Appalachian Trail. That was humorous, and no one believed it from the start; he came off as a buffoon.

This, there is no way to justify. These are a bunch of musclebound oafs, 15 years past their glory days in high school, trying to feel big by ruining a thing of beauty (and, when it finally sunk in what they did, deciding that "Uh, oh, yeah, um, WE DID IT TO PROTECT THE CHILDREN! We're really HEROES! And we're on TV!"

Disgusting.

#180299 - 10/18/13 11:00 PM Re: How NOT to be a good Scout leader [Re: Glenn Roberts]
jimmyb Offline

I certainly hope they have much more to worry about in the eyes of the authorities than simply loosing their ability to continue as Scout leaders, as if somehow the Scouts think they would ever again be appropriate role models or leaders in any manner what so ever.

This is personally VERY upsetting to me as a part owner in the greatest of National monuments IMHO, the NP properties. We have and will continue to visit these incredible places of beauty with the utmost respect for their simple yet grandeur existence. The same should hold true for State owned parks and properties alike.

I may be a little tough love and from an older school than some but I would have no less than a lifetime ban from All the parks and some time to reflect in 'Club Fed' to more or less teach those who are equally as ignorant of good behavior that duplicating an act like this would cost them dearly.

Geez, the whole reason I have for going to these places is to get away from idiots like these people.

My apologies, if necessary, to the board.

jimmyb

Edited by jimmyb (10/18/13 11:26 PM)

#180305 - 10/19/13 02:15 PM Re: How NOT to be a good Scout leader [Re: Glenn Roberts]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Wow, that's one for the record books there.

"musclebound oafs, 15 years past their glory days in high school" sums up perfectly what they are without any profanity, but I can't help but add a few choice words to the phrase when I think of it.

It's silly that they all feel like they actually did something that was impressive, as if it were a feat of strength. At some point a grasshopper could have landed on that rock and did the same thing, and that point was not far off in the grand scheme of things, possibly only one good thunderstorm away.

Honestly, I can't count how many times I've pissed guys like this off by telling them that what they wanted to do was stupid. Most of the time they've listened to me and didn't do what they were planning. More than a few times I've showed up after the fact and told them why they were stupid, but it mattered little, either way they always thought I was a "supreme buzz kill".

"You want to go where?"

#180307 - 10/19/13 06:03 PM Re: How NOT to be a good Scout leader [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
Life without a brain! They share this with microbes and many vegetables as well as coral and jellyfish. It is an undeserved black eye for scouting.

Edited by Pika (10/19/13 06:06 PM)

#180314 - 10/20/13 09:37 AM Re: How NOT to be a good Scout leader [Re: Pika]
jimmyb Offline

laugh Rarely do jackass' like this come without a history. Here is a blast from the past that may just bite him in the...

http://www.kutv.com/news/top-stories/stories/vid_7578.shtml

#180315 - 10/20/13 10:13 AM Re: How NOT to be a good Scout leader [Re: jimmyb]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Karma is a demanding mistress (or words to that effect.)

#180328 - 10/21/13 08:40 AM Re: How NOT to be a good Scout leader [Re: jimmyb]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
What an outstanding gentlemen and fine citizen. *rolleyes*

#180379 - 10/25/13 08:57 PM Re: How NOT to be a good Scout leader [Re: ETSU Pride]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
They should have known better. LNT is part of the curriculum - starting with the first grade Tiger Scouts. Saying "I didn't know" doesn't cut it.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Bear Facts
by balzaccom
05/10/24 10:47 AM
Aramark
by balzaccom
05/10/24 10:46 AM
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 196 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
dellagoss, StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky
13242 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum