Since the weather is darn near perfect this time of year, I had a window to go backcountry camping for one night and I took it. This is my first trip with my new Cosmic Kelty 21 degree down bag, and it kept me nice and warm in the upper 40's. I should have brought bug spray, but didn't. The creepy crawlies are starting to emerge, and the sight of most of them makes me long for winter again. *shudder*.

I didn't sleep well this trip. I was very warm and fell asleep quickly but I woke up too early with hip pain and general uncomfortableness. I'm hoping my weight loss plans will help out with that, because when I was skinnier I don't remember ever complaining about discomfort while camping. I'm still a noob at this stuff, but for the first time I feel I have enough of the right gear and skills to tackle any basic backcountry trip.

Here's the permit!

At the park Inn waiting on the ranger to arrive with my permit

Here's my campsite with my little tent, fire ring, and a big ass log to sit on next to the fire.

I spent about an hour gathering and processing firewood. Fortunately, a lot of it was cedar. I love the way cedar smells and crackles.

This was my water source. A small spring that fed directly into the Duck River. You can't see it, but it's on a hill and took some maneuvering and a rock to the the Katadyn filter bulb to stay put.

A bridge

Some woods

Along some of the trails in the park there's some weird piles of junk that look like they are from the 80's. Who would haul all their crap through thick woods just to dump it? Seems like it would actually be easier to dispose of it properly.

This is the River Trail that follows along the Duck River in Marshall County, TN and leads to the backcountry campsites.

I used a Lincoln log method to build my fire this time, and in no time at all it was blazing!

A beautiful Tennessee sunset

Edited by nashscan (04/21/14 06:53 PM)