Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#195996 - 07/01/16 06:04 PM Long Trips With Small Dogs
Barefoot Friar Offline

Loc: Houston, Alabama
Maizy is a 17lbs ball of furry energy. She is a Certified Mongrel Dog -- actually, the vet thinks she's almost entirely some type of wirehaired terrier, and she's got a generous helping of schnauzer in her as well. She's about nine months old.

She walks on leash okay, and is getting better. She cables really well. She loves to explore.

I have two questions: First, can I take her on a 10 day trip next spring? Second, I know we will both need to hike a lot in preparation. Is there anything else I need to do for conditioning?

Oh, I thought of a third: I hammock. Do I need to take along a popup crate for her, or what?

Thanks for your help!

#196007 - 07/02/16 12:32 PM Re: Long Trips With Small Dogs [Re: Barefoot Friar]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I've been told that small dogs' joints tend to mature earlier than large dogs'. Since yours will be 18 months old by next spring, she should be OK as long as you work on conditioning (start very slow and work up) starting about her 1st birthday. Double check this with your vet, though.

If she were a large dog, such as a Labrador, you'd want to wait until after the 2nd birthday for a strenuous trip.

I've always used a tent, not a hammock, so have no idea what to suggest.

#196016 - 07/04/16 08:17 AM Re: Long Trips With Small Dogs [Re: OregonMouse]
Barefoot Friar Offline

Thank you. I've already got an appointment for a regular checkup with my vet, so I'll ask her. I just wanted to see if it was even a good question to ask.

It occurs to me I'll have to ask about how much food to give her, too.

Are there any other questions I should be asking?

#196018 - 07/04/16 04:20 PM Re: Long Trips With Small Dogs [Re: Barefoot Friar]
shuddleson Offline

Loc: Albuquerque, New Mexico
My wire hair fox terrier loves the hammock. He sleeps between my legs and under the quilt when it isn't too hot for him.

#196025 - 07/05/16 04:30 PM Re: Long Trips With Small Dogs [Re: shuddleson]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
One reason I never tried a hammock was because I considered the late Hysson (avatar) to be part of my sleep system (great foot warmer!), and the logistics of getting a 75-lb. dog into a hammock were not something I'd consider. For a small dog, of course, that might be different!

#196031 - 07/06/16 08:32 AM Re: Long Trips With Small Dogs [Re: OregonMouse]
Barefoot Friar Offline

This is worth some time to experiment. :-D

#196213 - 08/02/16 01:34 PM Re: Long Trips With Small Dogs [Re: Barefoot Friar]
Snappypepper Offline

We've taken our Pugs on a 20 mile, 2 day trek and they did great. They don't eat much, and it was a short trip, so food wasn't a big concern. Our bigger mutt dog is around 50lbs and we bring a mixture of his dry food, plain beef jerky, and Turbo Pup bars for him. We use a tent, so no help with the hammock question!

#196245 - 08/04/16 11:45 AM Re: Long Trips With Small Dogs [Re: Barefoot Friar]
Barefoot Friar Offline

My vet told me she's good to go, assuming I work her up to it over the next few months. She told me to make sure to take Gatorade along and give the dog some every day. She also said that the dog will probably want to eat more, so to factor that in to my packing list. She said she thinks I'll figure out how much more as we condition, but since the dog is already good about only eating what she wants it shouldn't be an issue if I take a little too much and just let the dog decide.

Since she's so small, I think she will only carry her water bowl and perhaps the day's food. I may decide even that much isn't worth it, so we'll see.

Now if this awful heat will break we can get to conditioning.

Thanks for the help!

#196249 - 08/05/16 05:29 AM Re: Long Trips With Small Dogs [Re: Barefoot Friar]
PerryMK Online   content

Loc: Florida panhandle
Originally Posted By Barefoot Friar
She also said that the dog will probably want to eat more,

I actually found the opposite with my dog. To ensure she ate enough I carried some powdered cheese (any kind will do) and sprinkled it on her food. Then she ate with gusto smile .

#196251 - 08/05/16 11:44 AM Re: Long Trips With Small Dogs [Re: PerryMK]
Barefoot Friar Offline

Originally Posted By PerryMK
Originally Posted By Barefoot Friar
She also said that the dog will probably want to eat more,

I actually found the opposite with my dog. To ensure she ate enough I carried some powdered cheese (any kind will do) and sprinkled it on her food. Then she ate with gusto smile .

Maizy LOVES peanut butter. I was thinking of seeing if she would do better if I mix her usual kibble in with a good dollop of peanut butter. That would add calories without too much trouble.

#196847 - 10/26/16 03:23 AM Re: Long Trips With Small Dogs [Re: Barefoot Friar]
bob1900 Offline

It must be very funny to take a trip with small dogs, i will go to a trip with my little dog.

#196858 - 10/27/16 09:53 PM Re: Long Trips With Small Dogs [Re: bob1900]
Barefoot Friar Offline

I took Maizy out with my brother on a short but strenuous overnight trip at the beginning of this month. She was far more energetic than either of us, and after a hard day of hiking was begging to play fetch. She quickly learned how to jump up over logs, even walking along several so she didn't get her feet wet. She asked to be carried through several very thick patches of brush, but otherwise walked the whole way. We're doing a longer trip the week before Thanksgiving, and I expect her to take it like a pro.

In the mean time, I've braided her a longer leash from some paracord I had. I've also decided to go to the hardware store and get the stuff to make her a light 10-15 foot cable. I took her 25-footer with us, and it was both too long and too heavy. I also have figured out that having a light carabiner on one of my pack straps somewhere (the ice pick loop was perfect) is great, especially when we stop and I drop pack. I can clip her leash to the pack and not worry about her running loose, while still getting my hands free.

#196859 - 10/28/16 05:10 AM Re: Long Trips With Small Dogs [Re: Barefoot Friar]
PerryMK Online   content

Loc: Florida panhandle
Sounds like you have a great hiking partner!

Moderator:  Glenn Roberts 
Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 55 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum