Extended the holiday weekend to take a dayhike up Lyons Creek, which enters Desolation's southwest corner. Those following the California snowpack know there was little snow and a record warm-and-dry spring has melted much of it. However, the last three weeks in Nor-Cal have been cool with enough moisture making it to the mountains to storm there daily. Did it amount to anything?

My day began sunny with a few clouds and perfect hiking temps. The trail was boggy from the start and Lyons Creek made itself known from a good distance, signs the rains really did help. Trailhead is about 6,800 ft and not a scrap of snow to be seen--really unusual for late May and in fact, I didn't find the first bit of snow until about 7,500. The trail is in decent shape but serving as a streambed in many places, which slows things, as do several uncleared deadfalls. I turned back at the creek crossing just before the Lyons Lake trail branch, as it was running high and snow impeded access to safer crossing points I sometimes use upstream. Not much point in becoming a statistic.

Clouds piled up as the day went on and it rained on my lunch spot on the creek. Might have been thunder but hard to tell over the creek's roar. Probably the last hurrah for this weather pattern, as heat is returning to the valley and no more moisture is pushing inland from the Pacific.

No bugs and few wildflowers; I expect both will be peaking in a week or two. Saw just one hiking party early in the day and a BIG deer on the hike out. Otherwise it was just Lyons Creek to keep me company on a nice day's walk. With the wet trail I was very happy to be wearing Goretex mid-tops, which were perfect.

For trip planning, trailheads are already accessible but Wrights Lake campgrounds are not yet open. Trailhead self-serve permit stations aren't up yet. Expect soggy travel and camping for awhile, as well as snow in sheltered spots above 8k. Those familiar with Desolation will know a few dependable backcountry campsites for the early backpacker and based on yesterday, I can't see any reason to not head there right now. Beat the crowds, beat the bugs, enjoy the creeks while they're flowing.

Cheers,