I sincerely hope I'm in the right place to post; as my subject reads I'm new to all aspects of backpacking/hiking in general. My father tried to teach me when I was younger and I didn't really listen... Dad's been gone for three years now and I've been in a rut for the last seven. When he became sick, I lost all sense of me and what was important and while I'm still dealing with his death (he passed in my arms), I hear the outdoors calling my name again STRONGLY.

I really want to get back in touch with simple things, wholesome things... nature and all its beauty and wisdom.

My question is: where can I go within my location (just SW of Atlanta, GA) to seek instruction? I don't want to go blindly into the outdoors- I want to respect it and have it respect me in generally.

I'd ideally like to be prepared as much as I can before I start on trails again. Heck, I'd even welcome any friendship that came from my new venture into life.

Again, I hope I have the right section for posting this... if I don't, I do apologize.

Thank you in advance for any information you can point my way!

Warmly,
MiMi

Edited by UWGMiMi (06/29/09 03:02 PM)