Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#180069 - 10/04/13 09:13 AM Hikers vs. Reality
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
It was mid-afternoon. We were on the last leg of our hike out of the backcountry, and only about a mile from our car. It had been a great hike, and we were now looking forward to taking off our packs, a nice drive home, hot showers, and a dinner that didn't involved freeze-dried anything.

The weather was perfect for late September, sunny but not warm.

The first couple was young and sportif, wearing only shorts and t-shirts, and they moved briskly up the trail towards us.

"Hi there," I greeted them. "Where are you headed?"

"We are going to the lakes!" the young man replied, with enthusiasm and a French accent.

"Ah!" I gave this some thought. The nearest lake was at least five miles further along the trail. "You realize that they are about five miles--eight kilometers--from here?"

The young man nodded. "About forty minutes?" he asked.

I considered this. "No, closer to two or three hours" I explained.

"OK. Thanks!" he continued up the trail. His girlfriend looked at me.

They were not carrying even a daypack, and I didn't see any bottles. "Do you have any water?" I asked. There was no real source of water for a few miles. We had very little in our packs.

"No, it's OK" he called back over his shoulder.

I looked at the girlfriend. She looked at me. "Maybe we stop before the lakes." she said.

I nodded and watched them hurry up the trail.

A hundred yards later we met an older couple, almost as old as us. Now I was really curious, and I asked them the same question. "Where are you headed."

"Up the traill," the husband replied as he panted uphill past me.

His wife looked at me and asked me how far the lakes were. I told her. "Well, we'll just see how far we get," she said. They each had a daypack, and I asked them if they had water. "Oh yeah, we have lots of water," she replied.

"Good," I thought. "You might want to share some of it with the nice young couple ahead of you."

A half-mile from the trailhead we met the last couple: two young men sitting on a couple of rocks and resting. When then heard me coming down the trail, the first young man turned around quickly and said,. "Oh, good. You're not a bear."

"Nope," I assured him, I was not a bear.

"How much further is it to the lakes?" he asked. He and his partner had a full complement of cameras, tripods and other paraphernalia.

"About five or six miles," I said.

He looked at his watch. I looked at mine. "We left our camp there about three hours ago," I explained. "So that would be about six hours, round trip."

He nodded. He looked at his watch again.

"That means you would get back here about 7 o'clock," I explained. IT would be close to dark by then.

"I guess we better get moving," his partner chimed in. He didn't get up off the rock that he occupied.

"Well, maybe you hike faster than we do," I offered.

They both nodded.

"Then again," I thought,"We didn't stop in the first half mile from the trailhead when we did this hike, and we were carrying full packs."

I wonder how far each group hiked...

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#180070 - 10/04/13 09:50 AM Re: Hikers vs. Reality [Re: balzaccom]
lori Offline

I think you might have found tourists. smile

That happens a lot - we were at the Ostrander trailhead - a carload of folks rolled up, the guy looks at the sign from the driver's seat, then says "how far to the lake?" I gave him the same answer the sign did, and off they drove.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#180072 - 10/04/13 10:46 AM Re: Hikers vs. Reality [Re: balzaccom]
jimmyb Offline

Yes, we run into this all the time day hiking. The wife and I are big wildlife lovers and this is a big part of our enjoyment in the wilderness areas. When visiting places like Yellowstone, Glacier ect. we see it all. Hiking in flip flops, no water on board, no rain gear, and hiking quiet as a mouse without bear spray in some notorious grizzly country. The tourist types eye us up and down and we have been snickered at by numerous folks for simply being prepared.

When we first started hiking out West I almost started questioning myself, am I carrying too much for a day hike? Do I need this rain gear? Do I carry too much water? Well after getting hammered by a few incredibly nasty COLD thunderstorms and hiking a few bone dry trails in some oppressive heat I don't think about it so much now. I do however think about how my lesser prepared trail mates are making out. frown

We do find the more miles we put on from the trail head the better prepared folks are.

jimmyb

Edited by jimmyb (10/04/13 10:58 AM)

#180073 - 10/04/13 03:10 PM Re: Hikers vs. Reality [Re: balzaccom]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Heh, quite a cross-section in a scant few miles.

Once spent a few spring days in Estes Park, from where we did a few day hikes into RMNP, and the array of walkin' tourists was always a source of amusement. The lingering snowpack was a good barrier to folks getting themselves too far into the soup, but there were still plenty of jarring sights--none better than the Texan couple wearing reeeeally fancy cowboy boots and hats and best of all—long fur coats.

Y'all have fun pettin' those elk now, hear?

There's a reason they call the Colorado Rockies the "Texas Alps."

Cheers,

#180077 - 10/04/13 08:26 PM Re: Hikers vs. Reality [Re: Rick_D]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Given how many stories I see here and on other websites, I'm surprised more people don't disappear or die from exposure. I have read posts on VFTT (Views from the Top, a NE site) about hikers who come across unprepared tourists in winter on a regular basis. Some do wind up needing to be rescued.

Hikers get rescued fairly often in the local (San Gabriel) mountains because they have no water, no light, no skills and no clue as to where they are going.

I remember doing a day hike near Idylwild (up above Palm Springs) and getting caught out as it was getting dark without a light. We weren't that far from the car, but I haven't done that again.

Winter hiking is a whole other story, but I don't go day hiking in winter (on snow) without enough gear (clothes, bag, stove, food and of course, my shovel) to bivy overnight. Depending on where I am, I'd probably take my snowshoes as well, just in case. When I was in Yosemite up around Badger Pass, if I planned to be out of site of my tent for the day, I took my day hike gear with me.

One more thing-a lot of people could save themselves a lot of grief if they just checked the weather. i saw a story on Dateline or one of those shows about a couple who were up around Tahoe in winter,drove around a closed gate, got stuck in heavy snow, a storm came in, the guy tried to walk out and later so did the woman. She found his body down the road a ways and lucky for her, relatives figured out where they might have gone and found her before she froze to death too. All preventable.

Edited by TomD (10/04/13 08:41 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 397 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum