Hey guys, I am just looking for some information regarding sleeping bags.

My wife and I live in Colorado and are three-season campers. We have been car-camping and day-hiking to rivers to fly-fish for many years, but just recently decided that we would love a new challenge; backpacking, but as fly-fishers, we need to carry more gear than most (waders, wading boots, rods, reels etc), most of this we have minimized already through experience and thus weight, along with functionality is an important part of our decision when purchasing equipment for both past-times.

However our current sleeping bags leave little to be desired, as far as weight and size are concerned, and thus we are in the market for new ones-- well, I am in the market for a new one, my wife already picked up a Marmot Angel Fire +15 bag which she is content with. I on the other-hand, am a little more picky.

Our budget is relatively tight ($200) and thus I was looking at the Kelty Light Year +20 bag because it was both lightweight and small when compressed. However being in Colorado and having often woken up to snow or ice on the ground and camping at various altitudes, I began thinking that not only a +20 bag might not be enough, but I am also worried about dampness/condensation/moisture with a down bag; what are your thoughts and experiences on this?

So I was toying with the idea of purchasing a zero degree bag, either TNF Snowshoe or the Kelty Light Year XP, mainly because these are the only two zero degree bags I can find available at REI that are within my budget. The problem of course is that both of these bags are much heavier (about 1 pound) and do not compress as well as the Kelty +20 bag.

Any advice on this choice?