Hey gang,

First off, nice website you have here.

Anyway, a friend of mine who does multi-day hikes/camping invited me to go along with him on some yet to be planned future outing. Told me not to buy gear because he has plenty of, I guess, old gear. I’m really excited about the idea, have read a couple books to get somewhat up to speed and did car camp a few times when my kids were young.

The problem is that he is ridiculously fit & I’m not. I told him up front that I want to go but would really slow him/them down. Said it “doesn’t matter…not a race…” But I really think he is underestimating my level of unfitness.

I hate to think that years from now they’ll be sitting around reminiscing “Hey, remember that time we took the fat guy…what was his name again?” So, a few times a week I’ve been walking a 3 mile trail near my house. This trail is kinda hilly, not easy to me but getting easier for both me and the dog. This loop takes me about 1.5 hours and I am sucking wind at the top of the climbs. I’m assuming they walk all day, fast, with packs, smiling…

Anyway, since I have no idea what to expect – how do I know if I can hack it? I’m afraid that I’ll show up woefully unprepared and wind up ruining everyone else’s good time.

Laps on this trail? Find a longer trail?

Thanks in advance.

Henry

Edited by Gurnard (10/14/09 12:10 AM)