Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#190153 - 04/13/15 01:45 PM Crossing to the other side
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
So let's talk about crossing a stream. Not a river, but a tumbling little stream full of rocks and boulders.

I tend to rock hop across, a skill developing over decades of fly fishing in the Sierra. I can't dance a lick, but I can glide from one rock to the next quickly and seemingly without effort. My wife, on the other hand, struggles a bit with streams. She uses hiking poles, which help her balance, but she takes a slow, cautious, and even a bit fearful approach. This despite the fact that she dances with great elegance and style, and can never figure out why I am such a klutz on the dance floor.

So on our last trip into the wilds of Yosemite, I struck out across each stream and hopped across easily. My wife took much longer, slowly picking her way along. At least, until the last crossing of Bridalveil Creek, just a mile or two from the trailhead. In this case, she had really worried about this creek on the way over, and I was determined to find an easier way for her to cross.

So instead of carelessly hopping from rock to rock, I gently eased out onto a larger boulder, sat down on it, and then worked my way around to the other side, where I would reach a series of smaller stones and walk across. All went swimmingly (!) until it came time for me to push off the larger rock with my right foot. The bottom of that hiking boot had become wet in the process, and when I pushed off, it immediately slipped off the rock and threw me face first into the stream.

My wife hid her delight with expressions of concern, then walked twenty feet downstream where she carefully picked her way along a series of small flat rocks successfully. With bruises on both knees and wet feet to boot, I hiked the last two miles with a severely bruised ego.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#190171 - 04/14/15 10:16 AM Re: Crossing to the other side [Re: balzaccom]
dylansdad77 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Yet you live to tell the tale. And I am fairly certain that when your wife has a different approach to an obstacle, it poses a "no-win" situation for you. 2 options become clear:

1 - you succeed using your approach and she fails using hers = she's totally pissed at you for allowing her to fail

2 - she succeeds, you fail and she snickers at you for your stupidity

There is a 3rd option where you both succeed - this is the most dangerous because you walk away thinking you did everything right, but she still walks away thinking your a schmuck...alas this may be the most difficult of the 3 pills to swallow. As for me? Ignorance is bliss. At the end of the day, had you not slipped, this post most likely would not exist.

Aside from your pride, glad to hear you're ok...

#190173 - 04/14/15 10:46 AM Re: Crossing to the other side [Re: dylansdad77]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Originally Posted By dylansdad77
Yet you live to tell the tale. And I am fairly certain that when your wife has a different approach to an obstacle, it poses a "no-win" situation for you. 2 options become clear:

1 - you succeed using your approach and she fails using hers = she's totally pissed at you for allowing her to fail

2 - she succeeds, you fail and she snickers at you for your stupidity

There is a 3rd option where you both succeed - this is the most dangerous because you walk away thinking you did everything right, but she still walks away thinking your a schmuck...alas this may be the most difficult of the 3 pills to swallow. As for me? Ignorance is bliss. At the end of the day, had you not slipped, this post most likely would not exist.

Aside from your pride, glad to hear you're ok...

Actually, the fourth option is one we usually see: I succeed, she also succeeds, and we both continue down the trail without incident.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#190175 - 04/14/15 12:54 PM Re: Crossing to the other side [Re: balzaccom]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
When someone falls, it's always the man's fault even if he is at home.

#190177 - 04/14/15 02:13 PM Re: Crossing to the other side [Re: Gershon]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I never knew that I could blame someone else if I take a tumble! Thanks, Gershon!

#190183 - 04/14/15 04:57 PM Re: Crossing to the other side [Re: Gershon]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Danger, Will Robinson! You're perilously close to walking into the "If a man says something, and there's no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?" trap. As with walking off of any other cliff, it usually doesn't end well for you. smile

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 55 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum