Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#134256 - 05/26/10 02:45 AM Where would you backpack if you were me??
Hikeupmypants Offline

My plan is to leave from Chicago with my car and backpacking gear June 21st and I have to be back by July 23rd. I also have to be in Vegas from July 1st to July 4th. The rest is all time for driving, backpacking, and exploring! Also I'm a bit of novice backpacker but in excellent shape, but I probably won't be doing anything too long (nothing longer than a week). But anyway if you were me what area/trails would plan on hitting?! Thanks

Edited by Hikeupmypants (05/26/10 02:46 AM)

#134257 - 05/26/10 07:56 AM Re: Where would you backpack if you were me?? [Re: Hikeupmypants]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
Gila Wilderness, New Mexico - beautiful and isolated

#134441 - 05/30/10 10:46 PM Re: Where would you backpack if you were me?? [Re: oldranger]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
You might want to try the Porcupine Mountains in the Upper Penninsula of MI, just east of the border with WI. Easy to get too, easy to get a permit, just drive up and ask, beautiful country but not so deserted that you won't see anyone. Of course in late June and July, the bugs will be fierce but that is true just about anywhere.

#134447 - 05/31/10 10:41 AM Re: Where would you backpack if you were me?? [Re: thecook]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
When "bugs are fierce" I go to the coast or desert. Anywhere windy is good. No coast between Chicago and Las Vegas, so that leaves high desert. How about Zion? Escalante?

#134458 - 05/31/10 05:59 PM Re: Where would you backpack if you were me?? [Re: wandering_daisy]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Bah. Bugs are fierce at the nicest times in the alpine! when all the flowers are out!

If you can't deal with bugs and a bit of snow you miss good stuff wink

Browse my pictures

#134461 - 05/31/10 07:17 PM Re: Where would you backpack if you were me?? [Re: phat]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I will take snow over bugs any day! One of the few times I actually bailed out of a trip was for bugs. Moderate bugs, I can handle; fierce with bugs - I leave.

#134462 - 05/31/10 08:02 PM Re: Where would you backpack if you were me?? [Re: Hikeupmypants]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
you have many options, but the first decision is which highway system you will follow, or whether to stay off highways altogether. Since Chicago is sort of north you have your choice of I80 through Wyoming, the southern highway 40, or anything in between, as well as a junket above the border into Canada. Since you're coming from Chicago you might enjoy the southern route and doing some desert trails, OR getting in some mountain time - and if so cross through Colorado. Zion and that Utah bunch of parks, and the Escalante area, offer some very different terrain than you are used to seeing.
Jim

#134470 - 05/31/10 09:43 PM Re: Where would you backpack if you were me?? [Re: Jimshaw]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Canada would be quite the diversion for you though. not that
the very bottom of Alberta/BC around waterton isn't nice, but
you can probably get similar nice stuff in Wyoming (wind rivers) without getting as far out of your way going from chicago to vegas.

If *I* were you I might think about Zion or Gila in new mexico as mentioned though, but that's just because I do rocky mountains all the time up here. doing desert for me would be different and I haven't been to those places
Browse my pictures

#134587 - 06/02/10 05:37 PM Re: Where would you backpack if you were me?? [Re: phat]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
The year I visited the Porcupines in Michigan's UP in mid-June, my dog and I nearly were eaten to death by massive swarms of flies! It was too hot to stay in the tent. I loaded my dog into the car, drove up and down local roads as fast as I could with the windows open to blow out the flies, then shut the windows and drove around with the air conditioning on until dark. Repellent didn't seem to have any effect. If you're going there in June, wear a headnet, long sleeves, long pants and leave the dog at home!

The UP in August, on the other hand, is wonderful!

#134635 - 06/03/10 05:24 AM Re: Where would you backpack if you were me?? [Re: OregonMouse]
Hikeupmypants Offline

Well my tentative plan is to take I70 through Colorado and Utah to get to Vegas. I'd like to hike around in Rocky Mtn Natl Park for a few days, although I have a feeling it will be hard to get a permit. Then I think I'm gonna do a few days in either canyonlands or escalante assuming I can take the heat. After Vegas I'd like to head up through the Sierras, then take the high road home through Idaho and Wyoming and take I80 back to Chicago. I was hoping to kind of wing the trip, but that seems to be a bit tough to having to get all the back country permits and stuff, so we'll see...

#134678 - 06/03/10 11:11 PM Re: Where would you backpack if you were me?? [Re: Hikeupmypants]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
If you backpack in national forests instead of national parks, you don't need to bother with backcountry permits, except in a very few high-impact areas (such as the Enchantment Lakes area of Washington). The most you'll need to do is to fill out a form at the trailhead. IMHO, the scenery is just as good and there are usually a lot less people!

#134697 - 06/04/10 11:27 AM Re: Where would you backpack if you were me?? [Re: OregonMouse]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
I agree with mouse, there are plenty of great places in the west with no quotas, I avoid national parks. You will like Escalante... The Burr trail was great when I was there.
Jim

#134731 - 06/04/10 10:49 PM Re: Where would you backpack if you were me?? [Re: Jimshaw]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I will chime in with mouse and shaw, and I enjoyed a forty year + career with the National Park Service. I always had a fondness for Forest Service wilderness areas (hence my response nominating the Gila Wilderness).

If you are going to go where everyone goes, you must reconcile with the hassles of the permit system. If you are willing to take the road less traveled, permit issues will largely vanish.

Permits and paperwork in the Gila Wilderness have actually declined over the years I have been hiking there.

#134860 - 06/08/10 07:09 PM Re: Where would you backpack if you were me?? [Re: Hikeupmypants]
Swimswithtrout Offline

Loc: Colorado
That early in the season, you might be fine in RMNP, especially mid week.

I'm surprised nobodies mentioned it, but if you're coming back through WY, it would a sacrilege to not visit the Winds.

Then again the Beartooth's are right there as well.

No permits required for either.

Choices, choices, and so little time.

#135253 - 06/17/10 07:15 PM Re: Where would you backpack if you were me?? [Re: Swimswithtrout]
countr21 Offline

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Originally Posted By Swimswithtrout
That early in the season, you might be fine in RMNP, especially mid week.

I'm surprised nobodies mentioned it, but if you're coming back through WY, it would a sacrilege to not visit the Winds.

Then again the Beartooth's are right there as well.

No permits required for either.

Choices, choices, and so little time.

I agree about the Winds. But I don't know if the trails are gonna be passable. Currently, the Winds have a higher than normal snow pack. Some places are still reporting 200%+ pack. The OP said they would not be into Wyoming until mid to late July. I think there's just gonna too much snow up there still.

#135255 - 06/17/10 07:26 PM Re: Where would you backpack if you were me?? [Re: Hikeupmypants]
countr21 Offline

Loc: Denver, Colorado
If you're coming through Colorado, avoid RMNP like the plague. Stay out of national parks and take advantage of all the incredible wilderness areas. If you're into fishing, try the Flat Tops. They'll be almost snow free by the time you'll be there.

Or I would recommend the Weminuche Wilderness. It's huge. The backpacking options are unlimited. And for pure ruggedness and beauty, it rivals RMNP but minus the crowds and regs.

For complete isolation, head to the West Elk Wildernesss. You'll have 1000s of acres all to yourself in June and July.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 116 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum