Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#167893 - 07/17/12 10:49 PM Tahoe/Eldorado NF hiking/camping/backpacking?
Wilderness70 Offline

Tl;DR - Looking for good campgrounds in the Desolation Wilderness/Highway 50 area WSW of Lake Tahoe that are good bases for long day-hikes or a quick overnighter.

I've read through some of the trip reports here, but haven't found anything that gives me a lot of input, so sorry if these questions have been answered in previous threads.

My brother's bachelor party is in Tahoe in a couple of weeks, so of course I thought this would be a good time to head out a few days in advance and enjoy the mountains. I was wondering if anyone had some advice on campgrounds & hikes. I'd like to stay relatively close to the SW side of the lake... pretty much anywhere along Highway 50 because I'm coming from Sacramento.

I'm probably taking my mountain bike with me, and while it will be locked to the hitch carrier, I don't feel comfortable leaving it overnight, so unfortunately I probably won't be doing any backpacking but rather hiking out of a base-camp. Wright Lake seemed like a decent option, but I was wondering if anyone had any input.

Also, are there any great day hikes in that area? Mt. Tallac caught my attention, so if anyone has any experience with that trail (difficulty, etc) input would be appreciated. Also if there are quick overnighter or two night trips in that area that are amazing, it may motivate me to leave my bike at home.

Edit to add: Not looking for biking/multi-use trails, will be biking during the weekend in South Lake Tahoe area. This inquiry solely deals with hiking.

Edited by Whiskeyguy (07/17/12 10:53 PM)

#167899 - 07/18/12 01:13 PM Re: Tahoe/Eldorado NF hiking/camping/backpacking? [Re: Wilderness70]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Activities, a dayhike up Tallac would be great, awesome views of Lake Tahoe. Eagle Lake up the Eagle Falls trail is pretty, but will be highly used, limited parking mid morning or later, no place to leave your mb unattended.
Duane

#167900 - 07/18/12 01:29 PM Re: Tahoe/Eldorado NF hiking/camping/backpacking? [Re: Wilderness70]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Tallac is a nice hike and quite a workout. You can walk to the trailhead from Fallen Leaf Lake campground, should you decide to stay there. Wright's Lake campground is to the west, before Echo Summit, and the area features IMHO the best hiking in Desolation via several trailheads. It's not a quick drive to Lake Tahoe from there though, as it's roughly a half hour from Highway 50 on a windy road.

Cheers,

#167903 - 07/18/12 05:32 PM Re: Tahoe/Eldorado NF hiking/camping/backpacking? [Re: Rick_D]
Wilderness70 Offline

Thanks for the input. The remaining campsites were going fast, so I booked Wed & Thur night at Wrights Lake. That will give me 1-1.5 days of hiking in that area, and then Friday morning I plan on getting up early and driving to the Mt. Tallac trailhead and doing that hike (Friday and Saturday nights we have a house in South Lake Tahoe).

Speaking of the Mt. Tallac hike, what should I expect? The reports I've read online have been extremely fluctuating. I'll read one that calls it a moderate 6 hour hike, and another will call it a difficult 12 hour hike. 12 hours seems pretty obnoxious to me... from just looking at the maps and pictures I initially thought 8 hours would give me plenty of time to relax at the top and take my time.

The reason I ask is I have to be back in South Lake Tahoe by around 5 PM, and plan on starting the hike around 6-7 AM.

#167906 - 07/18/12 07:49 PM Re: Tahoe/Eldorado NF hiking/camping/backpacking? [Re: Wilderness70]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Well, I have always started at Glen Alpine Springs, going around Fallen Leaf to the TH. I'm 58, I can make Gilmore Lake in under 2 hours or so, Tallac is less than another hour, so 8 hours or less for round trip might be accurate with time at the top. You'd have to be in sorry shape to take 12 hours, you mt bike, so it should be easy. There are steps and stairs here and there, so that takes its toll on the legs, I just walk on the timbers along the trai. You'll see what I mean when you take the turn to head to Gilmore. You can always jog on the downhill or turn around if time is short, it will all still be worth it. Beware, at the south east side of Fallen Leaf, the road is narrow and you have to dart now and then for pullouts to let other cars by. This was the first area I bped to when I moved to South Lake Tahoe the first time and was still a newbie bper. You'll enjoy some to the historic homes by Glen Alpine, gets you to thinking what it was like in the 50's or there abouts.
Duane

#167911 - 07/18/12 10:15 PM Re: Tahoe/Eldorado NF hiking/camping/backpacking? [Re: hikerduane]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
Wright's Lake is a great trailhead, with lots of hikes to lakes within ten miles there. Great choice!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#167937 - 07/20/12 11:14 PM Re: Tahoe/Eldorado NF hiking/camping/backpacking? [Re: hikerduane]
Wilderness70 Offline

Originally Posted By hikerduane
Well, I have always started at Glen Alpine Springs, going around Fallen Leaf to the TH. I'm 58, I can make Gilmore Lake in under 2 hours or so, Tallac is less than another hour, so 8 hours or less for round trip might be accurate with time at the top. You'd have to be in sorry shape to take 12 hours, you mt bike, so it should be easy. There are steps and stairs here and there, so that takes its toll on the legs, I just walk on the timbers along the trai. You'll see what I mean when you take the turn to head to Gilmore. You can always jog on the downhill or turn around if time is short, it will all still be worth it. Beware, at the south east side of Fallen Leaf, the road is narrow and you have to dart now and then for pullouts to let other cars by. This was the first area I bped to when I moved to South Lake Tahoe the first time and was still a newbie bper. You'll enjoy some to the historic homes by Glen Alpine, gets you to thinking what it was like in the 50's or there abouts.
Duane

Thanks for the insight... if I were to be honest I own a mountain bike... which doesn't mean I actually go mountain biking haha. I'm taking it more out of guilt that I never use it. However I do hike a lot, and while I'm not in the best shape of my life I make up for it with willpower and relative youthfulness (I'm 28). Also when I backpacking I carry around 50 lbs, so that helps immensely when I day hike with only around 10-15 lbs.

I'm getting pretty excited for this, and glad I scheduled a couple of days to do some hiking. It seems like a waste to just drive past those beautiful mountains on the way to party all weekend at some vacation home.

Edited by Whiskeyguy (07/20/12 11:14 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Bear Facts
by balzaccom
05/10/24 10:47 AM
Aramark
by balzaccom
05/10/24 10:46 AM
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 164 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
dellagoss, StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky
13242 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum