Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#180483 - 11/03/13 08:42 PM Backpacking and Hunting or Fishing
anton Offline

A friend and my self are looking to go on a backpacking trip next summer. We live in Ohio and would like to go on a week long trip, starting saturday coming back the following saturday. I am looking for a place where we can go backpacking and be able to fish or hunt small game for food. He is an experienced hunter and ex military, I am an experienced fisherman and primitive camper. I have searched and searched for somewhere to do this that would be not much more than a days drive as to not waste our vacation days just getting somewhere. Anyone that can help point me in the right direction would be appreciated.

#180494 - 11/04/13 01:18 PM Re: Backpacking and Hunting or Fishing [Re: anton]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Hunting any small game requires a hunting license for the state you are in and generally can be done only during specific hunting seasons. In nearly all states, non-resident hunting licenses are extremely expensive, so unless you have a a really big budget, you're limited to the state of your residence. The type of firearm you may use may also be restricted. The hike would also have to take place during the appropriate hunting season, generally in late fall.

Hunting is also a lot like fishing--if you rely on it for part of your food supply, you rarely catch any. Only if you carry a full food supply will you catch enough! The same is true of berry picking--if you rely on berries for part of your food, there will be very few available. Been there, done that, for both!

We do have a couple of Ohioans here who may be able to help on a location for a week's backpack.

#180504 - 11/04/13 10:17 PM Re: Backpacking and Hunting or Fishing [Re: anton]
jimmyb Offline

IMO summer time around hiking trails would not be the time to go hunting small game. Chances are good there isn't an appropriate legal season and the typical firearm of choice for much small game is a small caliber rifle such as a 22LR. That's not a great choice around any sort of population in that the bullet is extremely prone to ricochet and can travel far out or your visual range. I would suggest fishing would be better for those around you and much more sporting at that. I used to hunt years ago but gave it up when the usable safe quantities of land were populated or bordered with heavier populations. It just didn't make good sense anymore, and quite frankly it was not at all sporting enough for me. Shooting little black circles at 1000yds was much more challenging. laugh If you can get far enough into the wilderness and still enjoy a LEGAL hunt more power to you. I know for MYSELF at least (a multi time state champion and distinguished rifle man in the sport of high power rifle) that the trail systems are not where I want to carry a firearm. As I do enjoy the right to, it is not always wise to exercise it. I much prefer to enjoy watching the wildlife, killing it never has brought me much joy. If I were relying upon it as a food source I would gladly return to harvesting it but not for just a backpacking outing. Another way to go would be using a snare or gathering insects, snails, grubs ect to supply your protein. That would prove you far more worthy in a survival situation. Far better than shooting small game. smile

Please do not take the preceding as any sort of ant-gun, anti-hunting statement as you will not find a more staunch defender of the 2nd amendment and the protections it provides anywhere but every time I carry a firearm I am representing the entire community of gun owners in the eyes of those who do not agree with me doing so.

jimmyb

#180511 - 11/05/13 08:38 AM Re: Backpacking and Hunting or Fishing [Re: anton]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
The only helpful advice I have is that you'll have to avoid the national parks. cool I know you can do big game hunting in national forest in Alabama during hunting season, but I'm not sure what the regulation or if there even is one on small games.

Edited by ETSU Pride (11/05/13 08:39 AM)

#180512 - 11/05/13 11:39 AM Re: Backpacking and Hunting or Fishing [Re: jimmyb]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Originally Posted By jimmyb

IMO summer time around hiking trails would not be the time to go hunting small game. Chances are good there isn't an appropriate legal season and the typical firearm of choice for much small game is a small caliber rifle such as a 22LR. That's not a great choice around any sort of population in that the bullet is extremely prone to ricochet and can travel far out or your visual range. I would suggest fishing would be better for those around you and much more sporting at that. I used to hunt years ago but gave it up when the usable safe quantities of land were populated or bordered with heavier populations. It just didn't make good sense anymore, and quite frankly it was not at all sporting enough for me. Shooting little black circles at 1000yds was much more challenging. laugh If you can get far enough into the wilderness and still enjoy a LEGAL hunt more power to you. I know for MYSELF at least (a multi time state champion and distinguished rifle man in the sport of high power rifle) that the trail systems are not where I want to carry a firearm. As I do enjoy the right to, it is not always wise to exercise it. I much prefer to enjoy watching the wildlife, killing it never has brought me much joy. If I were relying upon it as a food source I would gladly return to harvesting it but not for just a backpacking outing. Another way to go would be using a snare or gathering insects, snails, grubs ect to supply your protein. That would prove you far more worthy in a survival situation. Far better than shooting small game. smile

Please do not take the preceding as any sort of ant-gun, anti-hunting statement as you will not find a more staunch defender of the 2nd amendment and the protections it provides anywhere but every time I carry a firearm I am representing the entire community of gun owners in the eyes of those who do not agree with me doing so.

jimmyb

This is a great post, Jimmy, and it really addresses the issue from a technical foundation, rather than a political one. Nice work.

And I would add that trying to live off fish caught in the wild is a losing proposition. Fish simply don't have enough fat/calories to keep most of us alive for very long. you'd have to eat a lot of fish...

Which is why bears eat so many berries and grubs, as you suggested. And it's also why bears lose weight most of the year...and then eat over 10,000 calories a day in the fall to bulk up for the hungry season.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#180515 - 11/05/13 01:48 PM Re: Backpacking and Hunting or Fishing [Re: balzaccom]
jimmyb Offline

Wheh! I am so glad you 'got' the post. I have been sweating it a bit as I am very new to this board and it has been a pleasure hanging around. I did not want to step on toes. I try to always look at my actions carefully and in a manner of how they will effect those around me and their enjoyment. I hope I am always able to fight for what I believe in but I no longer want to do it in a 'politcal' manner rather one that comes from education, truths and life's experiences.

thanks again for your understanding, jimmyb

#180516 - 11/05/13 02:50 PM Re: Backpacking and Hunting or Fishing [Re: jimmyb]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
+2 in praise of Jimmyb's excellent post!

Edited by OregonMouse (11/05/13 02:50 PM)

#180521 - 11/05/13 09:37 PM Re: Backpacking and Hunting or Fishing [Re: OregonMouse]
anton Offline

Thanks guys,

I figured it would be tough, we were simply thinking squirrel or rabbit as the game we would go for. We had planned on packing some rice and oatmeal (things of that nature) as it is not going to expire and the carbs are good energy. I was thinking of the small game and fish for our proteins.

I am very excited about the response, while searching I have noticed a lot of the backpacking community is more of an enjoy the squirrel don't eat the squirrel type group ( I enjoy them too, I go the park every day on lunch to photograph them and other wildlife)

If anyone has any other ideas I am certainly open to them.

Thanks guys.

#180522 - 11/05/13 10:19 PM Re: Backpacking and Hunting or Fishing [Re: anton]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
I have no concern about anyone eating squirrels. Some small game animals are considered nuisances and it is open season all year long in a few states. If you follow the rules, I have no quarrel with you about that.

My main concern is for the safe use of guns anywhere an errant bullet might hurt a hiker. I've not seen many people discharging firearms when I've been hiking, but the few times I have gave me the willies, because the shooters had no idea what was beyond their target, which in one memorable case was me, walking off-trail. I'd counsel using snares and hooks if you have the slightest notion someone else might be nearby.

#180524 - 11/05/13 11:33 PM Re: Backpacking and Hunting or Fishing [Re: anton]
jimmyb Offline

Anton, don't wait till your summer vacation to enjoy BPing. Make sure you get out and enjoy some weekend BPing in your area with your buddies. Not sure how much experience you have but you sure can hone your skills on short trips. You will then be able to dial in your needs for a longer trek. The time to make the mistakes like too much gear or not enough food is better found out on a weekender. You will also find out how compatible with your hiking partner you are. How much ground you want to hike each day, ect.

There are a great many books you can read in between now and summer to get a better idea of where you would like to go.

Depending on what your funds will look like in summer you can sometimes get a cheap airfare that is less than the cost of driving nowadays. Split a cheap rental car and go adventuring.

Let us know what part of Ohio you are in and how many miles you would want to travel to get to your destination.

jimmyb

#180530 - 11/06/13 08:36 AM Re: Backpacking and Hunting or Fishing [Re: anton]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Originally Posted By anton
Thanks guys,

I figured it would be tough, we were simply thinking squirrel or rabbit as the game we would go for. We had planned on packing some rice and oatmeal (things of that nature) as it is not going to expire and the carbs are good energy. I was thinking of the small game and fish for our proteins.

I am very excited about the response, while searching I have noticed a lot of the backpacking community is more of an enjoy the squirrel don't eat the squirrel type group ( I enjoy them too, I go the park every day on lunch to photograph them and other wildlife)

If anyone has any other ideas I am certainly open to them.

Thanks guys.

The Smokies is full of trouts and you can harvest them. One problem, I don't think I would gut and cook a trout in my campsite..... wink

#180546 - 11/06/13 05:19 PM Re: Backpacking and Hunting or Fishing [Re: jimmyb]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
You need to get into bow hunting. More challenging, safer, and the separate season keeps you away from the shoot-em-up drunks. In fact, in some waters you could also fish with a bow!

#180553 - 11/06/13 09:55 PM Re: Backpacking and Hunting or Fishing [Re: wandering_daisy]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
[u][/u]
Originally Posted By wandering_daisy
You need to get into bow hunting. More challenging, safer, and the separate season keeps you away from the shoot-em-up drunks. In fact, in some waters you could also fish with a bow!
oh I so agree, many places allow for bow hunting within city limits. I find bow hunting much more connecting, spiritual, and satisfying. Even better is traditional long bow. I love to shot my target after work, it's a very zen experience. Calms the soul.

#180554 - 11/06/13 10:26 PM Re: Backpacking and Hunting or Fishing [Re: wandering_daisy]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Bow hunting season for deer here now.

I tend to stay out of the forests during the first week of firearms season, but that's mostly out of respect for the hunters, not fear. Hunting accidents are pretty rare here. It's not like up in Wisconsin where they tend to go a little nuts opening weekend.

There's lots of places to hunt here, and lots of deer, and a pretty long season. I've never hunted, but I might someday try and take a deer. I have grown to like venison since moving here.

I good friend of mine in California told me about his last and final deer hunt there. He'd scouted a spot somewhere in the NFs north of LA a few times over the weeks leading to opening day and found some deer. The night before he drove up there and hiked to his spot in the dark and sat down by a tree next to a big clearing. Deer season officially opened at exactly sunrise, right about 6:00am. Just a few minutes before that he watched a doe walk out into the clearing. He checked his watch and raised his rifle about 30 seconds before the official time and counted off the seconds. The deer was in his crosshairs as he counted.

Just as he was ready to pull the trigger he heard what he said sounded like a hundred guns go off and he watched the deer fall in several directions. Shots were still being fired for a few more seconds after that and he scrambled behind his tree and hunkered down tight after hearing bullets whiz by way too close. Within a few more seconds hunters came running out of the forest from every direction with the intent to claim the deer and before any of them even reached the deer they were already hollering at each other.

He got up and went home feeling lucky to be alive and never hunted deer out there again.

"You want to go where?"

#180556 - 11/07/13 12:47 AM Re: Backpacking and Hunting or Fishing [Re: billstephenson]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Surely it was a buck, not a doe. Doe seasons are fairly rare. Anyway, nice story.

#180577 - 11/07/13 05:57 PM Re: Backpacking and Hunting or Fishing [Re: aimless]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
You're probably right. I remember that from when I lived out there, but that was long ago and the story was old when he told it to me.

They shoot em all here, and lots of them.

"You want to go where?"

#180933 - 11/22/13 11:03 PM Re: Backpacking and Hunting or Fishing [Re: anton]
Peter Sump Offline

Hello,

Australia may seems a perfect place for summer adventure and do lot of things. Certainly for backpackers and some hunting experience.

Hope you consider this little help smile

~Pete

#181023 - 11/29/13 01:09 PM Re: Backpacking and Hunting or Fishing [Re: Peter Sump]
Utah Se7en Offline

Brand new as a member here,love the site!
Since you are from Ohio,I will toss in the Upper Peninsula of michigan as an option.
Trout season opens the last saturday in april,and there are numerous small creeks and rivers to fish....
There is no closed season on woodchuck,red squirrel,or porcupine,all abundant there.
Bring bug dope and a good tent,mosquitos and blackflies are a guarantee.
I spent a few decades there,can give you specific ideas and locations if you like.

#181036 - 11/30/13 09:40 AM Re: Backpacking and Hunting or Fishing [Re: anton]
Chasing Crow Offline

Loc: oh
Anton,
I have done quite a bit of this kind of trip in Ohio. Most areas aren't very big so you may need to do more base camping and hunt/fish on day hike forays. If you are intending to do Ohio, check out sections of Wayne National Forest. Some areas will work. However, as mentioned in previous posts, there are no small game seasons in the summer. Fall and winter treks can fit your criteria, but remember Hunter Orange is at times needed and is generally a good idea all hunting season while in the woods. Squirrel or rabbit stew definitely add to camp dining! Good luck and be safe!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 193 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum