Sorry the the similar post to another user, but I have another question about footwear. For the last few years, I've been a fairly infrequent hiker, but I've done quite a bit of hiking this summer. I'm planning to take it to the next level and do some through hikes. I'm planning a Presidential's traverse for next year. I need to replace my old low quality mid-cut waterproof light boots for something of higher quality for more serious trips.

Once complication is that I have sensitive feet and I do my serious hiking in Vermont or New Hampshire. Lots and lots of rock hopping. After my last hike (the Mt. Lafayette loop in Franconia Notch), I was thinking that I need to move to a stiffer heavier shoe. I tried on the Asolo Fugitive. I loved the shoe, but they are $225 and perhaps a bit heavier then I would like.

The more I research, though, people seem to recommend hiking shoes or trail runners. I've never worn these kind of shoes, but I do lots of easier hikes, with some rock hopping, in my regular old new balance street running shoes. I feel like I need more support than that for bigger hikes and/or backbacking trips. In particular, I feel like I need the support on the decent.

Does anybody have similar issues? Thoughts are appreciated.