Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#165983 - 05/20/12 09:43 AM The (new) little cabin in the big mountains
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Normally by this time of year, we would have done at least one or two backpacking trips into the Sierra. And this year, with the lower snow levels, we had plans to really hit the mountains early and often.

But those plans have been put on hold.About two months ago we were idly scanning the real estate ads for Tuolumne County...and the next thing you know, we found ourselves buying a cabin up by Twain Harte. It's a nice location, with easy access to both Yosemite some of our favorite wilderness areas, like Emigrant, Hoover, and Carson-Iceberg. The price was right, even if the cabin needed a lot of work.

And what the heck, it was just a cabin, so how complicated could it be, right?

Well, it was a lot more complicated than we would have guesses. And after working through some ridiculous details with the fine public servants at Freddie Mac, we finally closed escrow about a week ago.

Of course, that meant that we couldn't leave town until we closed escrow, which was supposed to happen "any day" for over two weeks. And now there are a million things that we want to do up there...and so our last two weekends have been spent tearing off old plywood, ripping out old carpet, cleaning, connecting the water, electricity, septic and gas, and refinishing the woodwork.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#165985 - 05/20/12 01:06 PM Re: The (new) little cabin in the big mountains [Re: balzaccom]
Rayman1968 Offline

Loc: Ventura, CA.
Congrats. I'd love to do something like this myself some day.

Post some pics.

#165986 - 05/20/12 01:08 PM Re: The (new) little cabin in the big mountains [Re: balzaccom]
PerryMK Offline

Loc: Florida panhandle
Are you complaining or bragging? grin

Congratulations. It sounds like it will be a lot of fun.

#165987 - 05/20/12 02:42 PM Re: The (new) little cabin in the big mountains [Re: PerryMK]
balzaccom Offline

a little bit of both. The place needs a lot of work...currently hoping to get septic, water and gas connections repaired this week. But yeah, once we get it up and running, it will be a nice home base right near some of our favorite hiking areas...

Photos are on the blog on our website

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#165988 - 05/20/12 04:17 PM Re: The (new) little cabin in the big mountains [Re: balzaccom]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
My folks had friends here and there who had a second home/cabin in the central Sierra, living in Modesto until 1965 when we moved to Nevada. We visited most of those communities from along 50 down to Sonora way and hit Yosemite a few times. Way to go, a nice place to go when it gets hot in the valley. I'd like to be a snow bird when I retire in 7 years, camp here and there in the desert and visit the foothill communities, come home once a month maybe to shovel snow.
Duane

#166007 - 05/20/12 09:12 PM Re: The (new) little cabin in the big mountains [Re: balzaccom]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
IS there winter access?

Sometimes its easier to plow em down and start over, especially if its old eough to have alot of code problems.

Perhaps the nicest fix, if your local codes permit, is to replace it with a modern manufactured home. For 40 to 60 k you can buy a mansion and people will give you one if you are there when the are ready to replace it. One neat thing about them is that no foundation is required although skirting is a good idea.

So how sound are the floors and roof? Windows? have em? do they open? new jeldwens are nice, get high e.

Have you had an experienced inspector look at it?

I hope you get a lot of enjoyment from it, because thats where you will be heading out to. I think you may want to stay up there in the summers. My home here in Bend by the lava flow is definitely a "cabin in the mountains". Its 80 miles to the first house west of us. Its pretty awesome living the life of the "mountain man".

Jim smile

Edited by Jimshaw (05/20/12 09:15 PM)

#166013 - 05/21/12 12:37 AM Re: The (new) little cabin in the big mountains [Re: Jimshaw]
balzaccom Offline

Hi Jim

If you check out the photos on our blog, you'll see that there is some really wonderful craftman-style wood working in this one. The basic bones are really well made and in great shape. The stuff that people added later needs to be removed...and a friend in the area is a contractor, so he has not only inspected, but is advising us. Should be a pretty trick little cabin when we are done!

#166033 - 05/21/12 12:11 PM Re: The (new) little cabin in the big mountains [Re: balzaccom]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I agree, the bones look solid and the stone work is beautiful! It looks like you picked up a nice piece of property. How much land did it come with?

#166076 - 05/22/12 01:01 AM Re: The (new) little cabin in the big mountains [Re: BZH]
balzaccom Offline

half an acre in the Stanislaus National Forest.

#166082 - 05/22/12 09:42 AM Re: The (new) little cabin in the big mountains [Re: balzaccom]
intrek38 Offline

Loc: Hesperia, Calif
Congrats on your new home, nice area to live. Home is what you make it, whether it be a tent or a mansion. I'm sure many adventures are sure to come your way. Just make sure to get in at least one good trip this year, we sure do enjoy your reports.

#166133 - 05/24/12 12:57 AM Re: The (new) little cabin in the big mountains [Re: balzaccom]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Congradulations to you two! What a great find.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum