Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#150308 - 05/14/11 09:14 PM Deoderizing a backpack ?
Cubleader Offline

Loc: PA
I'm getting back into packing now that my son is old enough and showing some interest. I really haven't done any real trips since Boyscouts. My dad was active in the troop. Anyway... He gave me his old external frame Jansport. It's very comfortable and I plan to use it for a while. The only problem is that he put it in an oversized garbage bag and sealed it up for a couple years. It has a "sour" smell to it that gets worse with humidity. I don't want my gear (or myself) to smell like this. How can I get that smell out? Could I take it off the frame and wash it in the machine on delicate? What else can I do?

#150310 - 05/14/11 09:29 PM Re: Deoderizing a backpack ? [Re: Cubleader]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Well, if it comes off the frame easily I don't see why washing would hurt it. I'd use cold water and the gentle cycle and let it air dry.

You might just spray it with some Febreze Fabric refreshener and odor remover. That stuff works pretty good.

Or you could put it in a new plastic bag with a box of baking soda for a few days to see how that works. Baking soda works pretty good at sucking the nasty smells out of a lot of things. I think I'd try this first and work my way to washing as a last resort since it's an older bag.

But I've never had to deal with that problem, so others here may have better advice.

"You want to go where?"

#150315 - 05/14/11 10:29 PM Re: Deoderizing a backpack ? [Re: Cubleader]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
You should be able to remove the bag from frame and try to soak it--perhaps in baking soda or vinegar or bleach or...

My fear is that sour smell is failing urethane coating on the pack cloth. It's a common problem in old waterproof gear. If the surface feels sticky or if it's separating or sloughing off, the bag may be shot.

Good luck!

Originally Posted By Cubleader
I'm getting back into packing now that my son is old enough and showing some interest. I really haven't done any real trips since Boyscouts. My dad was active in the troop. Anyway... He gave me his old external frame Jansport. It's very comfortable and I plan to use it for a while. The only problem is that he put it in an oversized garbage bag and sealed it up for a couple years. It has a "sour" smell to it that gets worse with humidity. I don't want my gear (or myself) to smell like this. How can I get that smell out? Could I take it off the frame and wash it in the machine on delicate? What else can I do?

#150324 - 05/15/11 04:25 AM Re: Deoderizing a backpack ? [Re: Rick_D]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I would try airing it out for a bit and if that doesn't succeed, hand wash it gently. The waterproof coating is probably shot, but the bag can still be used- after all, when you pull off the coating, it will be slightly lighter and jsut as strong.

#150400 - 05/16/11 01:14 PM Re: Deoderizing a backpack ? [Re: Rick_D]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
If the bag ends up being shot, you can still use the frame and suspension. All you need to do is either buy a bunch of large stuff sacks, or sew your own, and attach them to the frame.

#150436 - 05/16/11 10:50 PM Re: Deoderizing a backpack ? [Re: Rick_D]
Cubleader Offline

Loc: PA
I think Rick was right on the money about it being the urethane coating. It actually did have sort of a sticky feeling to it. Here's the GOOD NEWS... I figured I didn't have much to lose and considering that it was sticky... after work today I took it off the frame and washed it in the front loader on delicate using Febreeze enhanced laundry detergent. I put it back on the frame and it's already dried out. The smell is gone. It was surely the coating on the interior of the pack. After the wash, the coating inside was flaking off. I took the shop vac and pulled most of the loose stuff off. The fabric itself is just fine. I'll check it again in a few days to see if the smell returns but I think I got it.I'm not concerned about it not being waterproof. I was plannign to get a rain cover anyway. Out of curiousity, I checked out the popular web auction site and found the exact samepack up for auction for $65. It's listed as a "Professional" model.

#150484 - 05/17/11 02:17 PM Re: Deoderizing a backpack ? [Re: Cubleader]
OldScout Offline

Loc: Puget Sound, Washington
Off topic but you might not want to rely on a external pack cover to keep things dry. A lot of rainwater can go down your back also. I would line the inside of the pack with a plastic bag (contractors bags and trash compacter bags work best because they are thicker)to keep everything nice and dry, even from your own sweat or dropping the pack in that stream you are trying to cross.

#150488 - 05/17/11 03:15 PM Re: Deoderizing a backpack ? [Re: OldScout]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
To reinforce what OldScout said, making a pack out of waterproof fabric doesn't make for a waterproof pack. There are too many ways for water to get in. A pack cover doesn't really do what it is supposed to do, either, because it necessarily has a huge hole that faces your back.

A waterproof liner for a pack is the most sensible solution, and generally can be done cheaply in terms of both cost and weight. Trash compactor bags are quite popular for this. You can find them in the same section with leaf bags and other trash bags.

#150495 - 05/17/11 05:10 PM Re: Deoderizing a backpack ? [Re: aimless]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Just avoid scented bags--rather difficult these days with trash compactor bags. If you can't find unscented ones, you can get contractor trash bags (also of 2 mil plastic) and trim them to the size of your pack.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 105 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum